Tapestry Crochet

philosgal

I am completely new to tapestry crochet and I have never tried it. Can anyone please give me basic guidelines to tapestry crochet? I also want to know that if I make a bag with this pattern, is it done in rounds?

Ive never done it but did a google search and found this site - hope this helps!

http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/

Oh I have seen it. Seems like she is the only person who has a proper tapestry crochet bolg. But like I said I am just a little confused about it still. Guess I am gonna have to try a pattern to understand it.

Carol Ventura is a lovely lady and THE expert on Tapestry crochet.

I have tried it and it is easier than you would first think. Basically it is just dc (US - sc) but worked with more than one colour to create a pattern. The unused colours are worked over to give a firm fabric.

Go ahead and try it.

You can do tapestry flat as well. She (Carol Ventura) has a video showing how to do it and keep the color change edges tidy on one side. If you work flat you don't need the special graph paper.

Tapestry stitch is just sc, but working over the unused yarn - like you would work over an yarn end to 'weave it in'.

That is a bit more complicated!

Because of the way tapestry crochet is worked, the front of the stitches need to be facing the front all the time. when you work in flat rows you have to go back and fore. So there is a slightly different way of doing it.

Best you learn from Carol.

You CAN work tapestry flat WITHOUT keeping the same side facing you at all times. (It just looks better if you DO keep the same side facing you). 99% of folks doing crochet colorwork turn their work (I'll bet).

If you use regular sc, leaving floats on the back side, and turn your work, the point where you change your colors isn't crisp (like, say, fair isle knitting). Tapestry is exactly the same (because it IS single crochet). If the jagged edges don't bother you, then the only difference is whether you are single crocheting over the unused color or not.

When you crochet (any stitch) and turn, the stitches don't sit exactly on top of each other. They sit sort of like bricks. Row 1 and three are lined up with each other, as ar 2 and 4, but there is a little 'jog' between 1 & 2. This is the reason that you can use regular graph paper, because the stitches line up in the overall scheme of things.

When you work in the round (tapestry or not), the stitches don't line up, the offset jog continues in a spiral around the work. This is why you need to use the special spiral-y graph paper when doing colorwork in the round.

Archived