March Charity Get Together 3/18-23/2010

busy-bee-lmt

Hi Lindsay,

I never understood that whole reason for different release dates in different countries. Maybe so the stars can jet around to opening nights? Also, did you know that if you buy a DVD in Europe/UK, you can't play it here? What kind of junk is that? I bought a movie 2 years ago in London and was annoyed to find that out.

My cat mats are made with 3 strands of yarn. The beds are too. When I finish the beds, I roll down the sides and stuff them with rolled up quilt batting and then just kind of stitch that in place. I have tried the big "tubbie" style, but after a few washes, the sides don't stay up. Pooh is trying out a small one in my avatar. I'd attach a better picture for you but I have spent the past 6 days trying to get a virus off of my desktop computer with no luck. Which is why my contribution to the charity blitz will be weak. I also picked up New Moon today. (It released today), so I have plenty to watch, but I am so fed up about my PC that I can't settle down. My laptop keeps me in touch, but it has no pictures, etc.

It's about 75 here today, too hot, too soon. So I might go outside and mess in the garden for awhile and sweat off this frustration!!:angry

Oh, no! I hate it when things like that happen to computers. It is sooooo frustrating. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Your cat mats sound really nice.

I've completed on preemie afghan and about half of another one so far. One is a 14 round granny square with solid sides and the second is a RR. I'll post pictures of everything at the end of the weekend.

Hope you all have a great Sunday. It's supposed to rain all day here which means it's a great day to be inside crocheting. :hook

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, Lindsay! That kind of drama is so upsetting. I hope she's okay. And I hope that this makes her see the light and that she ditches BF before he can do it again.

I got most of a preemie afghan done yesterday. Just one or two more rows and the border to go.

:blush:eek:think My opinion exactly on the BF situation but we don't hold out much hope in fact we think it could be a matter of things getting much worse before the get better!:(

But well done on the progress with your preemie blanket Linda there is always so much need for them!:)

On a happier note stress makes me clean the flat :eek (how sad is that!)and then when I run out of steam I reach for the crochet hook!:hook So I finished the set of 16 squares I was making and stitched in the ends of them too then I was kind of on a role with the stitching in ends (which was a miracle) and so I went on do do half of the 70squares from the other project I had been working on.

I stitched in the ends of 35squares and then crocheted them together into rows. All these squares I have been working on over this weekend together with a last 11 4 inch squares I made last night means I finally have my scrap wool finished. That will last about 2 days or until I finish my next non scrap wool project leaves left over wool and then it will start growing again. I think maybe I will start storing my girly colours seperate from my boyish colours and it might stop it breeding in the bags!:D

Here is what I have done so far this weekend. The piled squares have NOT had the ends sewn in but the squares in rows have and are almost ready to be finished into a blanket. The set of 16 on the right were made during the weekend so can be counted in my totals along with the 11 scrap squares I made late last night. I have now started a giant granny style baby blanket in greens as I would like to have finished more than 27 granny squares when it comes to totals time!:lol

Hi Lindsay,

I never understood that whole reason for different release dates in different countries. Maybe so the stars can jet around to opening nights? Also, did you know that if you buy a DVD in Europe/UK, you can't play it here? What kind of junk is that? I bought a movie 2 years ago in London and was annoyed to find that out.

My cat mats are made with 3 strands of yarn. The beds are too. When I finish the beds, I roll down the sides and stuff them with rolled up quilt batting and then just kind of stitch that in place. I have tried the big "tubbie" style, but after a few washes, the sides don't stay up. Pooh is trying out a small one in my avatar. I'd attach a better picture for you but I have spent the past 6 days trying to get a virus off of my desktop computer with no luck. Which is why my contribution to the charity blitz will be weak. I also picked up New Moon today. (It released today), so I have plenty to watch, but I am so fed up about my PC that I can't settle down. My laptop keeps me in touch, but it has no pictures, etc.

It's about 75 here today, too hot, too soon. So I might go outside and mess in the garden for awhile and sweat off this frustration!!:angry

That is a great idea for the cat bed idea with the tube sides! I have cut and paste your description together with your avater picture and a little sketch to put in my crochet 'busy book'!I must try one some time. :hook Yeah on the DVD front we are region 2 and you guys are region 1. Our wait is never too long but some countries seem to wait ages and ages for popular US films to become available which is a shame!

Hi again Linsay, I am waiting for a message from my cousin about what to do next about my PC, so I decided to snoop around and click on some blogs in people's siggys.

Wow people, if you haven't checked out Lindsays blog, make sure you do!

I even used some of your links to other blogs and I could spend hours doing that!

