Hobo Bags (Using Twine, Cable Cord, or Mercerized Cotton?)

TashasMom

Question

Has any ever used Twine to make a bag,(either crochet or knitted) I have 2 spools of "Puritan Cable Cord" Size #30-215 ft.177 2/3 yds, if so would this be enough

Or if anyone uses 100 percent Mercerized cotton (sorry about writting the percent out, my button on the key board isn't working) I have seen these in some stores, but not sure what to use, they come in very fine to almost like Sport Yarn Weight

Any help would appreciated

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Yep. It'll work. Nylon twine makes nice bags. Polypropylene (I hope that's spelled right) comes in pretty colors, too, even if it's not so easy to work with. The real rough manila or jute stuff actually does work, too. It's very strong, wears well and can look neat decorated with seashells, but man, is it ever rough on the hands. (Ask me how I know this...:oops...I really should have been wearing thin rubber gloves.)

What I was using last night is Sugar n'Cream cotton I got at Wal-Mart, if that's any help. It's theoretically worsted weight, but looks more like sport to me. You can use the fine crochet thread and do delicate stuff, or hold a bunch of it together until it crochets up thicker, or whatever you want to do. The Crochet Police aren't coming after you. Have fun with it!:cheer:

"Puritan Cable Cord"...Is that a cotton cord? I made a purse out of Sugar 'n Cream cotton and liked the heft/body of the finished item. I would definitely use it or something like it again.

I also made a purse out of nylon cording and while working with it was a bit hard on my fingers, I really, really (did I say really?) liked the look, weight and durability of the resulting purse; again, a definite use-again material.

Itching to make another purse, I was just in the hardware dept yesterday thinking I might want to try a jute-like twine for a natural look; I don't know though.... At the other end of the spectrum, over at Michaels, the mercerized cotton caught my eye too, for its sheen and available colors. I'm with Becky, go with what moves you and see what you come up with!...and be sure to show us what you've done! :yes

I made a hobo like bag for a friend of a friend. I used two strands. It came out very HEAVY. Would use only one strand next time and line it. Yes hard on the hands.

I have made several using the nylon cord - it is a little tough on the hands but the outcome is worth is as it holds up VERY well, washes up like a dream if it gets dirty and holds it's shape well - good lucky with your purse!

O.K just finished reading all the reply's and printed them out for future use, now the reason I was asking this question is my DD had a bag made out of this (purchased) and I loved it, I was discussing what you people told me, and guess what! she gave me her bag, I don't have a camera so I can't show you the bag, but I am so HAPPY :)

Thanks again for all your help

Archived