Oh well... Would never have thought...

mclendon1

Mom didn't have a project going so I suggested she make some baby blankets for donation.

Well she's made 3; now we can't find anywhere local to take them. We've called the hospital, & local pregnacy crisis assistance, & they "have more than they know what to do with".

Would have never thought....

Really don't have the money to mail them anywhere; I guess we'll hang on to them till a need arises.

What size should a wheel chair lap ghan be? As many nursing homes as we have around here, surely one of them will accept donations....

Here is a good link that shows blanket sizes.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html#blanket

If you're wanting to make things for nursing homes, there are some good patterns on here:

http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/2009/10/3-x-3-walker-totes.html

http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/2009/09/charity-lapghan-with-attached-pocket-c.html

Suggestions on places to take the baby blankets:

Local Domestic Violence/Rape Crisis Center

Local Homeless Shelter (they often have families with babies coming in)

Local Youth Foster Program

Local Alternative High School (some students are either currently pregnant or have babies)

Hope this help!

Suggestions on places to take the baby blankets:

Local Domestic Violence/Rape Crisis Center

Local Homeless Shelter (they often have families with babies coming in)

Local Youth Foster Program

Local Alternative High School (some students are either currently pregnant or have babies)

Hope this help!

Appreciate the suggestions; this is a small town, we don't have any of those programs. No actually, they just built a homeless shelter; it has 8 beds.

How about the any veteran's programs - grandparents wanting to gift but limited funds? Psychiatrist/psychologist offices - sometimes people need something to hold on to, or worry at while they talk out their problems.

Can also try local churches. Many people go to churches for help and they may have an idea of who could use blankets for babies.

Here is something to consider it may be a trip but try your city welfare office or your local office of state welfare or DCYF or foster care programs often these kiddos go to foster care with nothing but the clothes on their backs

• 3 weeks later...
Try Soldiers' Angels. (soldiersangels.org) they may have a group involved with "Operation Topknot" in your area. This group provides baby showers for mothers whose husbands are deployed.

I hadn't heard of this organization until today. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I have a soft spot for military as my husband is a veteran and its great to see something being done to honor the military families and help them out.

Have you donated to this charity in the past?

How about cheching for cancer treatment or dialysis units. They might not necessarily have babies, but children and adults need something to put over themselves to keep warm during their treatment. Good luck! I know you will find a place with the need.

Archived