Comforghans/Afghans for our beloved Veterans!

Barreira

Thank you for your cheer! And thank you for what you've done for our country, it is very greatly appreciated!!!!! :D

:yayway to go speaking as a disabled vet i think what you are doing is great

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread before now! What a wonderful idea! As a Marine veteran myself, who's married to a retired Marine and the mother of two active-duty soldiers may I just say "count me in"!!!! :hook

I got a whopping 5 more afghans recieved in the mail today from Ms. Karin again! They are beautiful!!! As usual! Two stood out to me though. One was Navy colors, as my husband is a Corpsman in the Navy. And the other was worked in a yarn I have that is very complicated to work with in crocheting and I have know idea how they accomplished an afghan out of it, but it turned out great! Thank you to Karin and her group! I will post pics later when hubby takes pics for me as you all know I am electronic illiterate...lol. Can't wait to post the work you will all love it!!

Well thanks for joining up!!! We need as many afghans as we can get, because if we get our 40 the home we're giving them to is going to send the extras to another home in need. And thank you, your husband and your two children for your service to our country, I really appreciate what you've done for us!!! :clap

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread before now! What a wonderful idea! As a Marine veteran myself, who's married to a retired Marine and the mother of two active-duty soldiers may I just say "count me in"!!!! :hook

Having lived on "both sides of the coin"...let me say that being a military wife is just as hard as being on active-duty. :yes So that being said...."Thank you too"! :yay

Well thanks for joining up!!! We need as many afghans as we can get, because if we get our 40 the home we're giving them to is going to send the extras to another home in need. And thank you, your husband and your two children for your service to our country, I really appreciate what you've done for us!!! :clap

[attach]20688[/attach]

[attach]20689[/attach]

[attach]20690[/attach]

[attach]20691[/attach]

[attach]20692[/attach]

post-8490-135897530796_thumb.jpg

post-8490-135897531108_thumb.jpg

post-8490-13589753111_thumb.jpg

post-8490-135897531112_thumb.jpg

post-8490-135897531113_thumb.jpg

Thank you for helping out Holly, I anxious to see yours when your finished with it! :crocheting I updated my total on my signature actually before I posted the pics. So it's still at 19 and enough squares for 2 more. So I'll have 21 once I finish my current afghan for a wedding, and sew the blocks together. It's so nice to have great, generous people like all of you out there to help me! :D Thanks everyone sooooo much! Keep up the good work! :cheer

The pictures are beautiful! :yes How many is that now? I've started working on one that I can take on the road with me this week.

Well, I finished the first strip for a mile-a-minute afghan last night. It ended up being 71" long & 5" wide. So, I figure I'll make at least 7 strips. That should make it around 35" wide, plus I'll add a border around the whole afghan. I'll see how it looks when I put it together...I may add another strip. I'm going to take my yarn on the road with me tomorrow, when my husband & I head for Missouri. We're going to Fort Leonard Wood to watch our youngest graduate from Basic Training.

I've started another afghan, too. This one's with 2-strands of yarn & made with an "N" hook. It's working up fast, but it's all one piece so it's hard to carry around.

Fort Leonardwood, huh. I'm originally from MO! We lived in a town called Farmington which is about 2 1/2 hours east of Fort Leonardwood. Beautiful area. Have fun and congrats on the graduate!

Well, I finished the first strip for a mile-a-minute afghan last night. It ended up being 71" long & 5" wide. So, I figure I'll make at least 7 strips. That should make it around 35" wide, plus I'll add a border around the whole afghan. I'll see how it looks when I put it together...I may add another strip. I'm going to take my yarn on the road with me tomorrow, when my husband & I head for Missouri. We're going to Fort Leonard Wood to watch our youngest graduate from Basic Training.

I've started another afghan, too. This one's with 2-strands of yarn & made with an "N" hook. It's working up fast, but it's all one piece so it's hard to carry around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Well, we made it to our daughter's graduation & had a wonderful time! We could really see some positive changes in her! She's now in Montery, CA to begin the next phase of her training. We got home this past Friday evening. I then had my surgery to repair a hernia on Monday morning. Everything went well, and I am back at home. I'm going crazy not being able to move around as much as I'd like, but I have two different Veteran's afghans to work on. :hook I hope everyone has a great weekend!

post-5445-135897534719_thumb.jpg

post-5445-135897534723_thumb.jpg

Hi Krystal,

I have five more afghans to send if you'd like them. I originally said 10 but this would bring the total sent to 14, if that's okay. I have been socking them away and didn't know how many I had completed!

