Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

Linda M.. I can't wait to see pictures of your IC.. Everyones pictures look so wonderful. maybe someday I will figure out how to share mine..

I sat my 2 Dd's on the living room floor with me tonight, gave each of them a needle and a poncho and showed them how to weave in the ends!!! If they want to learn how to crochet, they have to learn how to do it ALLL!!!! heheheee.

Michele

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! You guys have been chatty tonight! DBF and I went to dinner, and while wandering around CompUSA (he's thinking of a new computer) he got a call from his buddy. Apparently one of the buddy's dogs got herself stuck under the shed. We thought this was funny and a little ridiculous that help was needed. Until we got there. That dog had herself wedged so far under there that none of us could reach her. We spent an hour digging dirt to try and get to the dog. Finally their son came home and since he's a beanpole, he was able to get under the shed and resuce the poor pup.

Can I get everyone's input????

My daughter is doing MAJOR fundraising. There are about 15 kids trying to go to Florida with a teacher this summer for a "science in motion" trip. It is pretty pricey.

We are having a Spag. dinner in a few weeks. Each of the families need to bring in a "theme basket" to auction off. I am having issues deciding what to do.. I can't put a LOT of money into it. I was thinking IF I could do something with items at Michaels or HObby Lobby, I could use all the 40% off coupons to purchase the items. My only ideas have been cake decorating (a beginers kit, and extra supplies that I needed when I took the class) or an Afghan project (A book of quick afghans maybe with a Q hook. so it would be the book, the hook and several skeins of yarn... I know we all crochet but is that something to old fashion? I know it isn't as popular as other hobbies anymore).

Any ideas or input would be wonderful. I am going to be all "fundraisered out" soon. We have also signed up to work "bingos" for the rest of the school year.

Thanks ladies.

Michele

Michele - It might be better to do a basket that's more of a general interest type thing to raise more money. A spa basket (handmade facecloths, maybe a pair of slippers, dollar store bath goodies), a cooking basket (maybe since it's a spaghetti dinner do an Italian themed one with a box of spaghetti, dish cloths, potholders, sauce), movie night (microwave popcorn, a classic movie, neck pillows). Just a few ideas.

Hi everyone!

I've decided to do an afghan along the same lines of the quilts. My 13 year old son wants me to do his afghan with a giant "M" on it. It's the logo for Mizzou (University of Missouri Columbia, our home state). I had him design it on graph paper and it comes out to be 50"X60". 480 squares, black, gold, and white.

I decided to jump in here to see if I can get some moral support...I did the math and if I make 10 grannies a day it'll take me about 50 days just to make the squares...I've already told DH that he's going to be weaving in ends and he said if I show him how that he'll do it.

I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into here! I have 5 kids and am making them all an afghan...this one will be the most time-consuming I think.

Thanks for letting me share!

Shelley in Georgia

Welcome Shelley! :hug Now that's a good idea. Have the son design his own ghan :tup Best piece of advice I have is to don't wait until the very end to join the squares together. Do a little section of squares then sew those together. Then go on to the next. Groups of 25 squares seem to be the most popular. Personally, I do 9 because I lose the squares :lol

Any questions you have just jump in and we'll be glad to help where we can :hug

Welcome Shelly! Instead of weaving in the ends, you can also use them to sew your squares together. Or, as you join the squares, join over the tails. Less weaving then :D

sheesh! i missed a lot going to be early apparently! I now have almost two strips done for the GEO 101, but I ended up working on the stocking a lil bit too. I think I'll get more done waiting for the hubby to come get me to go vote. Unfortunately the lil one kept me up a lot last night wiggling around...man hes a strong one! Im just imagining the words coming out of me at my hubby when Im in labor, cause Im told Alex acts like him already by my MIL. WE get to do Lamaze this weekend! haha! Should be... interesting....

but then its my bday too, yippee!

Can I get everyone's input????

My daughter is doing MAJOR fundraising. There are about 15 kids trying to go to Florida with a teacher this summer for a "science in motion" trip. It is pretty pricey.

We are having a Spag. dinner in a few weeks. Each of the families need to bring in a "theme basket" to auction off. I am having issues deciding what to do.. I can't put a LOT of money into it. I was thinking IF I could do something with items at Michaels or HObby Lobby, I could use all the 40% off coupons to purchase the items. My only ideas have been cake decorating (a beginers kit, and extra supplies that I needed when I took the class) or an Afghan project (A book of quick afghans maybe with a Q hook. so it would be the book, the hook and several skeins of yarn... I know we all crochet but is that something to old fashion? I know it isn't as popular as other hobbies anymore).

