2011 Scarves for Special Olympics

VanessaH

Tried to start mine, but my goodness, this Super Saver is incredibly difficult to work with!!!! I've had to throw away three different false starts, because the yarn was so frizzed up. I'm thinking that SS doesn't like Florida humidity...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Special Olympic website now has more information with guidelines and addresses by state to send the scarves to. They are saying that they need to be mailed by January 19, 2011. I have 5 ready to go and will have more by January....I hope.

Most recent info on Special Olympics USA Scarf Project 2011:

The website is up http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/

Here is the info for the Special Olympics Northern California Scarf Project 2011:

Special Olympics Northern California athletes compete in the following winter sports:

• Floor Hockey
  • Cross-Country Skiing
  • Alpine Skiing

Special Olympics Northern California’s goal is to collect approximately 1,150 scarves to provide our athletes, coaches, volunteers and supporters a symbol of handmade unity.

Please ship your scarves no later than February 25, 2011.

Deadline to receive scarves is March 4, 2011.

COLORS

Red Heart® Yarns Super Saver 886-Blue

Red Heart® Yarns Super Saver 512-Turqua

*Please incorporate both the Blue and Turqua into your scarf design.

LENGTH

54 to 60 inches long

WIDTH

6 inches wide

Please ship to:

Special Olympics Northern California

Attn: Scarf Project

3480 Buskirk Ave #340

Pleasant Hill, CA 94523

Special Olympics Northern California Scarf Project 2011 asks that you follow the following guidelines to help maintain consistency and uniformity.

Special Instructions:

•Please place each scarf in an individual Ziploc bag for sanitary reasons.

•Multiple scarves may then be shipped in the same box.

•Please send via UPS, FedEx or United States Postal Service (USPS) to the address specified above.

•Please include one 3x5 card with your name and mailing address clearly legible.

•You may also include your email address if you would like to receive updates via email.

•You are welcome to include a note of well wishes in the box with your scarf. However, due to privacy regulations, please do not include any contact information on the note and do not enclose inside the Ziploc bag with your scarf. For efficiency in receiving, please do not enclose the note in the Ziploc bag with the scarf, but place it separate in the box.

You may knit or crochet your scarf, and any pattern is welcome! Be creative and have fun with this project! Share your patterns with your fellow knitters and crocheters on their Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Scarves-For-Special-Olympics/311814935551

Wait, so now according to the website, I have to pick a state program? I can't just send to one national address?

Sort of annoying, because the state I live in isn't listed, the state I'm from isn't listed... I guess I have to just randomly pick a state.

They're making this an awful big pain in the butt, considering we're volunteering.

ETA: I flipped through a few, and finally picked Mississippi. (My sister lives there.) They're looking for 1200 scarves, but only have bowling and basketball teams! Maybe they need them for fundraising? Oh, well. Either way it will help them out, which is fine with me.

Was getting a script at Wal-Mart today, what better thing to do than crochet while I heat my shoulder than to crocher. After reading all the posts that Turqua was hard to find I bought a skein, decided I must have the other color in my stash at home, couldn't remember what the other color was anyway. Got home and you can guess the rest, I didn't have it so will pick it up tomorrow. Lorraine, your scarf was beautiful!!! Hope mine turns out that nice!! Charlene

oh thats very warm looking, very nice! My question is what happened to the red and white scarves we sent to Vanessa, as Washington is now asking for the blue and turg. too???? I swear, this was a very confusing issue.

I have delivered all the scarves I received to the SO organization. Yes, it was confusing because they decided to start up the national campaign so late in the year. I am no longer the contact, so please direct any more questions to the contact listed on their website. Thank-you.

WAH! My first scarf is NOT WORKING! I sc'd the whole thing in Blue, planning to embroider on it with the Turqua, but it's a race whether I'll get to 54 inches before the skein runs out. If the Blue does run out, then I've got a whole skein of Tuqua that'll go to waste, unless I go buy another skein of Blue (which I don't have the money for). Instead of getting four scarves out of these two skeins, I'm going to end up with just ONE!

