Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tabby, I'm very near the Jersey shore, but am originally from NY, so I know where Albany is. We have icy stuff this morning, but I'm prepared to stay put for days if it doesn't melt :D We won't starve:lol

I also love your idea of using purples to make the baby gingham...I love the shades of lilac and violets. I feel the urge for another trip to the yarn store:eek

My FIL gave me quite a bit of cash yesterday - just for me, he said:) - so I now have "mad money" (or in my case, yarn and book money) - just as I spent the last of his Christmas present!!

:clap:cheer:yay

I also gave the one and only (so far) preemie blanket I made to a neighbor who is a nurse at Cornell's NICU...she said the size was great (thanks, Linda T) and even if I wanted to make some a little bigger that would work, too. They'll take any reasonably-sized blankets or hats since many of the mothers weren't ready with any baby stuff!

Okay here are pics. of the yellows that i'm not going to use but thought i'de let you all see what I was talking about. The lighter square is done holding two strands together.

The other pic. is of the purples i'm going to use. I have to get square "mad" today so I can get some of this done. :hook:yarn

(clickable)

th_100_0049.jpg

th_100_0041.jpg

th_100_0040.jpg

Good Morning! Lots of busy people today. ;)

Vicki ~ That is going to be really pretty. I love your colors!

Tabby ~ You are so creative to try the other yarns; I wonder why RH or someone doesn't do pretty yellows. I got on their website (and others) and there aren't many choices.:angry I do love the shades of purple!:yarn :yarn :yarn

Judi ~ Let us know if you find yarn!:hook

Rats no two good shades of yellow for the gingham :angry But I did get a bunch of RH's Cornmeal (love that shade of yellow :)) to make a ghan for my sissy. Okay, lesse now, need one for a baby shower, one for sissy, one for brother-in-law, and one for....Oh no! What have I gotten myself into?!? :eek

Figure I might have them done by May....of 2012 :lol Better get busy :hook

Cara ~ I hope we are all still here in 2012; don't we have fun?:ghug

Mary, with ICY roads....I'm not going yarn shopping for a while:( ...though next week I'm planning on having a blast:lol :yay:yarn !

Good morning (ahem, afternoon :blush) Ladies :flower -

Whipeee!!! It's Photo Friday :cheer:woo:cheer

Vicky - That looks great! Good for you :clap

Tabby - Isn't that Cornmeal gorgeous? Bummer on your experiment with the yellows. It's amazing how the same weight yarn/thread can vary so much from one brand to the next. Love the idea of the purples, though! BTW saw your other quilt ghan in the Crochet-a-Quilt thread and wow! it's stunning!!

Judi - Aren't fathers-in-law just wonderful sometimes? Mine's like that, too....wouldn't trade him for the world :manyheart

Mary - Oh if this CAL is still going in 5 years I'll drop dead from the shock :faint Ahhhh, but I'd die a very, very happy woman :c9 because yes I'm having a blast!! I've never had Crochet Buddies before :hug

Hope if y'all get snow you don't end up having to go anywhere. We used to live down around West Point. I hate snow but I loved the free days off work. I would bundle up in my flannel jim-jams, big fuzzy slippers, that ratty old robe that I loved so much (before it finally fell apart) and stitch all day :hook

I'll do a piggy back post to show my progress...this one's gotten too long :lol

Cara, yes, my FIL (DH's step-dad) is something else! He'll be 90 in Aug.- and whoever said a good disposition will help you live longer never met him!! I listen to him complain, take him shopping, to the doctor, etc. He always tells me how much he appreciates me, and it's nice to hear - but it's also nice to get tangible "proof" of his gratitude:D ...that and a trip to a fast food place when I'm visiting:devil . I'm easy to please:lol

Okay, here's my photos...let's see if I can do this right this time :lol

First, I got another block done on the Roundabout. Better than halfway done :cheer

roundabout316_thumb.jpg

(clickable)

And next, I'm amazed at how much of the Pretty Gingham I got done this week :eek !! I don't know how I did it, I'm as amazed as y'all :lol I think it might be because it's all single colored squares and a pretty uncomplicated pattern. Think I'll recommend this one to first timers from now on :yes

gingham316_thumb.jpg

(clickable)

Speaking of the Pretty Gingham, what's another good color when you want a non-gender specific piece? I can only think of green and yellow :think At first when Tabby brought up purples I thought that might work but that's pretty girlie, too. How about teals/aquas/turqoise or in that vein? I'm stumped :bang so I shall lay the question before y'all, oh, Gurus of the Hook :hook

Cara, yes, my FIL (DH's step-dad) is something else! He'll be 90 in Aug.- and whoever said a good disposition will help you live longer never met him!! I listen to him complain, take him shopping, to the doctor, etc. :lol

Oh happy day!! That means there's hope for me yet!! I can be a bit of a grumpus :lol

Cara, I think for gender-neutral you're on target with teal, etc...the purple is way too girlie, unfortunately.:( ...IMO...

