What do your friends and family think about your crochet enthusiasm??

That's the one obstacle that I've had to overcome too. I constantly have to defend how much I finish. Even when I was a teen in high school (pulling a 3.85 gpa...proving I studied enough) my mom would question how much time I had on my hands because of how much crochet I would do.

I even had someone comment on my blog that I obviously have no life. LOL - hello? :hook

UGH i hate that i have people say things like .. oh i can't crochet(or knit) i don't have enough time.:think .. i allways say well what do you so sitting in front of the TV or standing in those long lines or when you're riding in the ca:irkr? they kinda look at me like i'm weird...people also imply that b/c i'm a mom that i shouldn't have time to do anything but that..:huh

i still produce things and my kids are fed and watered and my house is clean. (i also crochet at the park while the kiddos are playing) LOL if i can find time i can do it. i love NAP TIME or for my older daughter Quiet time! :hook

my DH is like yeah whatever about my crochet and knitting... LOL i know when i finish his socks i'm making him he's going to LOVE it:drool! LOL

most of my friends i've converted into knitting or crochetting or both. it multiplies! LOL it's addictive that's for sure.. i love seeing what i can make!:knit

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family has no problem with me crocheting and/or knitting. Whenever we go somewhere, I usually end up waiting for my dh while he goes into one of his hobby store, so I always take something with me to work on. I have made mittens, slippers and other things for my family, so they like that.

However...I do get teased endlessly about my yarn stash! Just last weekend, I checked out Hobby Lobby's clearance yarn. They had Wool-Ease sportweight (which I use along with acrylic for mittens and slippers), and Lion Brand Magic Stripes (I had never bought it before as it was usually expensive). I walked out with 7 skeins of each. :blush And have been teased mercilessly since!

I ordered a new (extra-large) bag for my larger projects, and when I showed my daughter, she asked, "Is that to hold ALL the yarn you bought, mom?" The dear child... (who is a senior, and will be lucky if she graduates if she keeps this up! :lol )

I used to work so hard making christmas presents for them all, but not any longer. They never appreciate the time and effort I put into it so why bother. It is their loss. Maybe I'll do McDonald gift certificates this year. At least I will know they will be used.

:lol

Out in public, people are amazed it seems that people still crochet. I always get nice comments. It really draws attention, it seems.

I get a lot of this, too, when I crochet in public. Older ladies especially seem happy to see a younger person crocheting.

And last fall when I was standing in line for two hours at the county senior center waiting for my flu shot (this was during the shortage, so a very long wait, and I had to get the vaccine because I'm in a risk group) I was wearing a hat I'd crocheted and the lady in front of me said it was lovely :yay and asked who had made it for me and was stunned when I told her I'd made it myself. She's a crocheter, too, and says she hardly ever sees younger people crocheting.

I get a lot of nice comments when I'm knitting or crocheting in public too. It can be a fun way to meet people.

I've done this stuff since I was about 9 so my family are all used to it, it's just the norm with me. They always ask me what I'm working on. My sister and my mom crochet borders on flannel baby blankets and I have an aunt who knits so I'm not the only one. My daughter loves everything I make for her and my friends seem pretty neutral. My ex-husband is the only one who didn't like it. HE said my yarn and projects cluttered up the couch. :lol Hopefully the next guy in my life will be more yarn-friendly.

My ex-husband is the only one who didn't like it. HE said my yarn and projects cluttered up the couch. :lol Hopefully the next guy in my life will be more yarn-friendly.

OK, almost spit my coffee out at this one. We have a small duplex and a regular size couch doesn't fit with the two recliners so we have a love seat. We do alot of snuggling on the love seat, me and my yarn, no room for the future DH!

That's the one obstacle that I've had to overcome too. I constantly have to defend how much I finish. Even when I was a teen in high school (pulling a 3.85 gpa...proving I studied enough) my mom would question how much time I had on my hands because of how much crochet I would do.

I even had someone comment on my blog that I obviously have no life. LOL - hello? :hook

I've said it before, and I'll say it again..."Those not of the yarn, will never understand the things of the yarn."

