Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cara - my kids are all learning to cook, especially the boys. I tell them that even if they get married (DD11 says he won't, typical boy) they still need to know how to cook. I told them they'd have to cook in college and before getting married, and there's no guarantee that their spouse will know how to cook.

My mother taught my brothers how to cook simple meals , do laundry, mend a rip, sew on a button...and clean although they didn't like that.... of course Dad taught the girls how to change a tire, check and add the fluids in a car ( gas, oil, radiator liquid, washer fluid), mow a lawn and do other outside work....

Same here. Before I was allowed to learn to drive I had to learn how to look after a car. No stranded kids were allowed in my family.

My kids have all learn the basics of cooking, cleaning and ironing. They don't like it but they have to do it. :lol

Cara - my kids are all learning to cook, especially the boys. I tell them that even if they get married (DD11 says he won't, typical boy) they still need to know how to cook. I told them they'd have to cook in college and before getting married, and there's no guarantee that their spouse will know how to cook.

LIke Shelly's mom, I taught DS how to cook, beginning in grade school. By HS he was making shrimp scampi for his girlfriends. He'll still do the cooking for them if they clean up. He also knew how to sew on a button, do his laundry, etc...he only cleaned if I stood over him with a mallet:lol

Thanks to the rest of you that like my square colors !

I hate to admit this, but I have never made pancakes from scratch either ,and I've been married for almost 32 years . I always use some type of mix . Those homemade ones sure sound good, though .

Tracy -wow, 95 squares ! You are a speedy crocheter .:yes

Mary- I have 35 more saltines made .

Tracy- I hate to sound like a half-wit, but what is Shrove Tuesday ?

For those making the angel-ghan, how about a border with some type of ruffle-type edging, maybe a shell border ? It might not look right, but it seems that an angel would have a girly-looking edge .

As for cooking, I never learned how to cook before I was married. My mom did all the cooking, housework, etc. I had a pretty easy life . My only job was getting good grades in school, she handled all the work at home. But sometimes I think it would have helped me a lot to learn those things. I had a rough first year of marriage because I kept waking up and expecting breakfast to be made, my lunch packed and clean clothes in the closet . What a surprise when none of that was done, and I had to do it .

I remember calling my mom every week,asking how to make really simple things, and how to do things that I should have known .

I'm thankful that I had such a fun childhood, but wish I would have had to learn those things. It would have made life a little easier to adjust when I had to do them myself .

The first thing I made was oatmeal, which you could have drank with a straw . I did lots of experiments with cooking ,and wore out a Betty Crocker cookbook. Sam gained 100 pounds the first year we were married because he had to be the "taste-tester" for all my cooking . :lol

My gravy could have been used as SPACKLING for holes in the wall.

Ever hear of food that "sticks to your ribs ? "

I think some of that gravy is STILL stuck to his ribs, all these years later .

CONCRETE .

I have a quick question for all the square-makers . Do you guys have a good idea of how to make the saltines line up straight, up and down and sideways ?

I keep trying to get them totally straight, but it's not working out.

I thought some of you that have made and assembled gazillions of them might have a better way of doing it than I do .

Thanks for any help or suggestions .

Morning all. Didn't get too much done yesterday as Krystal had her bat over us to work on the LTK :lol

I did manage 7 solids and 2 bicolored.

Julie I don't think I do anything special. I do go through the two corners twice. Other than that nothing else.

As for the cooking my grandma taught us the beginnings of cooking when we were younger but the only thing we really made when we were older was hamburger helper. I'm pretty decent so long as I have a recipe to follow though.

I have a quick question for all the square-makers . Do you guys have a good idea of how to make the saltines line up straight, up and down and sideways ?

I keep trying to get them totally straight, but it's not working out.

I thought some of you that have made and assembled gazillions of them might have a better way of doing it than I do .

Thanks for any help or suggestions .

Hi, Julie!

You mean at the corners? If that's it, I work almost an X in the corners when I whipstitch them together. That seems to work for me.

Hi, all. Shrove Tuesday is the day before Lent as Tracy said. It is the day that you use up the last of the butter and eggs and leavening and other things in the kitchen that won't be used again until after Easter. Hence the pancakes. In the early households they ate only unleavened bread during Lent. And went without a lot of other common foods, not just meat on Fridays.

Both of mine learned to cook while still in grade school and improved on it from then on. I drove my daughter crazy when she was trying to figure out how I spiced stuff though, because I didn't measure any of the spices. It was a pinch of this, a bit more of that, some of that, etc...... Then she'd want to know how much a pinch was. My casseroles never had the same ingredients twice in a row either. :lol :lol :lol She became a very good cook in spite of me. So did my son.

I cook like that, too. I never realized I was a good cook until a few years ago, when HB (my husband) started telling me he'd hit the jackpot. :manyheart My kids also eat a lot of non-kid food (the other night we had Asparagus and Ricotta tart) as a result.

I have started pointing out to my older kids what the dominant spice is in certain recipes so that they know what they like.

