Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

Linda,

I live in Greenville, SC, Not to far from you by way of the crow..I love the fact that you are doing a KY derby party. I am origianlly from Louisville, KY!! I never got to actually go to the derby though.:( My sis has been and she says the hats are the thing!! Oh yeah and don't forget the mint julips..

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have pictures! I finished both bags last night! DBF got the brillant idea that I should line the H bag, and my sewing machine decided to act up on me. Seems it was a tension issue. But the lining for the H bag was finished and sewn in last night. And I finished the FBB last night also! Part of me is very thankful Mom got sick and our Easter dinner had to be postponed. Obviously these wouldn't have been finished in time for the two friends that are moving out of state next month. Pictures are clickable.

th_BlueHBag.jpg

th_BlueHBaglining.jpg

th_BlueFBBlining.jpg

th_BlueFBBcloseup.jpg

th_BlueFBBFullImage.jpg

Wow,

Your handbags look awesome. I've got sooo many projects right now. But I am thinking one day of getting to a handbag. Stupid question--how did you get the lining sewn in??

Wow,

Your handbags look awesome. I've got sooo many projects right now. But I am thinking one day of getting to a handbag. Stupid question--how did you get the lining sewn in??

For the FBB I followed these instructions. For the H bag, I kinda winged it :lol. Since the H bags seem to want to somewhat fold at the bottom (which works well for figuring the lining) I figured out where the fold was at first. Then I measured from the "valley" at the top (I didn't want to mess with trying to figure out how to do the upper part of the squares at the top) to where the fold starts. Measure the width. Then I measured the bottom. The bottom piece I actually cut to very roughly match the shape of the bottom, the shape is roughly < >.

Sew all pieces together and then sew it into the bag. I didn't tac the bottom of the lining to the bottom of the bag. This lining ended up a little on the slightly larger than the bag size, especially at the bottom. So I didn't want to mess with making sure that was even.

Priszm, your bags are lovely. I'm sure they will be much appreciated.

KLS, I saw some pictures of Kentucky Derby hats that our hostess had posted. Kim's and mine won't be nearly as outrageous as most of the ones I saw on the site, but I had planned ours before I saw them. John's is a bit wilder. BTW, Welcome to the group! :welcome My son and his wife live in a suburb of Greenville, SC.

It's sunshiny and cool this morning. Kim was wide awake until around 2:30 this morning. I don't know if she was excited about being out yesterday or what. She was so funny. I was trying to work the word puzzles and crossword puzzle in the paper and she kept taking it away from me, looking at what I'd done, laughing and waving it around, and playing keep-away with it. She eventually let me have it back only to swipe it again a few minutes later. She was having lots of fun! I'm TIRED this morning.

Did anyone else see that Daffodil days are coming up at Joanns!?! Yippeee..

On a positive note I discovered yesterday that the Joanns by us is a superstore!!! double yippeeees! Specially considering the Hobby Lobby that is supposed to go up soon still has no opening date set yet

Thanks for the heads up on JoAnn's. :) You're going to love having a Hobby Lobby close by!

Hi all

I have deen busy on LB Mary 47 solids 25 bi colours please :).

3 rows of saltines left to do :crocheting

Hi Denise! You are getting so close! I've added your squares. :yes

The party is May 2nd. It starts at 4:00 and we watch the running of the Kentucky Derby at 6:00 on their big screen TV. There will be lots of snacks and supper will feature the wild turkey Mark shot a couple weeks ago. Last year it was the wild turkey that John shot. John gets home on Thursday and on Friday we leave for more turkey hunting. He's hoping to get one before the party, too. He told me before he left that I was in charge of the creation of our hats, so it's his fault if he doesn't like what I come up with. :lol :lol :lol

Did you say John was in Texas? In the last week, we've had two confused wild Turkeys land in our back yard. :D

I have pictures! I finished both bags last night! DBF got the brillant idea that I should line the H bag, and my sewing machine decided to act up on me. Seems it was a tension issue. But the lining for the H bag was finished and sewn in last night. And I finished the FBB last night also! Part of me is very thankful Mom got sick and our Easter dinner had to be postponed. Obviously these wouldn't have been finished in time for the two friends that are moving out of state next month. Pictures are clickable.

th_BlueHBag.jpg

th_BlueHBaglining.jpg

th_BlueFBBlining.jpg

th_BlueFBBcloseup.jpg

th_BlueFBBFullImage.jpg

Val, they are gorgeous! Your work is just wonderful. :cheer

Hi everyone. I've been up since 5 and worked in the yard for an hour. Now it's time for me to stay in and actually accomplish something. :yes The house is so quiet and empty without Maggie, so I've been working outside more and now it's catch up time.