I know the answer is to give up the embroidery idea, no matter how cool I thought it would be, and frog the blue scarf, and start over doing stripes or something, but I just can't make myself do it. It's taken FOREVER to get to the 43 inches I'm currently at!!

What should I do??

I just pledged 25 scarves. This will be my first time. I heard about this a couple of years ago (maybe last year) but came into it too late to really commit. :) Redheart yarn (I just answered the question about the worst yarn I ever used -- sorry redheart --)

If someone makes a chart for the special Olympics logo or for any of the other sayings they have suggested - I'd like to know in order to attempt it.

@propchick -- pm me and I'll send you a skein of the blue. :) I really hate not having enough yarn - this month I actually have it in the budget to purchase yarn (did all my gifts throughout the year so No having to shop for the holidays)

this is my first time making scarves for Special Olympics. i read the guidelines and the faq's but didn't see answers to a couple of questions i have. i emailed the site but thought i'd ask here, too.

is it ok to include a loopy fringe on the scarves?

do we need to wash the scarves before we package them up?

thanks in advance for any replies.

this is my first time making scarves for Special Olympics. i read the guidelines and the faq's but didn't see answers to a couple of questions i have. i emailed the site but thought i'd ask here, too.

is it ok to include a loopy fringe on the scarves?

do we need to wash the scarves before we package them up?

thanks in advance for any replies.

I would think that loopy fringe is fine! I've looked at lots of pictures and see fringe a lot! Some of my scarves have fringe. So loopy or plain- you should be fine. If you are worried about safety - just don't make the loops too long. PM me if you want and I will research it more for you!

I'm just about finished with my third scarf. The first two were the Vintage Vertical Stripe pattern and fringed. I am very familiar with the VVS and have made several afghans with the pattern.

Then I made a rectanglar granny scarf, I am on the last round and will post a photo of my 3 finsihed scarves tomorrow.

The three scarves took exactly one skein of each color.

I bought 3 skeins of each so I can make 6 more scarves !!

thanks for the quick reply. i put a loopy fringe of about 3" on the scarf, i think it looks good and should be safe.

i have 5 done and i think i have yarn enough for one more. this has been a fun project.

i haven't posted pictures of anything in a really long time but i may try again.

I finished one! I'm almost done with the second one, and, after frogging the first attempt, have enough Blue to do two more, YAY!!!! (Amusingly enough, I worked on them while family was visiting this past weekend. They were both done at the Magic Kingdom, lol!)

My first two are 60% Turqua, 40% Blue. My second two are going to have to be more like 80% Blue, 20% Turqua. Do you think that's okay? Or do they need to be much more even?

ETA: The first two are random stripes. For the second two, I'm thinking to make them mostly Blue, with a little Turqua design at each end. (I'm running low on Turqua.)

My first two are 60% Turqua, 40% Blue. My second two are going to have to be more like 80% Blue, 20% Turqua. Do you think that's okay? Or do they need to be much more even?

I think whatever you do will be fine as long as you are using those colors :)

I decided to do 2 for Va. and 2 for NC

I'm 28 inches into the first one,its the shells and v's stitch from about.com

my only problem is I forget to switch every row,so I remedied that,I do one scarf in the shell pattern,and another one in only the v stitch pattern,works for me.

i got a reply from the special olympics to my questions about adding fringe and washing the scarves before sending them. i was pleased to get a reply.

they said to be creative - fringe was fine as long as the scarves were within the size guidelines. the scarves do not need to be washed before shipment.

I have one done for PA. Was surprised I have enough yarn leftover to make another one, I used the Rib Crocher Striped Scarf pattern from the Red Heart web site. Sounds like a good project while I'lm waiting for the turkey to cool on Thurs. Charlene

Pledged six for Northern CA. Have one finished using Crochet Me's colour waves reversible pattern, crochetme.com/media/p/94858.aspx. Working on my second...

Archived