Just how old are you?

I am just curious to see the age of my fellow hookers on here. :) I'm 18 and I've been crocheting since I was 16. It's funny because sometimes I will take my crochet to school with me and my friends give me funny looks. (That is, until they want me to make them something.)

So how old are you? I know that crochet (and knit, for that matter) isn't just for your 80-year-old grandmother anymore, though I'm sure some grandmas out there still enjoy it. :)

• Like 1

I'm 24 and have been crocheting for several years now. I really think that crochet and knit is catching on to a younger crowd--I occasionally substitute teach at a local junior high, and I saw an 8th grader in one of my classes carrying her knitting needles with her.

I am 33, I have been crocheting since I was about 5. My oldest daughter is a member here and she is 14 she has been doing it since she was 12. I also have 6 year old twins one knit and the other crochets They have been doing it for about a year!

I am 37 and have been crocheting for about 5 years.

Our local middle school has a knit and crochet club that meets once a week after school. I think that is so cool and wish they had it when I went there.

I reached the big 50 this year and I've been crocheting since I was 13 (that's 37 years!!?). I mostly crochet afghans, but am expanding out to toys.

I hit the big 5 0 this year too! Been crocheting every day from when my son was born, and that's now 17 straight years! I needed it as a way to relieve stress, and it certainly worked. If I don't get time to crochet, watch out! I get a bit crabby!

:manyheart

I'm 52 have been crocheting ever since my grannie was able to get my fingers to hold yarn. Not sure what age that was, and my first attempts were chains used as headbands. Showed my stuff to 35 year old receptionist at work and she indicated to me that needlework was old lady stuff! I asked how that explained I had been not only crocheting, but cross stich, embroidery and much more for so long! I'm sure shell change her tune when she gets the bag I plan on making for her next Christmas. So glad to see all the young people who are doing it. Too many people don't know what goes into making something.

I will be 53 next month and I've been crocheting since I was 10. It's only the last four or five years, though, that I've been venturing into some of the more complicated stitches and techniques. Until then I was your basic sc, hdc, dc crochetier. Being a member of Crochetville has given me the confidence to try things that would have baffled the living daylights out of me years ago! :lol

I'm 71 and proud of it! Better than the alternative!!! I've been crocheting since I was 13! I was taught to crochet in home ec class at school. We crocheted around a ladies hanky using a chain three, skip one and going around and around to make it lacie on the edge!!! I crochet anything from baby to purses christening outfits to clothing for my gr-daughters.I am making my 3 gr-daughters each 3 afghans to be given to them after they are old enough to appreciate them and not ruin them right away. They already have 2ea and they use them all the time. Keep on crocheting and especially for charity, someone needs YOU!!!!

• Like 1

I am 54 years young- and just re-learned how to crochet a year ago. I had made blankets for each of my three DD's when they were born,(very simple blankets) and in retrospect, I wish I had been crocheting all those years- sure would have helped with the stress when all three were teenagers! I think it is really neat that more and more younger people are taking up the hook (and sticks)!!!

Edit to add- I'm now 55, turning 56 in October 2011

Edited by imanurse55

I turned 35 this year and have been crocheting for 10 years. Last summer I taught my nieces 8 & 12. They still only chain and sc, but it's enough for them to make a few things. I can't wait to teach my soon to be 5 year old daughter.

I will be 59 in June and have been crocheting since the mid 70s. Up until about 1992 I mostly made granny square afghans. Not ones made up of little granny squares but one big granny square although the first afghan I did attempt was made up of little squares. I just never completed it. At the end of 1991 beginning of 1992 I began to figure out how to read a pattern and have been making all kinds of things since then. My oldest sister and my Mom taught me how to crochet. My Mom passed away in 1981 and my oldest sister in 1992. After my sister got cancer I think I knew deep in my heart that I would not have my crochet buddy much longer and I needed to learn how to read a pattern. To this day I miss my 2 crochet buddies very much. That is one of the reasons I love Crochetville. I now have a whole universe of crochet buddies.

Well right now my dear you seem to be the youngest that gave a shout out to us. I'll be turning 48 in about a week. I've been crocheting for 43yrs, my grandmother taught me when I was 5yrs young. I just taught myself how to knit 2yrs ago almost 3yrs now but I'm not exactly sure how I did it as I'm right handed but taught myself to be a southpaw knitter. It was the most comfortable way of holding the yarn & needles at the same time for me. No worries, I plan to continue until I can no longer see.

This is a great thread. I loved reading everyone's ages and stories.

I'm 36, and only started over a year ago. I'm so 'HOOKED', I love it. My daughter is 15, but also learned the same time as me. I'm still learning something new everyday, and trying to read patterns. I also am trying my hands at knitting. It seems so hard! I only just learned to cast on and the English knit stitch. Crochet is for everyone of all ages!!! YAY!