I'll also get back to keeping up with you guys better and definitely plan on crocheting this evening. :hook Have a wonderful day. :manyheart

th_BlueHBag.jpg

th_BlueHBaglining.jpg

th_BlueFBBlining.jpg

th_BlueFBBcloseup.jpg

th_BlueFBBFullImage.jpg

I love your bags. I want to use the H bag I lined for myself but simply soft is not the yarn to use I tell you. I also want to figure out how to line the handles to give extra support.

Hi everyone. I've been up since 5 and worked in the yard for an hour. Now it's time for me to stay in and actually accomplish something. :yes The house is so quiet and empty without Maggie, so I've been working outside more and now it's catch up time.

I'll also get back to keeping up with you guys better and definitely plan on crocheting this evening. :hook Have a wonderful day. :manyheart

I have no idea what I would do with the quietness once its time for my 3 girls to move on. It was too quiet with 3 boys but now we got 2 cats & a dog its just right. :D

I love your bags. I want to use the H bag I lined for myself but simply soft is not the yarn to use I tell you. I also want to figure out how to line the handles to give extra support.

What issue do you have with CSS for the bags? Just curious since I've never used it for a bag before. I did use the Patons Brilliant with the SS, so I'm hoping that strenghtens it somewhat.

I'm with you, I wouldn't mind lining the handles too. For the H bag that could probably be done before attaching them. Maybe leave the ends unattached to the handles so you have room to attach the handles to the bag. Then finish sewing down the lining. One of these days I'll do that. I'll also do a full lining.

Jessica ~ With 3 boys and 3 pets, you can't possibly have any quiet time. ;):lol

Erin ~ Is little Alex doing better with the teething? Our JoAnn's has a really nice yarn selection. :yes

Finally going to spend some time with my hook. :) I have about 3 more rows of squares to make for the Penguin, but quite a few squares to join. :blush I'm reporting 40 solids and 8 bi-colors.

Hi Everyone! I've been busily working on my Gingham. I lost track of my new ones made from what I already had done but my new grand total is 470 saltines. Only 106 to go! I'm off to spend some time outside with hubby and the kids!

Hi Everyone! I've been busily working on my Gingham. I lost track of my new ones made from what I already had done but my new grand total is 470 saltines. Only 106 to go! I'm off to spend some time outside with hubby and the kids!

Hi Kristy! I'll update your total to 470. Great progress! :clap

th_BlueHBag.jpg

th_BlueHBaglining.jpg

th_BlueFBBlining.jpg

th_BlueFBBcloseup.jpg

th_BlueFBBFullImage.jpg

Oh wow, Val!! Those are amazing! Did you use a different square for the H bag? Excellent choice! :clap

For the FBB I followed these instructions. For the H bag, I kinda winged it :lol. Since the H bags seem to want to somewhat fold at the bottom (which works well for figuring the lining) I figured out where the fold was at first. Then I measured from the "valley" at the top (I didn't want to mess with trying to figure out how to do the upper part of the squares at the top) to where the fold starts. Measure the width. Then I measured the bottom. The bottom piece I actually cut to very roughly match the shape of the bottom, the shape is roughly < >.

Sew all pieces together and then sew it into the bag. I didn't tac the bottom of the lining to the bottom of the bag. This lining ended up a little on the slightly larger than the bag size, especially at the bottom. So I didn't want to mess with making sure that was even.

Thanks so much for the directions :hug

Priszm, your bags are lovely. I'm sure they will be much appreciated.

KLS, I saw some pictures of Kentucky Derby hats that our hostess had posted. Kim's and mine won't be nearly as outrageous as most of the ones I saw on the site, but I had planned ours before I saw them. John's is a bit wilder. BTW, Welcome to the group! :welcome My son and his wife live in a suburb of Greenville, SC.

It's sunshiny and cool this morning. Kim was wide awake until around 2:30 this morning. I don't know if she was excited about being out yesterday or what. She was so funny. I was trying to work the word puzzles and crossword puzzle in the paper and she kept taking it away from me, looking at what I'd done, laughing and waving it around, and playing keep-away with it. She eventually let me have it back only to swipe it again a few minutes later. She was having lots of fun! I'm TIRED this morning.

:rofl :rofl Kim cracks me up! But I bet she's keeps you running some days :lol

yes yes Mary, i miss my hobby lobby, but the Joanns is a superstore so its kinda the same, haven't checked out our Micheals just yet though

I would give up body parts (just not the arms or hands :wink) to have a JoAnns superstore :dreaming Our store has such a tiny yarn section :(

Jessica ~ With 3 boys and 3 pets, you can't possibly have any quiet time. ;):lol

Erin ~ Is little Alex doing better with the teething? Our JoAnn's has a really nice yarn selection. :yes

Finally going to spend some time with my hook. :) I have about 3 more rows of squares to make for the Penguin, but quite a few squares to join. :blush I'm reporting 40 solids and 8 bi-colors.

