2011 Scarves for Special Olympics

VanessaH

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scarves that have been sent have been delivered to the WA Special Olympics and will be used in their 2011 Winter Games. All info. for the new national campaign is supposed to be announced in October on their website that I previously posted. I have not been privy to any other information and won't be involved in the new campaign, so unfortunately, I will be unable to answer any further questions. Please see the website for the national campaign for any questions regarding Scarves for Special Olympics.

sorry to be so confused, but am i correct in thinking that we are still waiting for the current correct color and due date information? i read through the blog, and it seems that way to me. Please let me know if i am wrong.

thank you.

yes, it will be posted vanessa said, in oct.

I also want to help with this project. Will be following updates here and at the blog.

I did too, but they've changed their annoucement date so many times, it's getting frustrating. Pick a color already, getting tired of checking back and having them say oh we're still not ready....so many good charities, I think I'll just keep knitting and crocheting

For those who didn't get the email, this year's official colors are Red Heart 886-Blue and Red Heart 512-Turqua.

There was basically no other information given, except that the website is under construction, adding all of the new information. They did say that individual state scarf projects may have different colors. (Thanks for the confusion!)

As a newbie on this, can I ask those who have done it before if we actually have to use the Red Heart yarn, or can we find a very close match from a different brand? Is there going to be a specific pattern, or do we just make what we want?

Unbelievable after all this, they still aren't provided adequate information. Past experience I would say yes you do need the exact colors. I'll have to look and see what Turqua is. I think I'll move along to the charities that seem to know what they want. Sorry for sounding snarky, but enough waiting. There are so many deserving charities needing our help and this is only one is what I'm trying to say

In the past you've been able to make what ever pattern you wanted.

Sorry, I should clarify that Blue/Turqa are 2011's colors, not this year's. Yes, I totally agree, there should be much better information.

I don't blame anybody for deciding to devote their time elsewhere, but I do beg you to consider giving the Special Olympics a second chance. I volunteered in high school, and there was a lack of organization then, too, but the work I did myself, with the individual athletes (many of whom were friends of mine), was totally worth it. As frustrated as I am with whoever is in charge of getting out the information, I keep reminding myself that the athletes have no control over it, and would still love to know that people support them. (Honestly don't mean that in an angry or lecture-y way -- it's what I've been telling myself since I got that annoying, confusing, ridiculous email this morning.)

ETA: In case anybody's as clueless as I am, the two yarns choosen are Red Heart SuperSaver colors.

I don't disagree with you, have supported them several times previously but this year just isn't getting a good vib.

There are so many homeless people who really might not live through the winter without some warm items, and or babies in the same boat, that for now I think that will be my priority.

I was just at the official site at Facebook for the scarves. the colors are for the Special Olympics for 2011...but these are the scarves that need to be made. The 2010 Special Olympics scarves are not being accepted. Yes the colors are blue and turqua for the scarves they are accepting for the Special Olympics that are coming up next.

here is a link

http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=quick&q=Speical%20Olympics%20scarf%20project&ref=ts#!/pages/Scarves-For-Special-Olympics/311814935551?ref=ts

hope this helps those who are wondering

And while they were unable to make a simple decision about what colors they liked or didn't, what colors they FINALLY choose for this year, what did they do the scarves made and previously sent to them?? Does anyone know. I am sorry, I know this is suppose to be charity, but I'm sorta disgusted with their continual postponement and putting people off when so many people are truly in need. We knitters and crocheters have such big hearts and want to help, it's really frustrating.

It's beyond ridiculous that they didn't realize that the website should be finished BEFORE the big announcement. On several different websites people are saying the same thing as you are, schcrochet, and turning their time and effort to other charities. What a shame, when so many people were so eager to help that they were begging for information, and there was still not one person with the organization who could take five minutes to present the details clearly.

The athletes deserve so much better than this! They're all training very hard, taking this seriously, and the volunteers seem to be treating it like it's nothing.

I'm going to try looking up my state organization's contact info, instead. At least on the local level I can physically drive my donations over to someone, and be sure they've gotten them.

And that's true, the participants deserve our respect and support, I will continue my commitment to those who have no roof over their heads, and then maybe can make some for these folks. But, I do believe I will forward a letter..the slow snail mail kind not email, to let them know someone really let down those that participate. They wanted a splash about people buying Red Heart # blah blah blah, more then they wanted people to support those involved. And that's in my book rather un-tasty an despectibale. Shame on Red Heart

I think you're absolutely right, schcrochet. The whole thing has the stink of Coats & Clark's marketing department all over it. "We have no details, and these might not even be the colors you need, but HEY, EVERYBODY GO BUY THESE TWO COLORS RIGHT NOW!!!!"

Maybe there's some kind of donation-per-each-skein-sold deal going on behind the scenes, so Special Olympics is stuck hawking ugly poopy yarn, instead of concentrating on its real mission?

Okay having done this before let me see if I can clarify. The campaign for the red and gray scarves was for 2010. The campaign for the blue and turqua scarves is for 2011 The reason that Vanessa was asking for Cherry Red and White is that those scarves were for the state of Washington games. Each state has their own special olympics. Some states do the same colors as the National olympics some do different colors. Some have the same deadline, some have different deadlines. The reason for the Red Heart colors is they are a sponsor of the Special Olympics and this way each athlete that goes to the National Games feels a unity of spirit with each other athlete there. Just like for the regular olympics you have competitions that are done in each state and country and then you have the main olympics. The special olympics has local and regional games, they have state games and the national games. Please do not give up on these children. The colors for the national games are Red Heart blue - 886 and Red Heart Turqua - 512 Once all the states have all the info submitted then there will be a list of state addresses with deadlines and colors for the states. Until now just start making scarves in any pattern in those colors in a size of approximately 5 inches by 52 inches to 60 inches. Hold onto them until you have the address and then send them.

I think you're absolutely right, schcrochet. The whole thing has the stink of Coats & Clark's marketing department all over it. "We have no details, and these might not even be the colors you need, but HEY, EVERYBODY GO BUY THESE TWO COLORS RIGHT NOW!!!!"

Maybe there's some kind of donation-per-each-skein-sold deal going on behind the scenes, so Special Olympics is stuck hawking ugly poopy yarn, instead of concentrating on its real mission?

Thank you for the clarification! :yes

Okay having done this before let me see if I can clarify. The campaign for the red and gray scarves was for 2010. The campaign for the blue and turqua scarves is for 2011 The reason that Vanessa was asking for Cherry Red and White is that those scarves were for the state of Washington games. Each state has their own special olympics. Some states do the same colors as the National olympics some do different colors. Some have the same deadline, some have different deadlines. The reason for the Red Heart colors is they are a sponsor of the Special Olympics and this way each athlete that goes to the National Games feels a unity of spirit with each other athlete there. Just like for the regular olympics you have competitions that are done in each state and country and then you have the main olympics. The special olympics has local and regional games, they have state games and the national games. Please do not give up on these children. The colors for the national games are Red Heart blue - 886 and Red Heart Turqua - 512 Once all the states have all the info submitted then there will be a list of state addresses with deadlines and colors for the states. Until now just start making scarves in any pattern in those colors in a size of approximately 5 inches by 52 inches to 60 inches. Hold onto them until you have the address and then send them.

Archived