I had always wanted to learn to crochet and when I finally did I couldn't stop! My husband at first thought it was a passing phase and now he wonders what happen to our bedroom! (Its hard to see the furniture due to all the yarn). My mom is loving it because she gets alot of crocheted items for every holiday!

My family doesn't seem to care much one way or another but they have been impressed by some of the things I've made so far. I'm the family odd-ball anyway, so nothing I do ever phases them.

I think my mom is secretly proud of my handiwork though. She commented about how proud my grandmother would have been to see me crocheting and she went out of her way to show 2 of my aunts and a few of her friends the nice prayer shawl I made for her and then told me all about their positive responses. This is my mom's roundabout way of saying she likes it, too.

• 5 months later...

My husband and sons always seem impressed with things I make. I made a few of those bed dolls years ago and gave them away, donated them to our church. Ben has always wondered why I never made one for us to keep. Personally, I don't care for them. :P

My boys love my flag afghans and have bugged me to make one and actually keep it.

I get alot of "Crocheting is for old people (I'm 39) I made alot of Christmas presents for family and friends this yr. Crocheted my niece a lovely hat and scarf set, as well as a throw. Noone knew I had crocheted them. When my DH said I made them my brother said "You made those?, you know you could sell those and make money?". lol Most of my family just think "I have way too much time on my hands, I think its because they are not "crafty" My dear mother was crafty, and she loved to crochet. She passed 2 yrs. ago I sure miss discussing crocheting with her. I have found however that other people (not related to me) out in the workplace, etc. Love what I make (I made too many hat/scarf sets to count for them for christmas lol) they think everything is beautiful. I can't bring myself to sell anything I just give it away as gifts. I crochet because I love it. I love yarn and could spend hours pouring through all the skeins (but unfortunately life always intrudes in the form of "c'mon got to get home before the race, mom I need money etc etc etc. lol)coffeeandcrochet:coffee :hook

Every other Thursday night, my mother and I got to the local community college for $20 massages by the massage therapy students. Afterwards, we go to Chapters for coffee and browsing. Last night, my mom made a comment (after looking through half a dozen crochet mags and the latest crochet books {Lionbrands Vintage Yarns for Today!!!http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400080618

) that next time we go out, we're going to do something she wants to do, like go to the Black Horse pub for beer and music. It'd be hard to tell from the conversation which one of us was the 32 year old and who was the 52 year old!!:lol

Mostly, everyone loves the stuff I make and they all appreciate that I make so much for charities. Maybe one day I'll be able to make money at this!!!;)

You know, I don't get a lot of negative comments, but when I show someone something I've made, they seem to think I have too much time on my hands. I hate that!

Ugh... I totally know what you mean. I get comments like that all the time. People will say, I don't know how you have time to do that. Well guess what, my house is clean, my dishes are done, I homeschool my kids and my hubby is gone 5 days a week. For me crocheting fills my nights when my hubby is gone. I'm not super mom, but I think more people could learn better time management. Now if I could just learn to love exercising as much as crocheting. :lol

I am very blessed with an incredibly supportive family. My sister and my youngest daughter (31) are my biggest fans! My husband is very tolerant of my yarn addiction, and never complains about how much yarn I have, or how much time I spend crocheting. He even shows more interest now that I've been published. Before, he would give a noncommital grunt or the obligatory "uh-huh" in a mono-tone, but now he asks questions, admires the latest project, and take pictures with him to work to show his co-workers! Can you believe it?! I've got a great thing going here - more yarn than I could ever use, several publications, a network of supportive and admiring fans, freedom to create anything I want, and eager & willing models for my picture albums. What more could a girl ask for?:c9

Here's a picture of the really neat sweatshirt my husband gave me for Christmas. He specially ordered it at the mall, and even took one of my skeins of yarn to show the guy how to paint it. My nickname Crochet Queen was given to me by a former co-worker and now everybody calls me that! I love it!

