Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

He he, I'm cheating on my end weavings. I'm still joining as I go, but I'm bringing the previous tail into the square I'm working on when joining and stitching over it. It's slightly noticeable, but not majorly.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valerie you had a great time shopping by the look of it. What are you going to make with the ILTYarn.

I have 5 blue red heart and now 3 cornmeal red heart, Im saving it for a red heart saltine ghan. Not sure what pattern Im going to do yet, need to work out what other colors to put with it and the pattern of course but this will be after the games though. I know with red heart I can use a I hook because this yarn is much thicker than what we use here which usually only requires a H hook. Do you all use a I hook with red heart yarn.

Im having a lazy daisy day today, Im going to finish the 3rd block today I think then maybe more bicolor squares.

Cara I guess its just what your used to although I dont think I could go down to a G Hook with the red heart. Its funny how we all have our favorite hook. Mine is the H Hook and its the pink aluminium one only. I think I would be upset if I lost that one. Need to find more of them. Its not the steel ones but they are colored and like aluminium I think.

An I hook is my standard hook with RHSS and a lot of other 4 ply yarns as well. I like the look and they wash up nice and soft.

Valerie, sounds like a great shopping trip.

Prizm, that sounds like a good way to go to me. I sew first the front loops and then the back loops together and the ends slide in between the two joinings. They aren't noticable at all.

I have 3 rows done on the next filet crochet "CAYLOR" piece. I managed to miscount and had to fudge the pattern some on the first one, so I was extra careful to get it right on this one. Jonathan was very impressed with the first one and so was Shannon (especially after she noticed what it spelled.) :lol So they are getting one, too. They left for Missouri in the early afternoon today so the house is down from 11 people to 5 now. They had a friend and his family staying with them until yesterday, when they could move into their new house, which is just 3 houses down the block.

Cara I guess its just what your used to although I dont think I could go down to a G Hook with the red heart. Its funny how we all have our favorite hook. Mine is the H Hook and its the pink aluminium one only. I think I would be upset if I lost that one. Need to find more of them. Its not the steel ones but they are colored and like aluminium I think.

Wendy,

Who are your hooks made by? Boyle or Bates?

Prizm, that sounds like a good way to go to me. I sew first the front loops and then the back loops together and the ends slide in between the two joinings. They aren't noticable at all.

I would do that if I were whipstitching these. Instead since there's so many color changes I'm doing join as I go. It's too bad I would have to change so much, I think the squares would go slightly faster if I didn't have to join as I go :D

Linda - Sounds like you're right on track there. What a great thing you're doing by making one for Shannon and her family :hug

My favorite hook is my Clover G hook :hook

Its fun making things for others isnt it. If they have one in december, I might make stuff throughout the year and also buy bits and pieces as I see them so I will be ready.

Same here :yes

It was really weird for a little while when I shifted from my I hook (Boyle are my favorites) and shifted to the 7 steel hook for the filet work. I suppose if it hadn't been so long since I did any thread crochet it wouldn't have been so bad. I think I'm going to shift back to the squares for the Painted Desert on those days that John is here this week and do thread when he is visiting clients. I don't think Jonathan will make the connection between getting his opinion on them for his dad and grandparents and receiving one himself, but I'm certain that John would make the leap and figure it out if he knew I were making them for his folks and his son. I have to be more sneaky with him. :devil

My favorite hooks are from Susan Bates. I purchased a set of Boyle hooks and couldn't use them. My sister use Boyle so I'll give them to her or someone else.

H, I or J or comfortable for me. However, I prefer J but you can't use it often or everything will be huge.

Wendy, if they don't have a Christmas swap or HID...We the "SKY" group can play "White Elephant." I missed the HIJ sign up because of working but I would love to do something like that.

Oh, I think it would be GREAT fun to do a swap with the SKY ladies...

It would be awesome if we could each pick one of the others, or get assigned, whichever... and then send out a big box to them. Could we sign up by say Nov 1 and then we'd have two whole months to make stuff for the other person?

My favorite hooks are from Susan Bates. I purchased a set of Boyle hooks and couldn't use them. My sister use Boyle so I'll give them to her or someone else.

H, I or J or comfortable for me. However, I prefer J but you can't use it often or everything will be huge.

Wendy, if they don't have a Christmas swap or HID...We the "SKY" group can play "White Elephant." I missed the HIJ sign up because of working but I would love to do something like that.

I had lost a hook I was using and needed to replace it. I picked up a Boyle's and it went back the next day! For some reason I kept snagging the hook on the yarn. So I stick wtih Susan Bates now.

Oh, I think it would be GREAT fun to do a swap with the SKY ladies...

It would be awesome if we could each pick one of the others, or get assigned, whichever... and then send out a big box to them. Could we sign up by say Nov 1 and then we'd have two whole months to make stuff for the other person?

K - I am game for this. You have my support 100%. LET'S DO IT.

I had lost a hook I was using and needed to replace it. I picked up a Boyle's and it went back the next day! For some reason I kept snagging the hook on the yarn. So I stick wtih Susan Bates now.

That's exactly what the Boyle was doing when I used it. I have several sets of Susan Bates because noticed some stores here are going more with Boyles and Clover.

Joann's had a sale a few months back with all hooks/knitting needles 40% off. So I picked up the Crystalite pack for $9 something. I had also thought I'd lost my I hook, replaced it and then found the "lost" one. Then my secret pal at camp sent me an H lite up, and a K and L Crystalite. So I'm up to 3 I's, K's, L's, H's and 2 of everything else :lol I don't have to worry about losing some for awhile. And, it's easier to keep one hook with what I'm working on and I still have another in the same size to work with.

Archived