Just wondering, does anyone in here really make money selling on Etsy?

I have never sold on esty.. I have one but yet to list items.. to me it's proly like ebay, luck of the draw that someone will find your items and buy it. unless you have the one of akind item no one else is selling that someone wants..

but I will one day Attempt to list a few things and see how it gose.

I had never heard of Etsy until I joined Crochetville. I went to the site today to look around and there are some really beautiful crocheted things on there and i just wondered if people are really selling a lot on there.

I think it depends a lot on what you're selling. If you're selling a type of item that's really popular and trendy, you can probably sell a lot. However, I don't think having etsy as your sole selling venue is going to work. You have to have other methods of getting your name known and out there. Advertising in places where your target market will see your ads, participating in forums (following each forum's guidelines) where your target market hangs out, etc. Having a blog presence and getting it recognized.

There are many people who have managed to make a success out of their etsy business. However, I think there are many, many, many more for whom etsy really isn't much more than a minimal hobby income.

yea exzactly like amy said.. I use to sell my Homemade ferret hammocks on Ebay, as well as my crochet egg cat n ferret toys.. all it did was give me enough money to puchase more suplies to make another item. or mabey get take out for the family. surly was never enough to pay a biill or depend on as a income. it was mear Fun money for me to either put back into my hobby or put tward a fun activity for my family.

I agree with Amy and with Annmcc1976:

Ebay now has gotten too expensive to put stuff there,, I sure dont..

I too have a etsy account but yet to put stuff there til I start crocheting some stuff i dont see on there everyone trying to sell, then maybe i stand a chance at fun money surely not to count on it to live on.... Just fun cash so i can buy things i need etc..

hugs

I've sold clothes on ebay before and I kind of figured Etsy was similar. I'm certainly not looking to make a living or anything like that from selling online, I was just curious because I saw so many posts for dishcloths. Thanks for your all's input. Have a great week!

Honestly I make more $ off finished items than patterns. There are so many people on Etsy now that you really have to relist or list something constantly to sell alot. I've also found things for $10 or less sell the best. And right near Holidays things sell like crazy. I'm certainly not getting rich off it but it's some spending $ I can buy birthday or Christmas gifts for family.

I do pretty good on Etsy. I agree that you would probably do better if you sold finished items, but I only sell patterns. I just don't have time to take orders. I am constantly working on posting new patterns. You have to keep their interest in wanting to come back for more.

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone has a different definition of what 'doing well' is based on their expectations. Without getting into financial personals we really don't know what a persons definition is.

• 2 months later...

this is another one i'm probably too out of the loop to respond to, but here goes anyway and again (lol)

i think the problem with crafters posting on sites like etsy is that the only traffic through there are other crafters...

if your selling a crocheted scarf and the only people that see the scarf are other crocheter's, their thought is probably going to be that the scarf is very lovely but why pay you when they can do it themselves? i know that is what i end up thinking or either i wonder where i can find a pattern like that or whether or not i can design something like that.

i think you stand a better chance on ebay because it has much more variety...

This is why I sell patterns, instead of finished items. I used to sell finished items. I was crocheting 24/7, getting CTS in all my joints on both arms, and hardly making any money. Now, I make the pattern once, but keep making money. Like I said, I do pretty good. I sell several patterns a day. That's pretty good for me, since I work a full-time job, and only work on a new pattern for about an hour a night. The faster you put out new patterns, the better you do. The key is to find something that there is a market for. I do well with purses and dog clothing all year round, and during the winter I sell a lot of women's sweaters. Also, people will keep coming back to you, if they find that you write your patterns out well and there are a lot of photos in them.

Archived