Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is everyone today? :think I'm going to change the name of Cara's pattern from "Baby Blocks" to "Baby Steps" ;) because it has taken me forever to decide what to do!

I took apart my solid block in strips and am using those for part of the sashing for four patterned blocks. So, I will end up with four blocks bordered by one row of squares in the rose pink. Then I will crochet the regular border. You ask "WHY"...Well, I wanted it a bit smaller and ready for a baby shower March 10th.:yes I hate to crochet with deadlines!:hook

It's the end of my day and I feel pretty good about what I accomplished today. I have crocheted 14 of the 70 squares for the cribghan and they are all attached to one another in two rows of 7 squares each. I really like the way it is looking and so do John and Kim. These yarn colors are very rich looking together. And sooooo soft! Yeah!!!!:manyheart

Where is everyone today? :think I'm going to change the name of Cara's pattern from "Baby Blocks" to "Baby Steps" ;) because it has taken me forever to decide what to do!

I took apart my solid block in strips and am using those for part of the sashing for four patterned blocks. So, I will end up with four blocks bordered by one row of squares in the rose pink. Then I will crochet the regular border. You ask "WHY"...Well, I wanted it a bit smaller and ready for a baby shower March 10th.:yes I hate to crochet with deadlines!:hook

:lol must be the season for babies....I haven't done anything on the Roundabout this week because my cousin's induction have been moved up several weeks so now I'm on a tighter deadline. Oh well, I'll have a new pattern to list out of the experience and it's not even quilt squares if you can believe it :eek

Linda--sounds like you've made great progress!

Cara--Glad to see you feeling a bit better!

I've officially joined the CAL with my first row and a half of my first block done! I had trouble with the bicolor squares--i think I figured out a way that works though! I was going to join together but wanted to know...

...What joining method are you all using? Julie I know you've mentioned a hand-dandy joining method--and I think I didn't use it last time but am thinking I might try a different method this go round.

Good Morning! :manyheart

Mary~It was too quiet in here last night, kinda scarey. :ghost :lol

Rachel~I'm sc mine together & others are whipstitching. I don't really know of any other joining methods but I hoped this helped a bit. Good Luck! :hook

Cara~I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Good luck on that baby-ghan. I can't wait to see what you came up with. :fluffy:bounce

I'm joining squares for charity ghans - and they're all different colors! I'm using off-white and whipstitching them together instead of using the sc. By gently tugging as I whipstitch I have the squares so close together you can barely see the yarn I've used.:hook

I've sc'd before--i was worried that the squares were too small to take away more of their size by using this method!

Whipstitching seems the best for little squares...easier to hide your ends while you're at it, too!:D

Good morning, all. It's thunderstorms and rain here today. On the news they said it would start this afternoon, but it started in the wee hours this morning instead. A good day to crochet.:manyheart

Cara - Glad to hear you are some better. A new pattern! Uh-oh! Here we go again. When do we get to see it? Soon? :devil

Rachel - I'm doing a whip stitch in the back loops only followed by a whip stitch in the front loops only, but mine is going to be used a LOT, so it needs to be extra secure.:D

I'm joining squares for charity ghans - and they're all different colors! I'm using off-white and whipstitching them together instead of using the sc. By gently tugging as I whipstitch I have the squares so close together you can barely see the yarn I've used.:hook

Rachel ~ I use this same method and it's working well so far! :)

Morning Mary!

I'm thinking I'm going to try the whipstitch. I used crochet joins last time because it seemed quicker and more secure than trusting my sewing abilities. I'll give the whipstitch a shot though and see what happens. Are you leaving an 18" tail on your squares so you can whipstitch with that?

Oh--got another dumb question-- when whipstitching--do you find it easier to place the right sides together and whip through them while the squares are on top or eachother or do you whip while they are side by side?

And another--I saw pictures online on joining and they show the wrong sides as the side with the more raised edge where the top of the stitch is curving over...is that correct?

Thanks for your help and patience!

Morning Mary!

I'm thinking I'm going to try the whipstitch. I used crochet joins last time because it seemed quicker and more secure than trusting my sewing abilities. I'll give the whipstitch a shot though and see what happens. Are you leaving an 18" tail on your squares so you can whipstitch with that?

You can do that...I've only done it with my 12 inch squares, so far. It saves you having to weave in more ends, esp when you're doing the smaller squares.

Oh--got another dumb question-- when whipstitching--do you find it easier to place the right sides together and whip through them while the squares are on top or eachother or do you whip while they are side by side?

And another--I saw pictures online on joining and they show the wrong sides as the side with the more raised edge where the top of the stitch is curving over...is that correct?

Thanks for your help and patience!

Right on all counts: right sides are placed together, and the tallest loop is the one on the WRONG side or back, and this is the one you draw your needle through.

Good Afternoon, Ladies. I'm back home and ready to get out the hook.:)

Rachel ~ Judi is so good at explaining things...I needed her explanations when I started this!:manyheart There are pictures showing this method on crochet.about.com - Go to Stitches and Techniques - Joining crochet pieces.

Archived