Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

Gee! It's the Cara and Mary chat room today. :lol It's been so quiet here lately. :yes Errands are done and I'm going to crochet for a while. :hook

Cara ~ the wind just changed so it's headed your way. :)

I think it's already getting cooler. It's definitely getting chilly in the house :yes

:hi Mary and Cara.

It has been quiet in here lately. :yes Does that mean everyone is busy covering the world in saltines? :hook Except for Denise, she has her sewing machine out to make her curtains for her bedroom. :D

I need to do some sewing but first I'd have to unbury my sewing machine :lol

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tracy! What are you working on now? I know you always have lots going at once. :hook

My sewing machine gets used very little anymore...last time I had to get the book out to remind me how to use it. :lol Besides, I'd much rather be crocheting. :yes

Hi to Denise!

I took my machine out early in the week to embroider on some bibs for my cousin's baby shower (sister is taking the gifts from us, we can't be there, different continent :( ) and that is the most I have done with either of my machines in about 8 months. :lol I did get supplies to make the curtains for Kyla's and my rooms at the same time mom got her fabric, but I haven't even measured anything yet. :lol

Mary, I have too many things as usual. :yes I have the pink/choc saltine ghan, a diagonal box ghan, a sweater, I had to :frog a dress I started because the acrylic yarn didn't like right for a summer dress, the casa and my sisters straight ripple are in hibernation. :whew, hope that is all. Oh yes, my friends :knit aran cardigan I haven't worked on in months. :eek Oops, forgot about the LTKA Krystal sucked me into, the Scripture ghan someone sucked me into and then of course, the 99 Granny squares project which someone in here enabled me into. :wink

I think I had better slink away in shame and work on something to show some progress on something. :yes:lol

Hi! I have been busily working on my little saltines for my parents' gingham-ghan. I was wondering how you all finish off each square?

I finish my last stitch, cut off a tail, then hook that and draw through the loop on the hook and pull it tight to make a knot. I was wondering if there is a neater way to do it? Sometimes the knot is visible when I seem my squares together. I know once it's done they most likely won't be noticed, but if there is a tidier way to do it, then I'd like to try. I have tried putting the yarn on a needle and trying to finish off the way I can when knitting (like a cuff) so that it blends right in, but that's not working for me. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi! I have been busily working on my little saltines for my parents' gingham-ghan. I was wondering how you all finish off each square?

I finish my last stitch, cut off a tail, then hook that and draw through the loop on the hook and pull it tight to make a knot. I was wondering if there is a neater way to do it? Sometimes the knot is visible when I seem my squares together. I know once it's done they most likely won't be noticed, but if there is a tidier way to do it, then I'd like to try. I have tried putting the yarn on a needle and trying to finish off the way I can when knitting (like a cuff) so that it blends right in, but that's not working for me. Any ideas?

Thanks!

No knots at all....

Most of us leave a long tail at the end so we can join the squares without having to attach more yarn (we work the 2nd row by starting with only 1/2 the corner done, finishing the the other half at the end of the row so it's in the middle)

Thanks!

I finish my squares off too. A lot of folks leave a tail like Judy was talking about. I find that cumbersome, for me anyway. I use the Invisible Finish and there's no knot :D

Tracy---thanks! Your little one is adorable too. In that pic, my daughter was only 9 months old...she just turned 3!! Yikes how time flies!

Cara--I leave a long tail on 1 of my squares then join 4 squares around a central square. I am going tonight to buy the last color I need, then I'll work on joining more together. I will look into that Invisible Finish you mentioned. Thanks so much!!

Howdy everyone :hi:flower hope your going well with all your projects.

I finish my squares off too. A lot of folks leave a tail like Judy was talking about. I find that cumbersome, for me anyway. I use the Invisible Finish and there's no knot :D

Wow thats a great idea isnt it. Might try that.

Hi all

Wendy, Amy and Cara your work is beautiful

Mary add 24 solids and 8 bi colours for me please

Denise :hi its great to see you

Karen, I really love that! I asked about the light color in the SKY Cal, but now that I look at it again, I was wondering what joining method you use. Your squares are so perfect! I use the long tail method Wendy does....but lately I'm thinking about trying the invisible join that Cara uses.

Karen, I really love that! I asked about the light color in the SKY Cal, but now that I look at it again, I was wondering what joining method you use. Your squares are so perfect! I use the long tail method Wendy does....but lately I'm thinking about trying the invisible join that Cara uses.

I also use the long tail method. This one was worked in rows beginning at the bottom. For most squares I start whipstitching on the vertical join (back loops only) then go back one stitch to get me into the corner and then do a couple extra stitches in the middle corner then go along the horizontal join. Clear as mud// :lol

I also use the long tail method. This one was worked in rows beginning at the bottom. For most squares I start whipstitching on the vertical join (back loops only) then go back one stitch to get me into the corner and then do a couple extra stitches in the middle corner then go along the horizontal join. Clear as mud// :lol

I got it...it's what I do in my corners to hide any gaps...

Good Morning, Ladies. :)

Mary, I have too many things as usual. :yes I have the pink/choc saltine ghan, a diagonal box ghan, a sweater, I had to :frog a dress I started because the acrylic yarn didn't like right for a summer dress, the casa and my sisters straight ripple are in hibernation. :whew, hope that is all. Oh yes, my friends :knit aran cardigan I haven't worked on in months. :eek Oops, forgot about the LTKA Krystal sucked me into, the Scripture ghan someone sucked me into and then of course, the 99 Granny squares project which someone in here enabled me into. :wink

I think I had better slink away in shame and work on something to show some progress on something. :yes:lol

:lol You and Wendy win the gold medal for WIPs!

Hi all

Wendy, Amy and Cara your work is beautiful

Mary add 24 solids and 8 bi colours for me please

Hi Denise! I've added your squares...how is the Ladybug/Ladybird coming along? :ladybug

Here is my newest baby nine block:

th_HPIM2728.jpg

This one is for one of my hubby's professors and wife who are expecting another baby in July.

It's beautiful, Karen! :c9

Karen, 16 more added! Another nine patch?:think What colors are you using? :hook

Hi Jessica. :)

Miss Angel has a face and is all finished except for the border. :D I won't be able to start that today, but hope to start tomorrow. :yes

Karen, 16 more added! Another nine patch?:think What colors are you using? :hook

Not this one :lol I am using left overs of my Simply soft and am mulling over an idea. Once I have the most of the squares done I'll start mapping them out and see what I come up with :lol

Here is my newest baby nine block:

th_HPIM2728.jpg

This one is for one of my hubby's professors and wife who are expecting another baby in July.

That is stunning! :clap I've think I've talked myself into doing one for my SIL & BIL who are due in July...or maybe it's June :think I wanna make it in pinks hoping against hope that this one is a girl :D

Hi Jessica. :)

Miss Angel has a face and is all finished except for the border. :D I won't be able to start that today, but hope to start tomorrow. :yes

That's great Mary!! :clap:cheer

Wow. Got up very late today. I felt awful all day yesterday. But after a really good amount of sleep I'm feeling great today :D

Gotta clean the house up a bit because my nephew and his girlfriend are coming into town tomorrow to pick up all their goodies :D

Archived