2011 Scarves for Special Olympics

VanessaH

Nice, thank you for that explanation Daughtery. If there is time, I will also make a few in blue and turg. And I want to get your book Drew, heard only great things about it! The scarf you designed is amazing! I wanna make one, and keep it, lol Will be anxious also, to hear if my state is participating, and what colors that might be... Thank you so much Daughtery, any relation to Chris, Im a fan!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely one of the scarf patterns I'll use! :D

And here is a link to the scarf that I designed for the Special Olympics a couple of years ago. Just use the right colors and you're good to go! :woo

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85427&highlight=scarf

:bounce

And here is a link to the scarf that I designed for the Special Olympics a couple of years ago. Just use the right colors and you're good to go! :woo

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85427&highlight=scarf

:bounce

I love the look, but that's way, way beyond my beginner skills, lol. Do you think an athlete would be too disappointed to get something really basic, like large color blocks, or really wide stripes? That's about the best I could do, and I really want to help, but I don't want someone to be stuck with a "loser" scarf, you know?

Do you think an athlete would be too disappointed to get something really basic, like large color blocks, or really wide stripes? That's about the best I could do, and I really want to help, but I don't want someone to be stuck with a "loser" scarf, you know?

I know any scarf you make will be appreciated. No such thing as a "loser" scarf!

I have the Turqua, just need to find the 886 Blue and I will get started, too.

There are some Special Olympics State Programs (for example: Washington and Michigan) that have created their own individual scarf projects, which may have different colors, deadlines, etc. While these are completely separate from the Special Olympics USA Scarf Project, they support certain State Programs and therefore we encourage you to consider supporting both the Special Olympics USA Scarf Project and scarf projects from individual State Programs.

Just saw this on the National website...Vanessa, does that mean that you're still collecting for Washington State? I have two red and white scarves and would be more than happy to still send them your way!

Not colors I would choose, but maybe they'll grow on me. Sometimes things look better made then just looking at the yarn. But...I thought I read all state level would be using the USA Natl. colors this year?

I'm not seeing what you quoted. Where is it on the webpage? What I'm seeing still says under construction when you click to find individual states, AND I see a note that say stock up on the USA colors, which seems to say they'll will be the same. That's what I thought I understood from page one.??

This was on the front page of the site (at least, I assume it was the front page):

There are some Special Olympics State Programs (for example: Washington and Michigan) that have created their own individual scarf projects, which may have different colors, deadlines, etc. While these are completely separate from the Special Olympics USA Scarf Project, they support certain State Programs and therefore we encourage you to consider supporting both the Special Olympics USA Scarf Project and scarf projects from individual State Programs.

Anyone else having trouble finding the #886 Blue? I've been to Catan's, Hobby Lobby, and Jo-Ann's. All three have the Turqua (which I thought would be hard to find) but no Blue. Reminds me of a few years ago when Delft Blue was the hard-to-find color. Anybody been to Michael's yet?

I think I saw on their website a way to check for whom had the colors needed. I don't know why they need to make this so difficult. Our Michael's here has cut back drastically with yarn, we have so many specialty shops; I don't think they sell much anymore. How bout ordering i ton line?

The blue was the hardest for me to find, which I thought was odd. I checked Michael's (neither color), Hobby Lobby (only Turqua) and Wal-Mart (both colors) before I found it. I'm working on a scarf but had to put it on hold for a week or so to make a lapghan.

The blue was the hardest for me to find, which I thought was odd. I checked Michael's (neither color), Hobby Lobby (only Turqua) and Wal-Mart (both colors) before I found it. I'm working on a scarf but had to put it on hold for a week or so to make a lapghan.

Me too! The craft stores had the Turqua & different "shades" of blue, but no blue. I found it at Walmart.

I got the wrong color of blue.....:( I was so excited they had the Turqua that I just grabbed the blue....wrong color but close....#385

I had trouble finding the blue, too. It didn't help that all the other blues were "something blue". Everytime I asked someone at the store, they acted like I was an idiot for not knowing the "real" name.

I found and bought mine at WalMart, too!

Went stash diving in my tubs (oh the sacrifice of looking through and petting all the yarns stashed away :D) and found 3 skeins of RH 886 Blue! If anyone needs the blue for the Special Olympics scarf and cannot get it, let me know and I'll get it to you for SO scarf purposes.

Blessings,

Lisa

My yarn arrived today. 3 skeins of each color- I ordered it directly from Red Heart to save myself the disappointment of not being able to find it. I figure the shipping cost was less than the gas money I would have spent.

First scarf is on the hook! I am using the Vintage Vertical Stripe pattern alternating the two colors. In the VVS you dc between the stitiches so it works up fast!

I didn't count the starting chain, just measured because this pattern stretches the starting chain.

If anyone has any questions about the VVS, pm me and I will be happy to help. I will post pics tomorrow.

Archived