Helping Homeless Veterans

BPitard

I'm working on patterns for scarves. Would like to know if you prefer to Knit or Crochet, and if you prefer to make stripes, use variegated yarns, or keep it simple with a solid color. Also, have you ever knit a scarf "in the round"?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just took a peek at your blog. Do you have some kind of list of places where you send these items? Maybe we could cut through the postage problem by donating them locally. Then we don't have the expense to mail them to you and then perhaps have you mail them right back to a shelter near me. But the goal is still achieved. I am in the Metro Phoenix area and I am not sure of a shelter just for vets, but a city this big must have one.

hello "BPM" (not sure your name so I made one for you LOL)

I absolutely encourage you to donate locally if your able to. Mine isn't a "registered" charity or anything... I just do it to be helpful. The shelter in my area actually told me they don't want any more scarves so I have to ship all I receive. I have to find it, but there is a website with a complete list of all veterans shelters. My only recommendation is that you keep the scarves "simple" - solid colors - navy, army green, black, gray... nothing fancy... plain stitches. Remember, these are going to be used by men who have a lot of issues and most do not want to stand out in a crowd with a bright red/white/blue scarf. If you want, I can include your donations in my totals - and once you do find a shelter maybe I can send you some to deliver for me (if they need more than you can do).

We can talk more...

I never thought about avoiding the bright colors. That is an excellent tip.

My husband (former Marine) reminded me that we have a VA hospital here, but he doesn't know of a shelter just for homeless vets.

I never thought about avoiding the bright colors. That is an excellent tip.

My husband (former Marine) reminded me that we have a VA hospital here, but he doesn't know of a shelter just for homeless vets.

There is a new shelter being set up in the Phoenix area. I just sent you a private message about it.

:clapthank you for doing this as a disabled vet I think that this is so cooool and it touches my heart. the best place to look is at the VA hospitals or talk to the disabled american vets org. and other vet orgs. in your area. Hope this helps you find a place to donate also the VA hospitals have an auxziary club and they have patterns for the vets that are hospitalized I am working on ghans for my VA:crocheting

• 4 weeks later...

I know many of our homeless are Veterans, but would like more info. So did I understand correctly you don't need anymore donations at this time? Or just one location doesn't? Sorry, just found this thread.

We should perhaps connect on our blogs?

Hi Sandy

My local Homeless Veterans Shelter doesn't need any more scarves. What I have been suggesting is that people find a shelter in their area to donate to and if they are unable to, I ask them to include a small donation to help cover postage costs when they send scarves to me. When I get a bunch saved up, and its getting cold, I will start sending them to shelters throughout the country. Because I have a very small "time window" for picking packages up at the Post Office, I do ask for notice when a package is sent (it takes me 1/2 hour to get there, and I can only go on Saturday mornings).

We should absolutely connect our blogs. Also, are you willing to share your pattern for mittens? I would love to start including hats and mittens in our deliveries.

Sorry to be so long getting back to you. Been a bit crazy. I have 2 patterns posted on my blog, Bridge and Beyond.

Left you a comment on your blog also. I accept knitted or crocheted hats, mittens, and scarves for homeless and have not yet hit the situation where they have more then they need or can use; so happy to have folks mail to me. All items are hand delivered to those in need through a group of ladies who prepare hot meals on Sat's am a couple of times a month.

I plan to check about a focus on Veterans at the shelters in my area and we'll get our heads together.

Sandy

Hi Sandy

My local Homeless Veterans Shelter doesn't need any more scarves. What I have been suggesting is that people find a shelter in their area to donate to and if they are unable to, I ask them to include a small donation to help cover postage costs when they send scarves to me. When I get a bunch saved up, and its getting cold, I will start sending them to shelters throughout the country. Because I have a very small "time window" for picking packages up at the Post Office, I do ask for notice when a package is sent (it takes me 1/2 hour to get there, and I can only go on Saturday mornings).

We should absolutely connect our blogs. Also, are you willing to share your pattern for mittens? I would love to start including hats and mittens in our deliveries.

Archived