Thread Hooks - What is your favorite kind?

Kimberly

What is your favorite thread hook to use? I know that many of you use various vintage hooks or foreign purchased hooks.

I recently purchased a group of thread hooks off of e-bay. I have found many 'new' names in this batch. Including Bucilla, L'Oreal and Lee Wards (made in Japan) to add to my already owned Boye hooks. There were also several hooks with no brands now as well a few of the smaller size hooks with a bone (??) handle!

But my favorite is a Susan Bates "Made in Mexico" hook in a Size 5 - This hook is wonderful! I love the shape of the hook! I just wish that there had been more than a Size 5 in my purchase!

I tend to use a size 6 most often. And its Boye, although I have a Susan Bates 6 as well. I would love to try some other brands.

Not to sound dumb but its the L'Oreal hook the one that comes in the highlighting hair color kit? They come with a small hook too....maybe I'm way off base here, if so, sorry!

I do have a plastic 5 but not sure of the brand.:think

For me it's the Clover Soft Touch hook. It's like their yarn hook, but made for thread. They have sizes ranging from 1.65 mm down to .6mm. I have the complete set and use nothing else. The comfort handles make it easier to work with threads smaller than size 20.

~ Lori

Not to sound dumb but its the L'Oreal hook the one that comes in the highlighting hair color kit? They come with a small hook too....maybe I'm way off base here, if so, sorry!
Oh my - I am not even sure on this one since mine came courtesy of an e-bay auction....does anyone know? :think It seems most likely that it did...if thats the case, what kind of hook would it be - Boye??

Oddly enough I received a size 8 Susan Bates hook today in my Sea of Yarn Swap package! Less than an hour after I said that I wished I had something other than a size 5 - what a co-inky-dink! I can not wait to try it out!!

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite hook is an older Bates 13. I have found the Lee Wards and Tulip hooks close equivalents. The newer Bates hooks have much too thin a shaft. I finally have a good size set of these hooks, thanks to eBay.

I have a L'Oreal hook, too! I came across it the other day in my sewing box. And yes, It did come out of a highlighting kit from long ago. I was tempted (only for a fraction of a second) to toss it. Silly me.

My favorites have always been my boye crochet hooks and I have used all kinds. The older boye hooks that is, I bought one not to long ago and it is definitely one that wont become one of my favorites. I really like a Dmc hook but I have only found one and it's one of my special hooks. I find Susan Bates make my hands hurt, Dont ask me why but they do.

I just got a Clover soft touch Hook and Have two other handled hooks on order. Just figured I should try and give my hands a break before trouble hits. So I am experimenting with different hooks to see which one I like the best. I hope to get a chance to play with them in a few days but have another project in the works that reguires a larger hook than what I got. I do want to Thank Lori for the information on where to find the thread size clover hooks. If I like the one I got I will probably order myself the full set.

Mine is a Susan Bates #7! Hook is not too small & not too big. Weight is perfect and it fits perfectly in my hand! It works well with #3, #10, #20 thead although the #20 thread is a bit harder to work with. I have 3 #7s just in case I loose one!

My favorite is my good old Boye size 6 hook which I make most of my doilies with. I also like my Clover Soft Touch hook--size 6. as well, but alas, it's currently lost:(. I really need to get another one.

Anyone care to share where they found the clover soft touch hooks in thread sizes? I have one of the blue cushions but would like to try those as well.

I don't have a favorite thread hook yet - I've only used 7 hooks; I think I like the "old" one slightly better (I inherited it when one my Grandmother's friends passed away and they gave me all her old hooks in the hopes that I'd use them someday - thank goodness I never got rid of them!).

I've only used Boye (the new kind, I guess, since I've mostly gotten them within the past year or so) and Bates thread hooks so far. And really, I'm torn. Though I don't have a big preference in hook shape for yarn, I do have trouble with the thread falling right off the Boye hooks a lot. But the Bates hooks run so small, and I'm a tight crocheter. Mostly the Boyes win out because the sizing works better for me. I use my size 5 Boye hook more than anything else. It's what I automatically pick up when the pattern says to use a size 7 :hook

Susan Bates 5 or 6. I love these things! I had been using Boye from the time I started crocheting and just recently switched to Bates for my steel hooks. I've been very happy with them and most likely will not go back to Boye.
Another Bates fan!! :clap I just recently received some additional sizes from Priscilla (I sent her the Inox and Phildar hooks that I had from here in Europe) and I am loving them so far! I can not wait for the weekend when I can get back to some serious crocheting!! :hook

My favorite thread hooks are the INOX ones that I ordered from Lacis. They have a plastic handle that basically acts like the blue cushions and helps save my wrists. :)

I am going to order some Soft Touch steel hooks eventually, but for now I'm happy with my INOX hooks. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've only used Boye (the new kind, I guess, since I've mostly gotten them within the past year or so) and Bates thread hooks so far. And really, I'm torn. Though I don't have a big preference in hook shape for yarn, I do have trouble with the thread falling right off the Boye hooks a lot. But the Bates hooks run so small, and I'm a tight crocheter. Mostly the Boyes win out because the sizing works better for me. I use my size 5 Boye hook more than anything else. It's what I automatically pick up when the pattern says to use a size 7 :hook

I sure found the Bates to be smaller than Boye. I bought two Bates hooks sizes 4 and 5 and my swatch with those two hooks was smaller than the swatch I made with my No. 6 Boye. But I do admit I like crocheting with a Bates steel hook more than a Boye. I just don't understand why hooks can't be uniform in size no matter who the manufacturer is.

I got this link from Lori, Lone Star Yarns. I got mine within days of ordering it.

Thanks for the link. I have been using Many differnt thread hooks trying to find the one that didn't bother my wrists to much. I had settled on the Clover soft touch hooks for my yarn work, but I had no idea they made thread ones too....

I've only used Boye hooks because they were the only available at Walmart. Maybe someday I can afford to splurge a bit and try out the clover ones, I drool over them cause I think it would help me crochet more comfortably and for longer periods of time =)

I've used Boye 0, 6, 7, 8 so far, but I do also have a 3, 5 and 10.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

since i am new to crochet, all my hooks have been purchased within the year, and are from my local craft stores....i have susan bates and boye....i MUCH prefer the bates...the boye hooks seem to catch the yarn all the time..like the hook itself is flared out slightly (i dont know how to explain it).

Archived