Any ideas or input would be wonderful. I am going to be all "fundraisered out" soon. We have also signed up to work "bingos" for the rest of the school year.

Thanks ladies.

Michele

You could also do a baby basket, a snack basket with all kinds of little snack bags of pretzels, chips, that kind of thing... our school has a cleaning basket.... all kinds of goodies. I'll see if I can find the list.

Shelley - that's right....leave long tails on each square and use that to join them together. It's easier all around!

I tried that but I get to square happy or something :lol but I guess if your a bit more patient than me :D

I thought that making all the saltines first would be a good idea, but its NOT!! :lol Join em as ya go if its a big blanket, someone suggested that to me and its been working out great

Mary add 80 solids and 4 bi-colors for me!!

:clap I now have all the squares done and sewn on........just need to do the boarder and the CASA is done!

I have also started my daughters x-mas ghan....I have decided on the sunrise, sunset afghan. It's looking pretty good so far....wish I had a camera so I could share pics....might have to borrow bf's camera and load all the stuff I've gotton done lately....

Good morning ~ Littlest DD is still snoozing, so I am going to get all caught up here before taking out my saltines. It is SO encouraging to hear about ICs being finished.

Erin ~ Sounds as though you are crocheting and crafting like crazy. It was good to hear your appt with the doctor went well, and that Lil' Alexander is doing well. When is your due date? I liked the colors you chose for your folks' ghan :yes

:woo:dance:2rock This is one of the longest lasting CALs ever on the 'Ville! I'm so very proud :manyheart

:cheerYaay:cheer Isn't it great?!?

Thanks for having me y'all! JoAnns is having the Caron One Pounders on sale for $5 each starting Sunday so I am going to buy the yarn for it then. Also for my sons spiderman afghan for his bday in Feb. I been eyeing a few other blankets on happy yellow house I might do another. :D

I did not stop into JoAnn's over the weekend, but I wish I had. I am using the One Pounders in my IC, and it would have been nice to pick up another Cape Cod, so that I know I have enough for the border. Maybe it will still be on sale next weekend when I drive back to my parents' house... Thanks for the heads-up!

I hear ya :yes BD and I used to go through that all the time. I finally just gave up and now he has two choices for supper....eat what I made or starve :rofl

:rofl That's a great philosophy, Cara. I am really lucky, but DH never fusses at me. Cooking is one of his least favorite activities, and it still seems to amaze him that I can put three meals together each day without complaining. I love to cook, so it really is not any trouble, but it is so funny that he is baffled by something that comes easy to me.

My daughter is coming for an aquarium convention in Atlanta and is going to spent a week with me before hand. Whee!!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing her again. It's been about 3 years since we've been able to get together. Too long, but with her in Iowa and me in Georgia it's a long haul. She gets in next Saturday. I'm counting down the days.

I will just bet you are looking forward to seeing your daughter. Have a lovely visit!!

And since we really do crochet here ;), I have joined blocks 16, 17 and 18 (out of 25) for my double IC. Time to make more squares. :hook

Oooh, progress. You are so close to finishing this IC. You can do it :cheer

Hey all thought I'd pop in here real quick and show you the pictures of the quilts.

Here is the garden quilt.

th_HPIM2757.jpg

The BIC.

th_HPIM2756.jpg

I don't remember if I posted the AGC finished. But here it is anyway. LOL

th_AGCfinished.jpg

They are all clicky.

Wow! Those are all simply beautiful. Nice, nice NICE :drool

Wendy ~ Your tablecloth is going to be lovely! Sounds as though your hook has been busy :clap. We would like to see pics, if time ever allows.

You guys are so great at commenting on everyone's posts. I love to read them but I can never keep track of who said what. Maybe as I get to know people better, it will be easier. Michele

I was in the same boat, when I started here. One week, I printed out Mary's scorecard, since it lists everyone's user name and that really helped me start to connect names and personalities. It was not long before everyone started to feel like a friend :manyheart Hope you can say the same, soon.

