Winding Yarn

Lynn

I usually take what is left of a skein of yarn and wind it into a ball where the center pulls out. Hold the loose end with my fingers and wind around my thumb. Worked ok but if the ball was very big it was hard to wind on my thumb. I was in Hobby Lobby the other day and saw this great winding tool. Made from rosewood with this carved round handle and then went to a smaller round rosewood stick, sort of. Looks kinda like an old darning egg but much much narrower. I bought it even though it had absolutely NO instructions. Tried winding some yarn with it and it works like a dream! Balls are nice and tight but with the center loose end to pull. I LOVE this thing!

I've always wanted to try one of those, but have only seen them online.

I'll have to check Hobby Lobby next time I'm there.

It's called a "nostepinne". Thanks for the good review.

• 3 months later...

I tried using a round handled wooden spoon as a nostepinne, as I saw done on youtube. It works, but I found it a bit tricky. I recently bought a 25mm (1 inch) broomstick lace pin (like a big odd knitting needle) and I used that. It was MUCH easier. I made nice centre-pull balls with it. It is much cheaper than a wooden nostepinne and, of course, you can use it to make broomstick lace, which I am doing now :)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think it's lazy to use a paper towel roll to help because you still have to do it by hand. You're just using a simple tool to make it neater and a little more convenient for use.

Archived