CrochetQueensweatshirt.jpg

The crochet hook is quite long - maybe it's an aghan hook! :hook

Well, my significant other is supportive, and in fact enables me by buying plastic bins for me to keep my stash in <g>. Although, I've had the comments, too, "Oh, I'm WAY too busy for that sort of thing..." -- implying that I'm a lazy bum, by comparison. When you think about it, though, a lot of people sit mindlessly munching Doritos in from of the TV every evening--at least by crocheting, one has a wonderful article of clothing/afghan/scarf, etc. at the end of it...PAM

Well, my significant other is supportive, and in fact enables me by buying plastic bins for me to keep my stash in <g>. Although, I've had the comments, too, "Oh, I'm WAY too busy for that sort of thing..." -- implying that I'm a lazy bum, by comparison. When you think about it, though, a lot of people sit mindlessly munching Doritos in from of the TV every evening--at least by crocheting, one has a wonderful article of clothing/afghan/scarf, etc. at the end of it...PAM

You're exactly right!! I've had people say, "Oh I couldn't sit around crocheting all the time".... implying it's a waste of time. Or, "I wish I had more time to do that sort of thing..." uh, we all have the same 24 hours in a day....:devil

Everyone that I know is very supportive. My fiance even pushes me to buy yarn that I want when I swore I won't buy any until I work down my stash. My sister doesn't know where I find the time, but she is very complimentary about my work. All my friends are supportive. Most of what I do is for charity, and they seem to respect that. I'm very lucky.

I am seeing much more support from my friends and family this last year and a half than ever before. Before, it was nice, but it wasn't valued as much...but this time, heck for my birthday last year, my mother made simple little collages of crocheted fashions that she kept finding in her magazines...if that wasn't a thumbs up from her about my passion, I don't know what it is...even my sisters were stunned.

It might be because crocheting is in vogue at the moment, it might also be that I'm taking crocheting less for granted like I might have in the past and giving this art form serious respect...not just in how I crochet, but pushing myself to learn more, do more, and be the best I can be at it...

If I'm treating my skills and gifts with respect, then others will also...that's what I've discovered with my friends and family this past year and a half...

My husband is my rock...he is so supportive...he's more than willing to wear the stuff I make for him, he's enthusied when I show him a pattern of whatever...he is my biggest fan, God Bless Him...

And it all helps me continue doing what I'm doing...

You know, I don't get a lot of negative comments, but when I show someone something I've made, they seem to think I have too much time on my hands. I hate that!

I don't get as many negative comments like I would even 10 years ago...but the negative comments weren't just directed at crocheting...I'd get that whole, "I don't have the time to waste doing (fill in the blank...crochet, sew, keep house, cook from scratch or semi scratch, volunteer, rubber stamp, visit, talk, read, exercise) because I have a job, have kids, have a life (whatever that's suppose to mean)" What they are really saying is that it's not their priority...and they don't want to do it and what's really hurtful is that this kind of comment barely masks a bit of jealously or contempt on their part...God forbid someone should be fulfilled and happy persuing what give someone true joy...

hubby don't mind except when I get frustrated. Thats only when I am trying to put hexes together. lol. .. my daughter asks what am I gonna do when I retire? and at work everyone says " what ya makin now?"

I can't say that anyone has ever made a comment to me like "you have to much time on your hands". I guess it is because I come from a crafty family, and everyone has thier "thing". Mine is crochet. My mom quilts/scrapbooks (like a crazy) person. My dad does wood working. And my extended family includes all kinds of other talents from welding to cake decorating.

My husband makes the occasional "old lady" joke (I'm 25 by the way), but he always seems interested in what I'm working on.

He has his hobby obsessions to, but they are a little less crafty.

Coworkers and friends usually seem envious, like they wish they could do it. I always tell them I would be happy to teach them. You can always find time to do something you love.

i guess everyone is just used to it. the only thing i really hear is "whatchya makin now?"

I get that from my hubby alot...

My DH honestly thought I would stop after Christmas. I kept telling him that I'm obsessed but he didn't believe me. Since I'm so "crafty" he keeps expecting me to switch to something else.

He gets really ticked off that I crochet at night while watching TV. Hmmm, he plays Chess on his Laptop while I'm crocheting so what's the difference?

The rest of my family thinks I 'knit' and that there is no difference between the two...

Archived