Thanks but my blog/s are pretty bland actually (And I should know as I write it!:)) Mum's craft stuff is pretty and varied to share but all I make are granny blankets and they are seriously repetitive to make and to blog about. But both my crochet and my blogging keep me busy and they might be dull but they are also harmless which is not something everyone can say about their hobbies/blogs!?:lol

This is a two fold project for me. Since I'm still recovering from my shoulder surgery, I can only crochet on my charity project after I do all the assigned physical therapy exercises and walk on the treadmill for ten minutes. Then my reward is 20-30 minutes of crochet time. I started another box stitch diagonal baby afghan because I thought the quick building diagonal would be a good incentive as well. Only problem, I'm on skein 8 of 12 of this baby yarn and I'm sure getting tired of it. This is the third Charity Weekend that I've used it. That will teach me to buy so much yarn of the same color on sale! Pulled out an alternate color and may work it in another pattern for a change up.

I am glad you are making steady progress with your shoulder Darlene. It is a good idea to reward your excercise work with some crochet time!:hook I know what you mean about buying too much of a certain yarn and then regretting it when it goes on and on...:eek And an alternative colour to work on might be an idea if you REALLY cannot stand the yarn for another moment plus eventually you will have two charity blankets to give away!:lol Just take it slow with that shoulder!:manyheart

Lindsay, your squares are marvelous and so very pretty! Anyone getting such a blanket is lucky indeed. Great work!

Physical abuse is awful, but the mental and emotional abuse that goes with it is even worse.

I've got a preemie RR about half done now and I am very pleased with it. I'm using spring colors and it looks super cheerful. :hook

Lindsay, I "accidentally" started a solid granny square last night after reading your blog and looking at a link to the "never ending blanket" theory. Then I accidentally finished it. I am new at crochet and don't have too many scraps of yarn yet, so I just used what I had. I will post a picture later. Most of the yarn I use for the cat mats and beds come from people who know what I do and pick up yarn at tag sales or thrift shops. I put the skeins in a mesh laundry bag and if they survive washing, I use them. I will send better pictures when I can get them from my PC. I don't think there is anything boring about your blog. I thought it was inspiring.

Hope your neighbor is ok.

Lindsay, your squares are marvelous and so very pretty! Anyone getting such a blanket is lucky indeed. Great work!

Physical abuse is awful, but the mental and emotional abuse that goes with it is even worse.

I've got a preemie RR about half done now and I am very pleased with it. I'm using spring colors and it looks super cheerful. :hook

I cannot wait to see a picture when we get to totals time Linda your spring coloured preemie blanket sounds lovely.:D I have found a good tutorial on how to ripple and am going to give it a try soon!:eek:D

I have not done much today in the way of crochet but hopefully I will get some work done to finishe a blanket in time for the totals...I still have two days after all!:cheer

Lindsay, I "accidentally" started a solid granny square last night after reading your blog and looking at a link to the "never ending blanket" theory. Then I accidentally finished it. I am new at crochet and don't have too many scraps of yarn yet, so I just used what I had. I will post a picture later. Most of the yarn I use for the cat mats and beds come from people who know what I do and pick up yarn at tag sales or thrift shops. I put the skeins in a mesh laundry bag and if they survive washing, I use them. I will send better pictures when I can get them from my PC. I don't think there is anything boring about your blog. I thought it was inspiring.

Hope your neighbor is ok.

I love the 'never ending blanket' method and have enjoyed playing with it since I read about it 18 months ago. I am glad you found something interesting to read on my blog and thanks I would appreciate another picture of your cat mats/beds at some point as although I think I get what you are saying I might be wrong (I often am!!!) I am sure they would be fun to make and useful for cat lovers (and the cats themselves too LOL!) :)

Hi everyone! I haven't gotten much done this weekend crochet-wise. I have a lot going on.

Lindsay - You're squares are great! You have been crocheting up a storm.

Here's the one, little thing I have gotten done for the charity CAl...a 12" square.

post-28827-135897514953_thumb.jpg

I likely won't get anything else done. It's back to work for two days then vacation. So, maybe one or two things...I dunno. :hook

Lindsay, I am going to try to attempt a picture upload from a jump drive...:think:think

post-13802-135897514984_thumb.jpg

This is one of my mats and a bed before I rolled down the sides. I have a finished one here, so as soon as I can figure out how to download new pics to my laptop, I'll show you that. As you can see, I use every bit of yarn. I just knot the ends because the cats don't care. They are washed so much that the knots tighten up and stay put, so no worries there. I don't know many crocheters in real life, so almost everything I learn is on line. I'm sure knots are not popular with most crocheters.

I guess I'd better go get something done. It's back to work for me in the am. (booo) :(

post-13802-135897514977_thumb.jpg

I always use a square knot when I change colors in my crochet work. I find the disappear into the piece and aren't noticeable most of the time.

I finished the preemie RR and got another one done using the reverse color scheme this afternoon/evening. I've got three preemie pieces done now. That feels good.

Nicole, your square is lovely.

Hi everyone! I haven't gotten much done this weekend crochet-wise. I have a lot going on.

Lindsay - You're squares are great! You have been crocheting up a storm.

Here's the one, little thing I have gotten done for the charity CAl...a 12" square.

