Twinkle, Twinkle... Baby 18" Doll

darski

5 hours ago, DarcySabol said:

I know there haven’t been any comments in awhile but I am working on this and have come to the hat portion of the back panel.  When I get to row 6, I’m about 4 stitches short.  When doing the math of this project, it doesn’t work.  Maybe I’m not understanding it quite right.  Could you verify that the directions are correct?

I'm afraid I can't really comment on the numbers.  basically on that "point" you want to keep your sides straight but build in some room for the baby's head to fit... if you work to that plan you won't need the numbers.

I know that about a 1,000 people have made this pattern so it must be close enough.  I barely remember making this pattern so I'm not up to answering questions after all these years.  :ghug

• 7 months later...

I'm so confused on row 6 for the pentagon lol I've double checked row 5 many time and it's not allowing for 12 dc like row 6 says it is........ Unless I'm no longer supposed to skip a space when I do the single crochet between each side? What did I do wrong lol 

6 hours ago, Hawley88 said:

I'm so confused on row 6 for the pentagon lol I've double checked row 5 many time and it's not allowing for 12 dc like row 6 says it is........ Unless I'm no longer supposed to skip a space when I do the single crochet between each side? What did I do wrong lol 

I believe there is a typo - it says 2 dc in next 2 but it should just say 2dc in next.

• Donna changed the title to Twinkle, Twinkle... Baby 18" Doll
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2010 at 11:47 AM, darski said:

:ty for your kind words. I do think this would be easy to adapt for a real baby. Once you know the technique, size isn't important.

Says to work 2 rows evenly across edge what do I do please let me know ty

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2010 at 3:05 PM, darski said:

Twinkle, Twinkle Baby 18” doll :pinterest

post-4896-135897511302_thumb.jpg

the PDF is Here:Twinkle.pdf

I came up with this star bunting after seeing a knit version at Lion Brand so this is a directly inspired design. They have a crochet version but I have no idea what it is like because they don’t have a picture of it.

With yellow WW yarn and a 5mm hook

Pentagons: make 2
post-4896-13589751132_thumb.jpg

Row 1: ch 3, 9 hdc in 3rd ch from hook. (10 dc)

Row 2: ch 4. *2 dc in next 2 dc, ch 1* repeat to last dc, 2dc in last dc, dc in beginning st. join to 3rd ch of 4. (20 dc, 5ch 1 sp)

NOTE: Each row from here on begins with that ch 4 and working each of the five segments of the pentagon. Ea. Segment ends with another dc in the beginning st… just so you know :wlol

Row 3: Ch 4, 2dc in next dc, dc in next 2 dc, 2dc in next dc, ch 1* repeat to end allowing for pattern notes.

Row 4: ch 4, 2dc in next dc, dc in next, 2 dc in next 2, dc in next, 2dc in next, ch 1* repeat to end allowing for pattern notes.

Row 5: ch 4, * 2dc in next dc, dc in next 2, 2dc in next, dc in 2, 2dc in next, dc in 2, 2dc in next dc, ch 1* repeat to end allowing for pattern notes.

Row 6: ch 4, * 2dc in next, dc in 12, 2dc in next 2, ch 1* repeat to end allowing for pattern notes.

Row 7: ch 4, * 2dc in next, dc in 14, 2dc in next 2, ch 1* repeat to end allowing for pattern notes.

Row 8: ch 4, * 2dc in next, dc in 16, 2dc in next 2, ch 1* repeat to end allowing for pattern notes.
Break off and tidy all ends.

Mark your 2 pentagonal shapes as…

• Front upper
  • Back

Working the back pentagon…

post-4896-135897511324_thumb.jpg

Lay the pent with a flat side at the top and put a marker there just to keep yourself oriented.
On each of the 4 sides ( not the marked side) work as follows..

Work 2 rows evenly across the edge.
Work one decrease on each side until you have 4 sts. … dc in 1st, dc dec, dc in last break off.

