Sunshine Babette

Miss Crochet

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is beautiful! I have been looking wistfully through MANY Babette photos and have to say I like yours best of all -- and there are some beautiful works of art in this pattern. I have debated giving one a try, but all that piecing together is holding me back. I love a good old one piece afghan to relax me. I would love all the square-making part, but then I would dread putting them together and weaving in all those ends. I think maybe I am a lazy crocheter ;)

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your very kind comments. You're all very sweet :hug We've had such a horrible, long winter - I felt like I was suffering from a lack of colour and sunshine, I really had to do something in warm, sunny colours.

This Babette was done in a yarn called Bravo Schachenmayr. It's the cheapest acrylic yarn available over here. It's soft, it's warm, it washes well - I really don't want anything else! :) (can you tell I'm not a yarn snob?)

DebraKay - please try it - it's fun, really! My hard-learned piece of advice (which will make sense when you're actually doing it) is to start every square in the corner gap. When you're finished, you can leave a long tail (a bit more than twice the length of the square itself) so when it comes to joining, all you have to do is whipstitch the square to the one next to it. The Babette is also made in panels, so you have the choice of doing all the different-sized squares in one panel (so you have a sense of accomplishment and see the blanket growing), or doing all the same sized squares together. I did the latter, because I found different sizes were good as different project types - the 4-rounds were perfect for short bus journeys, the 12-rounds were good for the train, the 6-rounds could be done while watching 'House' etc.

Archived