I LOVE your work! And the baby gingham is perfect...lots of practice joining squares, hmmmm?

Okay, here's my photos...let's see if I can do this right this time :lol

And next, I'm amazed at how much of the Pretty Gingham I got done this week :eek !! I don't know how I did it, I'm as amazed as y'all :lol I think it might be because it's all single colored squares and a pretty uncomplicated pattern. Think I'll recommend this one to first timers from now on :yes

gingham316_thumb.jpg

(clickable)

That is so beautiful!!!! I am doing mine in Orchid, Dark Orchid, and Aran and right now, it does NOT look as nice as this one....but its getting there....slowly but surely. I know I was supposed to post pictures of it today but I have been very busy...I have been hired on with the School District to be a Teacher's Aide her at the school where I work at the Native American Library (also, my DD will be attending Kindergarten here). I am running around like a decapitated chicken. But I plan on doing some serious crocheting and whipstitching....

I LOVE your work! And the baby gingham is perfect...lots of practice joining squares, hmmmm?

:lol Yeah, you could say I've had lots of practice....I've started designing these things 11 years ago and I've loved every minute of it :hook

Cara~Thank you for the compliments on my other ghan. It means alot coming from the "Master of quilt ghans". :blush:manyheart Both of your ghans are coming along beautifully. :clap :clap As far as gender colors, I think the greens & yellows are about it. I do think the teal family would work also. I have a baby ghan to make too and have no idea what the gender is yet but i'm waiting because I REALLY want her to have a girl so I can use pink. I haven't used much of it with 4 boys. :eek

Cara- I think you are the one who mentioned Cornmeal -- that is a nice shade of yellow . They also USED to have a really pretty shade called Eggnog-- it was a very light yellow -- so pretty. I always wanted to make something with that color, but didn't buy it at the time, now it is nowhere to be found . It may have been discontinued, I'm not sure .

Believe it or not, ladies , I am trying HARD to save up a little extra spending money-- when we go down to our reunion, there is a HARDWARE store ( yep, HARDWARE ......) in this tiny town we stay in that has the best yarn selection I have ever seen if you are a Red Heart fan. They told me they order EVERY shade / they have all the 7 oz and all the 3.5 oz ---- TONS of colors you never EVER see anyplace else, so I always try to have some stash money when we go down there each June . I'll keep you all updated on what all I find .

Cara- BEAUTIFUL !!! Especially the greens- my gosh, that is gorgeous .

It's hard to think of very many baby colors that don't look like girl colors-- so many of them do, other than the yellow and green. Even peach would look girlie, unless you could combine it with another color to make it a little more masculine .

Judi - if the saying Only the Good Die Young , is true..... I should be here another 75 years at least . :D

Mel- congrats on the new job-- it sounds great !

Tab- thanks for the term SQUARE MAD .

That's what I need to get . I went into a major crochet funk the past few weeks and got next to nothing accomplished .

This has been a pretty crappy week around here with WAY too many outside interferences to concentrate on crochet .

This weekend I need to get Square Mad too. I have tried a new tactic-- let's hope it works. I am trying to finish all one color of all the squares I will need, then move on to the next. We'll see how that new idea floats .

Thanks to everyone sharing photos --- nice job to each and every one of you . :manyheart

Hey everyone! There are some beautiful pictures posted here today! :)

I was thinking about the non gender specific colors... What about browns? I have a blanket I got as a baby that is out of material, but it is like, light browns, with a little bit of burgandy, and blue. Hehe, maybe that's why I love those colors? Anyway, I think navy/burgandy/browns or tans look pretty good for neutral. However, those are darker... You know, not everyone likes pastels for babies. A friend of mine said she could never do pastel colors if she had a baby. Not sure where she'd find clothes though... Anyway, hope that helps someone. :)

Victoria

Archived