Great progress Mary!! :manyheart

I. Am. Exhausted. :faint Hit both of the yarn shops here in San Antonio. Wasn't real impressed with the second one. The first one however (Yarn Barn) was amazing! It's a great place for crocheters! No knitting snobs there. The second place definitely did. Won't give the name of that shop here. I got two HUGE bags of yarn at the first place. Over 200 bucks :blush BD is gonna have a cow :lol That's not to mention the $81 my MIL spent on me for some of it for my belated b-day giftie :manyheart I am in heaven :c9

Priszm - what square pattern did you use for the H bag?

Oh wow, Val!! Those are amazing! Did you use a different square for the H bag? Excellent choice! :clap

Thanks so much for the directions :hug

I used the Friend Family Square designed by Chrisdfriend found here. Well, that's her updated design, I used the original since I have sat and figured the difference between the two yet :lol And Cara, I'm glad the instructions were clear for sewing a lining for the H bag.

I used the Friend Family Square designed by Chrisdfriend found here. Well, that's her updated design, I used the original since I have sat and figured the difference between the two yet :lol And Cara, I'm glad the instructions were clear for sewing a lining for the H bag.

Oh! Oh! Oh!! I think I just might have found the pattern I'm going to use and in the colorway she has on there for my soon to arrive new niece (YES!! It's going to be a GIRL!! :jumpyay).

Gorgeous work, Val!!:clap You make lining them sound so easy...sure wish I had your skills. When will you get to deliver your purses? The ladies are going to be so happy.

Gardening, huh, Mary? I forget that you already have warmer temps and green grass down south :P I saw my first robin of the season on Monday -- spring cannot be too far away :)

Cara -- glad you made it to San Antonio safely. It sounds as though you are having a grand time shopping for yarn :wooI can hardly wait to see what all you create from your purchases :D

DH and littlest DD have a bit of a germ-bug today, and they both stayed home in bed. Knock on wood, but I am still feeling well. The sun is shining, and I opened the windows above my kitchen sink a bit, just to let the fresh air in. I have been finishing up a baby layette for one of my long-time friend's first baby. I also started a 12-point round ripple in Windsor Blue and Taupe that is turning out even better than I expected it to :lol

Hope you are all having a good Wednesday :manyheart

Dusti you are too funny! I can handle lining bags, it doesn't matter that my hems are crooked and I can't cut a straight line. So that's pretty much the limit to my sewing ability :lol

Dusti you are too funny! I can handle lining bags, it doesn't matter that my hems are crooked and I can't cut a straight line. So that's pretty much the limit to my sewing ability :lol

:rofl :rofl Kim cracks me up! But I bet she's keeps you running some days :lol

I. Am. Exhausted. :faint Hit both of the yarn shops here in San Antonio. Wasn't real impressed with the second one. The first one however (Yarn Barn) was amazing! It's a great place for crocheters! No knitting snobs there. The second place definitely did. Won't give the name of that shop here. I got two HUGE bags of yarn at the first place. Over 200 bucks :blush BD is gonna have a cow :lol That's not to mention the $81 my MIL spent on me for some of it for my belated b-day giftie :manyheart I am in heaven :c9

Kim's a pistol, that's for sure.

Sounds like you made a killing on yarn today. What FUN!!!

John's in Houston this week, was in Dallas last week. and in Killeen on the weekend. Yesterday his rental car was broken into and his laptop and other things stolen, so he and I have been running around getting things replaced, deactivated, notifications sent, etc. I picked up a new set of care keys for him today and will have all the house locks changed tomorrow morning as those keys were in the computer bag that got taken. What a hassle! :eek But better safe than sorry. It's just expensive.

I finished my second prayer shawl today. That was a Lenten project. Will have to get pictures taken tomorrow and then wash everything so it all can be turned in.

Kim's a pistol, that's for sure.

Sounds like you made a killing on yarn today. What FUN!!!

John's in Houston this week, was in Dallas last week. and in Killeen on the weekend. Yesterday his rental car was broken into and his laptop and other things stolen, so he and I have been running around getting things replaced, deactivated, notifications sent, etc. I picked up a new set of care keys for him today and will have all the house locks changed tomorrow morning as those keys were in the computer bag that got taken. What a hassle! :eek But better safe than sorry. It's just expensive.

I finished my second prayer shawl today. That was a Lenten project. Will have to get pictures taken tomorrow and then wash everything so it all can be turned in.

Oh no! poor John!

Question about your prayer shawl, is it a rectangular or triangular shawl? If it's rectangle, what length do you usually use? I started one using the Solomon's Knot and it's over 100" long!

Archived