Quitting for Crochet

Hi...my name is tmpinsnty and i am a smoker....

i've been kicking the notion of quitting for sometime now...but i guess i need some positive feedback for myself...i, like most smokers, actually enjoy it i am willing to pay outrageous prices for my addiction...

then today after buying 2 packs of cigarettes for $10 i saw this bill board as i was driving through OKC... "I will quit when cigarettes are $___ a pack"

that got me thinking...how much yarn could i have bought with the $10 i just spent on cigarettes? i spend around $70 a week on cigarettes. like a bolt of lightening i had my positive reinforcement...yarn or other crochet materials...

so as of thursday april 8th i am going to quit smoking! the money i don't spend on cigarettes will go into a "fund" that i can use for my new healthier addiction of crochet!!

now why i have posted this...i was wondering if anyone wanted to quit a similar unhealthy habit? wanna for a support group...maybe even get a CAL going where we can show off what we bought instead and then what we made?

i set april 8th as my quit date because i get paid on thursdays that way i can get the patch and some gum...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you the best of luck! Hubby quit a few years ago finally after 25 plus years of smoking. You can do it! Might take a few weeks, maybe a month but you will start to feel better. Just hang in there...:cheer

I dont post here often I'm more of a lurker. But I quit a 30 a day habit last November and I just wanted to offer some encouragement. You have an advantage over non crocheters in that you already have something to do with your hands. My friend smokes and I can really smell it on her. To think that I used to go outside and smoke and come in smelling like that, and then pick up my hook and yarn...bleugh!

You CAN do this!!!!

I know I seen it somewhere, but can't find it, but there was one woman who every time she wanted a cigarette she crocheted a granny square, by the time she was done she had one big enough for her king size bed! i keep trying to get my friend to do this but she hasn't taken the plunge yet! GOOD LUCK!!!

You have come to the right place to find encouragement in quitting smoking. We will help you and be there for you. Back in the 70s and early 80s I was what I considered to be a "light" smoker or "social" smoker. Just smoking in a social setting or occasionally on break at work with a cup of coffee. One pack of cigarettes would last me a long time. I did begin to smoke more frequently in the early 80s as I was going through a divorce. But I also enjoy reading and crocheting. Since I had a small income at that time I finally made the decision one day it was either cigarettes or books/crochet. The books/crochet won out. I finished my pack of cigarettes and have not smoked since then. But then again I was not a everyday smoker except for that short period of time during the divorce so it was easier for me. Keep it up and keep us posted of your progress. Just keep thinking of all that pretty yarn or patterns you can buy instead. Maybe some of that expensive yarn you just never would treat yourself too. But when you quit smoking go right ahead and treat yourself. You deserve it for a job well done. Good Luck.

This is very attainable! Set your goal and go for it! Set your mind to it and do it- for you and every person you love! But mainly for you.

I smoked for 35 years and quit 10 years ago after a life threatening illness. I have not had one puff since then and do not want any.

My husband smoked for 50 years from the time he was 13 years old and quit 6 years ago on a promise to himself. He used to go outside to smoke after I quit but the smell on him was so nauseating to me when he came in that I would gag. He said "if taxes on cigarettes go up one more time I am quitting". Guess what? Taxes went up again and he has not smoked since!

Everyone reacts differently so be kind to yourself and call on us when you need support. Check your local hospital too. Our local hospital now has a FREE Stop Smoking Program and is a great help to people who want to quit.

Just think of all the lovely yarns, hooks and books you can buy! :hug

Okay, it's the eve of the BIG DAY. This is such a tremendous step and so positive. It will reverberate throughout your entire life. Better health, better skin, better sleep, pink lungs, no smelly clothes, no non-smokers avoiding kissing you (my smoker mom's grandchildren did that for a while and she refuse to believe it was because 'she's stinky'), and you have the best incentive of all--

more money for yarn!!!

I think you should start planning already what to buy with that first week's savings. Some yarn you never buy yourself because it's too rich for your budget. Now you can go for it!

Patty

When I was about 10 I took up crochet because my mom said "Find something to do with your hands besides biting your nails". :lol. :crocheting is a good way to give up bad habits. I stopped snacking while watching TV and lost some weight.

:cheer You can do it!! :cheer.

Ellie 13

So glad you made the decision to live a healthier life. I want to encourage you and let you know that you can do this. Crochet is a great way to keep your hands busy, just think of all the finished projects you can have while you are breathing easier. I'm a former smoker, I quit over twenty years ago. I developed asthma in the last 10 years and I am so glad I quit. There's nothing like a scary asthma attack to make you appreciate how much you depend on your lungs.

I won't wish you luck because all you need is willpower. I wish you lots and lots of willpower.

Good luck to you. I'm not a smoker but wish you well on your decision to lead a healthier life. At $70/week, you will have enough saved up to take a trip somewhere! Maybe that Crocherville retreat, or a start on the Alaskan crochet cruise!

yeah i thought so!

been about 24 hrs! i'm sitting in the wal-mart dc's employee lounge cause i coukdn't smoke in here...one of those change habits type things...i'm working on a scarf for a friend of mine

thanks for the encouragement! my hardest part will be while i am driving...

Take some healthy snacks--carrot sticks, celery sticks, pretzels, other fruits, etc. That will give you something to do with your hands while driving instead of smoking.

I pass that billboard every day on my way to work. I'm glad that it encouraged you quit. :clap It will be worth whatever it cost to put it up, if has inspired you to quit. It will be hard, but you can do it.

A Jimbo hook would be a great present to yourself!

Reward yourself often for not smoking. Each day/week you resist the urge or go without, get a new skein of yarn, a new hook, order a pattern online.. something that lets you know you succeeded. We're all cheering you on!

Archived