Crochet and knitting

How do you hold your hook and can you knit?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold your hook and can you knit?

• Hook held overhanded (like pen) and can't knit
    • Hook held overhanded (like pen) and can knit
    • Hook held underhanded (like handle) and can't knit
    • Hook held underhanded (like handle) and can knit

Right handed.

Crochet with the pen hold. I can use the knife hold but it feels unnatural.

Knit in several "versions": English, Continental and Combination. Having said that I must put in the disclaimer that my Continental purling reeks of ugliness, which is why I learned Combo so my stockinette wouldn't look so lousy. :lol Oddly, I use Continental, both knitting and purling, for lace because lace is meant to be loose and is always blocked out to be stretched pretty hard. It looks perfectly fine there.

I crochet underhanded and I can knit...though I had a lot of help learning to knit...and I can't really do much with my knitting anymore since I can't even remember how to purl. Plus, I prefer crochet unless I'm making a straight scarf or an i-cord.

I hold my hook like a knife and pen it doesn't usually make a difference to me just depends on how I pick it up. I can knit but... not very well I make a lot of washcloths because it just takes forever to make anything I did make a baby basket weave afghan once and started another but its still sitting in a tote and Im not even sure where I put it. My DH left one day and I was just starting a washcloth well he was gone for 6 hours and came home I was still working on the same washcloth sigh.. I will stick with crochet :)

• 3 weeks later...
i use the pen/pencil hold, and i can knit. continental feels a lot more natural to me than throwing.

there are so many other differences between crochet and knitting, that I doubt if the hold style is the main factor that makes it hard to learn---jmho.

I'd agree, that the continental method feels more natural, maybe for most crocheters, than "throwing"...in continental, you use the tip of the needle to pick up the yarn, and you can hold them kind-of overhand...

I also use a pen-style hold when crocheting. I learned crochet first--first as a kid, then again in college--and several years ago I learned to knit (cast on, knit, pearl, bind off, knit-2-together) for a sweater I saw in a Coats ad, that I wanted bad enough to learn! lol After the sweater, I didn't knit again until this past winter, when I re-learned enough to make the basic scarf :lol Knitting's still slower, and not as natural feeling, but it's nice to know that I can. :) I'll always be a crochet-threadie first. ;)

you know i have no idea how to describe how i hold my hook...and i can't knit but my problem is that i cast on too tight and have not figured out how to switch needle sizes after casting on. I decided to let my sister knit and i will crochet since she can't crochet. We trade off projects...if she seees a crochet pattern she loves i pick out a knit pattern and we switch.

you know i have no idea how to describe how i hold my hook...and i can't knit but my problem is that i cast on too tight and have not figured out how to switch needle sizes after casting on. I decided to let my sister knit and i will crochet since she can't crochet. We trade off projects...if she seees a crochet pattern she loves i pick out a knit pattern and we switch.
I hold my crochet hook like holding a fork for most eating, also described as the "pen" hold. I can hold the hook like holding a knife for cutting meat but don't usually since that is not the way I learned. I don't know if that will help you distinguish between them or not. :lol

• 4 weeks later...
I hold my hook like a handle and cannot knit at all. I have a knitter friend who is desperate to teach me but I am just so awkward with 2 needles. I just don't get it. lol

Is she trying to teach you English-style knitting? I tried to learn it that way for YEARS. It kills me now, the time I wasted.

Earlier this spring, I found videos on Continental-style knitting (yarn held in left hand, just like in crochet). Wow. Now I can knit! Just like that. It's amazing what can happen when you utilize skills you *already have*! like, oh, feeding the yarn from your left hand. (Or, of course, if you crochet left-handed, feeding it from your right!)

DCM

BTW, the videos were/are at http://knittinghelp.com and they're free

I hold it overhanded like a pen, but I can knit.

I'm not great at it, and I have to really focus where I don't necessarily have to focus to crochet anymore, but I can do it.

I have to really want that knitted project to knit it myself, because I know it's going to take me way longer to knit it than it would to crochet something similar.

• 1 month later...

Archived