Got my bone density results today and seems I have osteoporosis to add to my list :sigh 42 years old and falling apart :P Nice to know what's making my back hurt so bad though :lol

Hope your doctor has some tricks to help you feel better, soon :hug

Just wanted to let everyone know that I finished my IC about an hour ago! Yippee! :clap Will take a pic and post it as soon as I can.

:yay

[quote name=cropper127;1511096

I sat my 2 Dd's on the living room floor with me tonight' date=' gave each of them a needle and a poncho and showed them how to weave in the ends!!! If they want to learn how to crochet, they have to learn how to do it ALLL!!!! heheheee.

Michele[/quote]

I LOVE it :rofl:rofl I do not think mine are that interested, yet. They are always curious about what I am doing, what yarns I have for them to "pet," and when I will be able to work on something new for the, but they have not offered to help me, yet. I should put them to work :devil

:welcome Shelley ~ We like to see photos anytime. And, we are happy to lend encouragement at any time. Pop in and let us know how your son's afghan is coming along. Great idea to have him design it.

I hope everyone has a good day! We have sunshine and unusually warm weather. It was 66-degrees here, yesterday afternoon:yay I let the girls skip their naps, so that they could go out to play in the fresh air. They ran off all of the wiggles that accumulated during the day in school, and they fell right to sleep last night. Yes, I was able to spend some time joining blocks for my IC. Looks as though I need 20 more blocks and it will be time to work on the border -- the end is in sight :yes

:waving

Happy Tuesday, eveyone. :) I finally went to sleep at 5 and slept soundly til about 10. I was so worried about Maggie and that I wouldn't hear her if she needed me even though she sleeps in our bedroom. DH is here in his office, so he's kept an eye on her this a.m. Gee, I'm on Cara's schedule today. :lol

Karen ~ 24 solid squares added.

Donna ~ 16 solid squares added.

Laura Lee ~ Congratulations on being so close to the finish line! 80 solids and 4 bi-colors added.

I've just skimmed the posts, so will be back in a while after I catch up!

Happy Tuesday, eveyone. :) I finally went to sleep at 5 and slept soundly til about 10. I was so worried about Maggie and that I wouldn't hear her if she needed me even though she sleeps in our bedroom. DH is here in his office, so he's kept an eye on her this a.m. Gee, I'm on Cara's schedule today. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Somehow I'm up early today. I've been up for almost 90 minutes now :eek I'm still tired. Could've slept more but I've been up till after 4 a.m. the last 2 nights. I like to be asleep by 3. You'd think with the time change I'd be asleep by 2 but no, I have to be difficult :lol

Michele, that is a great idea to have your DDs help with the weaving. I only have one more idea to add for your baskets. How about a teapot, infuser and assorted teas? A lot of stores have inexpensive, but nice teapots and mugs.

Val ~ Yay for you and DBF trying to rescue the dog...so glad they were able to get to him. How is your RR coming along?

Welcome, Shelley. :welcome

Hi Tracy!

Laura Lee ~ The sunrise, sunset pattern is gorgeous. What colors are you using?

Dusti ~ 20 more blocks for you and my whole ghan is 25 blocks. :eek You're doing great!

Erin, happy early birthday!

I had a dentist appointment today and I have 4 cavities. Which means 4 fillings at a cost of about $200 to me. Ick! My teeth are still a little sore from the cleaning and I got a flouride veneer put on, so they feel seriously funky right now. After my appointment I ran by my polling place and was very happy to see no line! I was in and out in about 5 minutes!

I bought the yarn for my pink ribbon blanket. The sale is on until this Saturday. But the 9th-11th if you got a coupon you can get 10% of your entire purchase. I need to make 2 blankets for a giving tree (those ones at wally world at xmas time). I dunno if I should try one of these or wait till after the new year & start my pink ribbon ghan. Oh the descions I must make.

Mary, I haven't touched the RR since Saturday night. Sunday was Phantom of the Opera for our birthday's, then DBF had bowling. Since I'd requested the night off I tagged along to hang out. The RR is too big to haul with, I probably could have. But I brought cotton and did a hot pad instead. I'll be back to the RR tonight, but I'm thinking I need more Dusty Rose. I have 10 rounds of pink, 5 rounds of pink and dusty Rose and I'm on the 5th round of just Dusty Rose. So I'm gonna need more of that and the Antique Rose :lol It's a good thing I have coupons!

Archived