Karin

Thanks Karin! I just sent you and email. Thank you so much for your generous donations!!!

Hi Krystal,

I have five more afghans to send if you'd like them. I originally said 10 but this would bring the total sent to 14, if that's okay. I have been socking them away and didn't know how many I had completed!

Karin

:graduateCongrats on the Graduate!!! Hope you heal fast from the surgery, sorry to hear about you having to have it.:ghug

Hi Everyone!

Well, we made it to our daughter's graduation & had a wonderful time! We could really see some positive changes in her! She's now in Montery, CA to begin the next phase of her training. We got home this past Friday evening. I then had my surgery to repair a hernia on Monday morning. Everything went well, and I am back at home. I'm going crazy not being able to move around as much as I'd like, but I have two different Veteran's afghans to work on. :hook I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Can you clarify which group of Veterans you're trying to help? You mentioned the war for or against like you mean the current situation; but then I wondered if these were older men from previous wars as the term Veterans Home makes me think not current? I ask because the need for the 2 groups is slightly different. Older Vets more permanent residents, newer Vets perhaps a temporary situation. Sizes for beds if bed ridden vs more mobile like in wheelchairs etc.

Thanks

:graduateCongrats on the Graduate!!! Hope you heal fast from the surgery, sorry to hear about you having to have it.:ghug

Thank you Krystal! I'm feeling much better...crocheting away!!! :hook

I finished one of my afghans last night! My husband was kind enough to test if for me while he was stretched out in the recliner, so I know it's a good length! I have today & tomorrow off, so I'm going to try to finish the second one I had started before I go back to work on Tuesday. It's a double-strand afghan, made with an "N" hook. So, it works up quickly!

These are for older vets in a permanent home. Only one that I know of is in a wheelchair and I already have a lapghan for him. They are in twin size beds and someone suggested 3x6' which is a perfect size. Or else 12" squares are good too. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, hope this helped. Thank you so much for your time!

Thanks, Krystal

Can you clarify which group of Veterans you're trying to help? You mentioned the war for or against like you mean the current situation; but then I wondered if these were older men from previous wars as the term Veterans Home makes me think not current? I ask because the need for the 2 groups is slightly different. Older Vets more permanent residents, newer Vets perhaps a temporary situation. Sizes for beds if bed ridden vs more mobile like in wheelchairs etc.

Thanks

LOL, my husband likes to test mine too. I'm getting such a large stack now. It's hard to believe there's just barely over half done. All are so beautiful. If anyone's in the area or wants to go on Veteran's Day to take them your more than welcome to come. It's in Jacksonville, NC. I just guess it's too far for everyone. But thank you one and all your soooo kind!!!

I finished one of my afghans last night! My husband was kind enough to test if for me while he was stretched out in the recliner, so I know it's a good length! I have today & tomorrow off, so I'm going to try to finish the second one I had started before I go back to work on Tuesday. It's a double-strand afghan, made with an "N" hook. So, it works up quickly!

Krystal,

I should have my second afghan done this weekend. :hook Could you please PM me with the mailing address? I would like to plan on getting them mailed out on Monday. I've started a third one in an attempt to use up my stash. I don't normally like to do granny squares, but I'm carrying it with me to work. I'm on limited duty while I'm healing, and I can work on it while I'm sitting at the computer monitoring the system. Another benefit...it keeps my hands busy so I'm not as tempted to snack! :blush

Thought I would :bumpthis thread as today is

Flag Day (in the USA)

and

the 235th Birthday of the United States Army

A great day to work on making

a bed sized afghan for a US Military Veteran!!

or a 12 inch square to help make an afghan!!

Thought I would :bumpthis thread as today is

Flag Day (in the USA)

and

the 235th Birthday of the United States Army

A great day to work on making

a bed sized afghan for a US Military Veteran!!

or a 12 inch square to help make an afghan!!

Great idea Deborah! I have two completed...just waiting on a mailing address!

Archived