Shelly - I had a waffle recipe that came with my waffle iron, and it was good. I don't think they're quite the same.

If you go on Southbeachdiet.com they have an awesome waffle recipe that has NO flour in it, and it was fabulous. You really could not tell the difference except it was a HAIR less crispy. If you can't find it there, I'll see if I can find my copy.

Good Morning! I've been up since 4 due to a wrong number call and couldn't go back to sleep. But I sure have accomplished a lot in 5 hours. :lol

Julie, after I make each square I give the corners a "tug" to square it up a bit. They seem to just naturally come out a little crooked and this helps mine straighten up. I've added 35 more squares. :hook

Hi Donna ~ 7 solids and 2 bi-colors are on the list. :yes

Tracy, did you decide on a border? Julie's idea about using something feminine like scallops sounds good. :yarn

Thanks for the pointers on putting the squares together neater. I dont quite know what I'm doing that they don't look as "neat" as I'd like them to .

And thanks for the explanations of Shrove Tuesday .

We live in such a backwoods place, the only special Tuesday we have is 2-for-Tuesday, which means you get 2 pizzas for the price of one.

Can anybody say H-I-L-L-B-I-L-L-Y ?

We live in such a backwoods place, the only special Tuesday we have is 2-for-Tuesday, which means you get 2 pizzas for the price of one.

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Both of mine learned to cook while still in grade school and improved on it from then on. I drove my daughter crazy when she was trying to figure out how I spiced stuff though, because I didn't measure any of the spices. It was a pinch of this, a bit more of that, some of that, etc...... Then she'd want to know how much a pinch was.

Oh my mother did that! Drove me nuts :lol I wanted to know how she made bread pudding and after she gave me the ingredients she said to mix them together them taste it. When it tastes like homemade ice cream then you'll know it's right :blink

Cara howdy doody :hi hows the Angel coming along, are you nearly finished like Tracy is. Tracy is nearly ready for another project. :D

No :blush I've got over 10 rows left to do. No energy for months then I've spent all week repairing the damage of no energy (read:filthy house).

I hate to admit this, but I have never made pancakes from scratch either ,and I've been married for almost 32 years . I always use some type of mix . Those homemade ones sure sound good, though .

I've made homemade but a Texas grocery outfit we have makes the absolute BEST pancake mix. Just add water :D Momma never really taught me anything either until much later in life. As a kid I was a music student and I was told my priority was practice, practice, practice :D

Julie, Shrove Tuesday is pancake day. :lol I don't know if it has any other names or if there is a real name for it, but it is the Tuesday before Lent starts. :) I didn't know it was the day for pancakes until we moved to the UK almost 7 years ago. :lol

I did not know that.

Hi, all. Shrove Tuesday is the day before Lent as Tracy said. It is the day that you use up the last of the butter and eggs and leavening and other things in the kitchen that won't be used again until after Easter. Hence the pancakes. In the early households they ate only unleavened bread during Lent. And went without a lot of other common foods, not just meat on Fridays.

Oh so kinda like before Passover when you have to get all the leaven bread products out of the house. I learned something new today :yes

Thanks for the pointers on putting the squares together neater. I dont quite know what I'm doing that they don't look as "neat" as I'd like them to .

I just pop corners out when I finish one. That usually solves any lopsidedness if there is any. If you crochet sort of tight then you might want to ch 2 at the corners instead of ch 1 :yes

:rofl :rofl

Okay, housework all done. Well, except for the rugs in the dryer but that requires little attention.

Gotta get some stuff ready to go out in the mail tomorrow but then I'm spending the rest of the day with my hook! :hook

My 11 yr old GG does a lot of cooking... I just have to convince her to keep the flame lower when she is cooking eggs...

this made me laugh. I learned to cook eggs young as my mom worked & I took care of my grandma... She would always tell me to turn the flame down. :lol I do miss her so.

I have a simple recipe for homemade pancakes - it only require 6 ingredients and is very light and yummy.

:yes

Oooh really? Do you mind sharing? I have not had decent from scratch pancakes since I was a kid. :drool

:laughroll We only have taco tuesday.

I'll have pictures later today. I've been finishing up snowflakes and preemie afghans and such so far and taking pics of them for display.

We got a Belgian waffle iron for Christmas and the recipe that came with it beats the store mixes all hollow. Really, really good and all from scratch.

Tracy - the children's cookbook is called Usborne Farmyard Tales Children's Cookbook

Pancakes

1 egg, whisked into 1 C milk. Add 2tbsp melted and slightly cooled butter. Stir 2Tbsp sugar, 2 teas baking powder and 1 C flour together in separate bowl. Whisk gradually into liquids.

Pour batter on hot griddle.

If you like thinner pancakes, just add more milk - this recipe works great for modified crepes just adding more milk.

Oh Krystal those sound yummy! And ingredients I usually have on hand :D

I'm not a big fan of cooking. Spaghetti and pancakes are a definite fall back item for me. And I wouldn't mind so much if DBF would tell me what to make sometimes. I'll ask what he wants for dinner and he doesn't care :rolleyes

Archived