[ATTACH]18245[/ATTACH]

I likely won't get anything else done. It's back to work for two days then vacation. So, maybe one or two things...I dunno. :hook

That is a very pretty square for your CAL. Sometimes you just don't have the time you thought you would have during a weekend for craft work. I have suprised myself this weekend and managed to get more done than I expected. Today I got the both the lap sized blankets assembled and now if I can manage to get them edged tomorrow I will have them both finished which would be nice!:cheer

Lindsay, I am going to try to attempt a picture upload from a jump drive...:think:think

[ATTACH]18250[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]18251[/ATTACH]

This is one of my mats and a bed before I rolled down the sides. I have a finished one here, so as soon as I can figure out how to download new pics to my laptop, I'll show you that. As you can see, I use every bit of yarn. I just knot the ends because the cats don't care. They are washed so much that the knots tighten up and stay put, so no worries there. I don't know many crocheters in real life, so almost everything I learn is on line. I'm sure knots are not popular with most crocheters.

I guess I'd better go get something done. It's back to work for me in the am. (booo) :(

Those look great! Thanks for showing me the pictures I appreciate it especially since you have had so much computer trouble this weekend!:( It is great way of using up scrap wool and I could do with a change as I am getting a bit tired of making blankets all the time and then making MORE blankets with my scrap wool too! :eek I could do with a bit more variety with my crocheting!:hook

I always use a square knot when I change colors in my crochet work. I find the disappear into the piece and aren't noticeable most of the time.

I finished the preemie RR and got another one done using the reverse color scheme this afternoon/evening. I've got three preemie pieces done now. That feels good.

Nicole, your square is lovely.

Linda well done on getting three preemie blankets done!:clap I use knots when I am changing colours too but I leave an end in both colours so that I can sew/weave the wool in to hide it!:lol

Linda well done on getting three preemie blankets done!:clap I use knots when I am changing colours too but I leave an end in both colours so that I can sew/weave the wool in to hide it!:lol

I leave tails and weave them in, too. I've managed to get most of another preemie round ripple done so far today. I should be able to get it done before bedtime rolls around. It's another one in soft spring colors.

I leave tails and weave them in, too. I've managed to get most of another preemie round ripple done so far today. I should be able to get it done before bedtime rolls around. It's another one in soft spring colors.

Well done on getting another blanket almost finished!:cheer I think we have done pretty well this weekend considering there were only a few of us able to take part!:D

It is 6.30pm my time and I am finished with my crocheting for the charity weekend! :hookI managed to get both blankets finished!!!:clap

That makes my totals:

2 - 40x55inch lap sized blankets (ends sewn in, assembled & bordered)

16 - six inch granny squares (for a blanket)

11 - four inch granny squares (the start of my next scrap blanket)

Here is a picture of what I finished! Sorry the blankets have not been pressed out yet and the light was starting to fade when I got my camera out!:eek

Thanks for hosting Linda!:) It was lovely chatting to you and eveyone else on the thread this weekend!:manyheart I enjoyed myself and I will stop in at the end of the week to admire everyone else's finished work and see the totals!:D

Lindsay, your blankets and squares are gorgeous! Thanks for joining us. I enjoyed getting to know you a bit better. :hug I'm now on preemie blanket #5 and should be able to get it done before bedtime tonight. I took a break to work on a thread project this morning, but I'm back at it this afternoon.

Hello,

Well, between work and trying to fix my computer (no luck yet) Here is my weak contribution:

1 Cat Mat

12 Cat Toys

1 Square (to try the Lindsay method of blanket making)

I don't have the ability to post any new pictures yet. Sorry! I sure hope I can do better in April. Thanks!! Can't wait to see those preemie blankets!!

Hello,

Well, between work and trying to fix my computer (no luck yet) Here is my weak contribution:

1 Cat Mat

12 Cat Toys

1 Square (to try the Lindsay method of blanket making)

I don't have the ability to post any new pictures yet. Sorry! I sure hope I can do better in April. Thanks!! Can't wait to see those preemie blankets!!

Sounds like you got a lot done. Great job!

I got 5 preemie afghans done, one granny square one and 4 RRs.

While I didn't get anything finished I did more than I thought I would be able to. On the diagonal box stitch baby afghan, the two sides are 25" and I got a granny square baby afghan to just under 12" that is a mixture of blue and white fine baby yarn. Next month I'm going to try and do something in worsted weight.

Yeah, gang! We did awesome work this weekend for charity! We may have been small in numbers but we rocked! :clap :clap :clap

Totals:

1 12" square

2 40"x55" lap blankets assembled

16 6" squares

11 4" squares

1 cat mat

12 cat toys

1 square ( size unknown)

1 diagonal baby afghan to 25"

1 granny square baby afghan to 12"

5 preemie afghans

Thanks to everyone who participated. It was a great group. I'll get pictures taken later today of the preemie afghans and get them posted for you to see. :hug

Okay, here are the photos of the 5 preemie afghans I did this weekend. Can you tell that I am so ready for spring to get here? :lol :lol :lol

post-9295-13589751637_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897516374_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897516377_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897516381_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897516384_thumb.jpg

Archived