hyphenatedlady

Sweet little Sunhat (need testers)

I just wrote this out and want to make sure it is written clearly so I could use testers.

102_1037.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/hyphenatedlady/102_1039.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/hyphenatedlady/102_1034.jpg

Sweet little Sunhat

0-3 month (instructions for larger sizes included in notes at the end)

Materials:

Worsted weight cotton yarn

H hook

Yarn needle

Abbreviations:

CH= chain

DC= double crochet

SS= Slip Stitch

St= stitch

YO= Yarn over

X = X stitch (YO skip a stitch, DC in next St, YO DC in skipped St) here is a tutorial if you need more help http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-x-stitch.htm

BLO= Back Loop Only

FLO= Front Loop Only

Round 1: CH 3, DC 11 in first CH join with SS to top of CH 3 (12 DC total)

Round 2: CH 3, DC in same CH, 2 DC in each Ch around, join (24 DC)

Round 3: CH 3, DC in same chain, *1 DC in next CH, 2 DC in next CH* repeat from * to * around, join (36 DC)

Round 4: CH 3, DC in same CH, *1 DC in next 2 CH, 2 DC in next CH* repeat from * to * around, join (48 DC)

Round 5: CH 3, DC in BLO in each ST around, join (48 DC)

Round 6: CH 3, DC in stitch before join, X stitch around, join (24 X stitches)

Round 7: Repeat round 6

Round 8: CH 3, DC in each ST around, join (48 DC)

Round 9: CH 1, SC in FLO in next, *2 SC in next , SC in next 2* repeat from * to * around, join

Round 10: CH 1, SC in next two ST, *2 SC in next, SC in next 4* repeat from * to * around, join

Round 11: CH 1, SC in next ST, *2 SC in next, SC in next 6* repeat from * to * around, join, fasten off (88 SC)

Use the yarn needle to weave in loose ends.

I used a decorative button to embellish my hat but you can crochet a flower or small butterfly as an ornament.

NOTES:

To increase size add a round or rounds after round 4, the number of stitches between your single DC by one for each addition round. i.e. the next round would be *1 DC in next 3 CH, DC in next CH* the next row would be *1 DC in next 4, DC in next CH* and so on.

To increase length add rounds of X stitch between rounds 6 and 7.

To increase width of brim increase after Round 11 by 2’s. i.e. *2 SC in next, SC in next 8* for next round, then *2 SC in next, SC in next 10* for the next

Happy hooking!

Thanks for testing the pattern!

Edited by hyphenatedlady

I'm not going to commit to testing this, but I hope to get the chance! It's an adorable hat!

I'll give it a whirl & let you know how I do. The tutorial pictures are to dark for me to see so I'll just see if I actually know how to make the stitch & don't realize it. I've been at this for a great deal of years without knowing the proper names for stitches as I made my creations.

I'll give it a whirl & let you know how I do. The tutorial pictures are to dark for me to see so I'll just see if I actually know how to make the stitch & don't realize it. I've been at this for a great deal of years without knowing the proper names for stitches as I made my creations.

Here's another tutorial http://hooked-on-crochet.blogspot.com/2007/08/simple-x-stitch-edging.html

Adorable summer hat..

I will be a tester. What brand of yarn is the best one to use for this hat? Also, when would you need this done by?

I worked your pattern for the most part exactly as written the only part I changed was the beginning round.

I prefer to chain 4, join with a sl st to form a circle & then proceed with the DC into the circle with a sl st to join. I did try your version 1st but couldn't make it work for me. So I converted to my format & worked the rest of your pattern exactly as written. I did however, make notations to it to explain how many stitches total I needed to finish the round correctly.

Round 1 = 12 total DC

Round 2 = 24 total DC

Round 3 = 36 total DC

Round 4 = 48 total DC

Round 5 = 48 total DC

Round 6 & 7 = 24 x's

Round 8 = 48 DC

Round 9 - 11 worked as directed with round 11 equalling 88 total sc.

post-37121-135897521559_thumb.jpg

post-37121-135897521553_thumb.jpg

Edited by MommabearMintun
repositioning pictures.