Repeat this for the other 3 non- marked edges.

The marked edge…hat portion

Att yarn in end st.
Row 1: [Dc in 3, 2 dc in next, ] twice, dc in 4, [2dc in next, dc in 3] twice

Row 2: dc evenly across

Row3-5, dc in 1st, dc dec in next, dc to last 3 sts, dc dec, dc in last.

Row 6: dc in 1st, dc dec in next, dc in 3, dc dec, dc in 4, dc dec, dc in 3, dc dec, dc in last.

Row 7: dc in 1st, dc dec, dc in 3, dc dec twice, dc in 3, dc dec, dc in last

Row 8 – 11: continue as with other points.

The front Pentagon...

Mark your upper flat edge just to keep yourself oriented properly.

Work the two lower edges and the edge immediately to the right (as viewed) of your marked edge as you did the same points on the back pentagon.

The open edge…

Work 2 rows of dc evenly. Break off and tidy all ends. (22 dc per row)

The sleeve…

Chain 24…
Row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook and each ch across (22dc)

Work the remaining rows as you did for the other ‘points’.

The hat section…

Ch 30..

Row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook and each ch across (28 dc)

Row 2: dc evenly across (28 dc)

Row 3: dc in 1st dc, dc dec in next, dc to last 3 sts, dc dec , dc in last (26 dc)

Row 4-6: work as row 3 with on extra dec in the middle.

Row 7: work as row 3 but make 2 dec in the middle.

Row 8: work as row 4.

Continue as for other points. Break off and tidy all ends.

Stitching the parts together…

post-4896-135897511331_thumb.jpg

Notes:

I want to be able to put an edging row on the ‘hat’ portion so I am going to begin joining at the right side (as viewed) edge of the hat so that I will end up at that point.

I’m using sc for the edging because I want the emphasis that it provides.

For each point.. work 3 hdc in the centre dcs to form a nice point.

so…

Align the hat piece to the hat point of the back and join the edges with sc…

Align the loose arm piece with the adjoining back portion and join with sc.

Continue by adding the front portion and working around the other points joining all with sc as established.

When you get back to the start, turn your suit so that you can work a Crab st. across the ‘hat’ edge.

Crab st or reverse single crochet instructions can be found on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DPQw2Dykg

Add buttons to the opening edge. I did not make buttonholes as the dc fabric allowed my buttons to go through naturally.
post-4896-135897511336_thumb.jpg

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2010

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2010 at 5:31 PM, darski said:

I just wanted to add that a friend of mine made one of these for a really baby and it was so cute. she used a minty green baby yarn doubled. Will try to get a pic when the baby wears it.

It does work for a real baby and not just my adorable little guy.

Do you have to alter the pattern for a real baby? I have 3 new greats this year and would love to make one for each of them.

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2010 at 6:31 PM, darski said:

I just wanted to add that a friend of mine made one of these for a really baby and it was so cute. she used a minty green baby yarn doubled. Will try to get a pic when the baby wears it.

It does work for a real baby and not just my adorable little guy.

• 4 months later...
On 3/10/2010 at 10:14 PM, darski said:

I will stop by occasionally to see if there are problems or concerns about the pattern. I always worry about how things get said in patterns. :?

Hallo, my name is Raquelle from South Africa. I'm new on the group. I just want to know how much wool was used for the Twinkle Twinkle star blanket. And is it for a new born baby? Thank you

Hi Racquelle, welcome to the 'ville!  I'm not the designer, but the title of the pattern says it is for an 18" baby doll, so a bit too small for most newborns.  I would guess (if you are brave) you could make the initial pentagon a few rounds bigger, as well as other bits.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2010 at 12:14 PM, darski said:

I will stop by occasionally to see if there are problems or concerns about the pattern. I always worry about how things get said in patterns. :?

How can I get the whole pattern together and printed off!  I have a hard time making sense of it online 🙈🙈