Has any one here ever made : Hot /cold Rice Pack?

moomooo

Hello ladies and gents:

I was wondering if any one here can guide me in the right direction for making them Hot/cold packs..

You know the kind some people use rice or other seeds to heating in microwave or keep in the freezers..

Please if you ever dont these either with fabric or yarn tell me how and what is best to use as fillers..

thanks I really want to try them...

hugs

Lillibet

HI Katheryn:

Any ideas on how to??? I am a wee dumb for these things with out guidance.

Can something like that be crocheted as well????

hugs

Lillibet

I wouldn't crochet something unless you plan on lining it. Otherwise, the rice will leak out.

We didn't use a pattern.. just grabbed some material, folded it in half and sewed up the sides. Then, turned it right side out and stuffed it with rice and cinnamon before sewing up the top.

When we did the bag out of an old towel, we used dental floss for thread since it was stronger. We didnt' use a machine to sew it.

I use fabric and make a 2 squares in the size I want and sew around with right sides together...leaving a gap so that I can turn it right side out and then fill. some people use wheat...I usually use rice. I put my rice in a bowl that I can seal and add scented oil to it...leave it to soak in for a few days then use a funnel to fill my rice bags. you can neatly hand stitch that gap but since these are usually for my own family I just run my sewing maching across there most of the time. I made a huge one of these for one of my daughters who had trouble with painful monthly cramps and she loved that thing! flannel or fleece make nice ones but you can use whatever fabric you like. we use ours a lot!

Well thank you my friends I will now go ahead and give it a try...

Will pull out fabric this weekend to see what i come up with...

hugs for all your help ladies..

Lillibet

Good luck! I made 45 of them for Christmas for my entire staff. I used tiger print material (since that is our school mascot). Folded it, sewed 2 sides, filled it with long grain (don't use instant!) rice and sewed shut. Very easy, and boy did my staff really enjoy them.

Wow ladies thank you all for your help and crabby rat thank you for that link I will save it and give these things a try today..

I got some flax seeds so will see what happenes...

I will keep you all posted...

And if any one makes any please show thenm here...

Now i need a poem that can go in a gift tag so people know what to do with the packs...

So if any one here that creative please create a poem..

hugs

Lillibet

When filling, do not overfill so that it is packed tightly as you want enough room that the rice came move around a bit and "mold" to the area to which it is applied. I have also seen them done with channels or rows of stitching length wise after the fabric has been turned right-side out but I find they are are not as flexible and take longer to make (seem to work better for a larger, flatter pack for a large area like your back.

I like the idea of using a scented oil...wonder if I can find a jasmine scented oil (cannot use lavender scent).

I read some where on line last night that one lady she uses her favorite tea and adds that to the rice...

I have no long grain rice here now only the flax seed i bought at 1.69 for a one pound bag so If that works for me i will try that..

Listen to what i have plans to do?

Hubby loves his METS baseball team.... So i plan to make him one with the colors of the mets and cut it into a circle and make it for him that ways and then I will crochet a flat round cover for his pack sort of to look like a base ball...

So wish me luck this is thinking only...

Then since i love cows,, I will make mine any fabric i may have of cows and then for the outer crocheted cover i will wing up a doofy looking cow i guess ..

for the outter covers i will use the crochet cotton as that is what i read on crochet me where i came across a cover for a Comfort Pack....

hugs

Lillibet

I did a quick search and ran across this site:

http://www.quiltbug.com/Articles/microwave-bag.htm

it looks easy enough even for me! And now I have ideas for Christmas presents!!! Hope this is helpful!

Good luck!

Wow! that is a fantastic link...I have always made a very basic bag and never with feed corn...have to give this a try! I am glad you started this thread moo...I am going to start on some of these for christmas!

I read some where on line last night that one lady she uses her favorite tea and adds that to the rice...

I have no long grain rice here now only the flax seed i bought at 1.69 for a one pound bag so If that works for me i will try that..

Listen to what i have plans to do?

Hubby loves his METS baseball team.... So i plan to make him one with the colors of the mets and cut it into a circle and make it for him that ways and then I will crochet a flat round cover for his pack sort of to look like a base ball...

So wish me luck this is thinking only...

Then since i love cows,, I will make mine any fabric i may have of cows and then for the outer crocheted cover i will wing up a doofy looking cow i guess ..

for the outter covers i will use the crochet cotton as that is what i read on crochet me where i came across a cover for a Comfort Pack....

hugs

Lillibet

this sounds great also! think I need to start a folder of ideas for next Christmas and just keep adding to it as people share these great ideas!! can't wait to see your baseball idea...and I love the idea of putting in tea

I made them for Christmas one year as gifts. Just took a Hand towel, folded it over and sewed the 3 open sides and filled it with deer corn. It's actually the cheapest way and if you are using it as a hot pad will stay hot longer. Walmart usually sells it.

Mrs. Principal, that is a really good idea. I think I would rather sew those up instead of crochet them since you have to line a crocheted holder anyway.

contrary.crocheter, I love the idea of scented oil. Some lavender would be great, it's so calming.

Thanks for sharing all your ideas everyone.

Yes ladies please keep your ideas coming...

I just got in so my day is pretty much shot with my sewing for now unless hubby gots baseball tonight then i will sew while he watches the game...

I will be using the fabric to make the pack but i just want to crochet a cover for it to keep the pack cleaner etc since they wont be able to be washed ,, but if they have a cover then we can always wash the covers....

It was what the lady on Crochet Me did and i think its a great idea, for washing purposes. Only I will not use regular yarn only the cottom worsted weight ones....

Well got to go thur the ville and then off to cook..

hugs

Lillibet

A word about adding scents--if it's for a gift make sure the individual is not allergic to scented things (perfumes, scented oils, etc.). I have one I received as a gift but cannot use it because of the added scent. I'm very allergic to perfumes, air freshners, etc.

The ones I made, I used cotton muslin and then made a cover for them out of flannel. Helps to keep the rice warm longer. Plus you can take the cover off to wash it.

Hi Sherry:

I finally made my hubby one in the round.... I had some odd pieces of batting and so i used that with scrap cotton fabric for the inside and then i used a sport kind of cotton fabric for the out side and i used crshed cinnamon sticks and the inside of peppermint tea bags to add to the flex seeds....

Well hubby has been using it since friday,,, I still plan on crochetint it a outer cover so i can wash that if it were to get dirty..

I must say that the heat pad stays warm for like 15 minutes ..

I put it in the microwave no more than 2 minutes....

I will take photo of it as soon as i find my memory card its inside the gadget that reads the photos and passes it to my pc....

I am going to work on one for my sisters chihuahua she is the toy breed and she is forever cold ... So i will make her one for my sister to put under her blankies in her bed for extra warmth... Its still nippy up here...

I want to make some as gifts too for some of my friends here that i know can use one....

And for me too of course.....

Well I hope if some of you ladies make some please do share your photos here...

hugs

Lillibet

? I'm not sure why you are only getting 15 minutes of heat out of it. I made one with flax seeds, into a muslin bag with 3 channels, filled about half full. I had an old bath towel that I cut up for a cover, for washability and for a little insulation because it gets HOT. (Yes, don't nuke it for more than 2 minutes). Mine stays quite warm for well over an hour. I think you may have insulated yours a bit too much with the batting.

Archived