I will be a tester. What brand of yarn is the best one to use for this hat? Also, when would you need this done by?

Whenever you can get to it is fine. I am trying to catalog patterns but since I write them for myself to follow I want to make sure they are understood. I used the Peaches & Creme yarn you can get at Walmart (the only yarn supply close by). I love the cotton, not only for summer because it holds its shape well.

BTW, The little hat fit my friends' 3 week old perfectly and she is 9 1/2 pounds right now.

Edited by hyphenatedlady

I worked your pattern for the most part exactly as written the only part I changed was the beginning round.

I prefer to chain 4, join with a sl st to form a circle & then proceed with the DC into the circle with a sl st to join. I did try your version 1st but couldn't make it work for me. So I converted to my format & worked the rest of your pattern exactly as written. I did however, make notations to it to explain how many stitches total I needed to finish the round correctly.

Round 1 = 12 total DC

Round 2 = 24 total DC

Round 3 = 36 total DC

Round 4 = 48 total DC

Round 5 = 48 total DC

Round 6 & 7 = 24 x's

Round 8 = 48 DC

Round 9 - 11 worked as directed with round 11 equalling 88 total sc.

[ATTACH]19257[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]19258[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much! When I chain 4 and join I end up with a hole in the middle which I hate :lol I will try to get back in a bit and add your counts to the pattern the kids are running around like crazies.

Thanks so much! When I chain 4 and join I end up with a hole in the middle which I hate :lol I will try to get back in a bit and add your counts to the pattern the kids are running around like crazies.

I work in the actual chain themselves not out of the center of the circle. When I work from the center around the entire chained I end up with a hole in the center as well.

I've worked what I believe to be the next 2 sizes up however, I did have to modify it a bit more so I will send you an PM to provide you with the dimensions that I used. I don't have any small models to try them on at this time. But I hope that this coming Sunday there will be a few infants at church to model them for me.

So if I worked them correctly, the grey one should fit 3- 6 mos post-37121-135897522033_thumb.jpg

And the beige one should be 6 - 9 mospost-37121-135897522036_thumb.jpg

This shows how each is just one level larger than the previous. post-37121-135897522038_thumb.jpg

post-37121-135897521991_thumb.jpg

post-37121-135897522035_thumb.jpg

Edited by MommabearMintun
correcting sizes.

I work in the actual chain themselves not out of the center of the circle. When I work from the center around the entire chained I end up with a hole in the center as well.

I've worked what I believe to be the next 2 sizes up however, I did have to modify it a bit more so I will send you an PM to provide you with the dimensions that I used. I don't have any small models to try them on at this time. But I hope that this coming Sunday there will be a few infants at church to model them for me.

So if I worked them correctly, the grey one should fit 6-9 mos [ATTACH]19271[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]19272[/ATTACH]

And the beige one should be 12mos+[ATTACH]19273[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19274[/ATTACH]

This shows how each is just one level larger than the previous. [ATTACH]19275[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much for all of your work. I will have to try your size increases the way you sent them to me. For me to increase sizes I add one round on the top and one row of X stitch for each size increase and it has turned out well.

Thanks so much for all of your work. I will have to try your size increases the way you sent them to me. For me to increase sizes I add one round on the top and one row of X stitch for each size increase and it has turned out well.

I will try you increase increments again. I didn't fully understand how you wrote them apparently but will attempt it again. Thanks ever so much.

I made this and it turned out great! Love it! Will for sure be using it again! Thanks for providing it for free!

Great pattern! I worked as written, except that I began with a magic ring. Turned out perfect! I use Peaches&Cream in "powder puff," which is a sort of faded denim/white ombre; it's lovely! Thanks so much for posting this; I don't do much baby stuff and this will be perfect for my newest grand-niece. I'd not encountered the Xstitch before, gonna have to use it again. Love it!

that is one cute pattern I will have to try it I love sun hats they are so cute. Might not get to it until I have a week or so free from classes we shall see since I am working on an afghan for a high school graduation present.