Comforghans/Afghans for our beloved Veterans!

Barreira

I am one of a few crocheters/knitters that are trying to put together some twin sized afghans together for a group of veterans in our area. We live in a military town, so this is near and dear to our hearts. I have just recently found out that the amount of group of veterans in the home we're making afghans for went from 30 to 40 at the most, and she can donate any leftovers to a sister home if there's less than 40 in the home at the time. I am begging you for afghans of any kind of yarn, red heart or what not, (but remember most of the veterans will be men). Or you can do a 12x12 square, anything would be sooooo apreciated. Our deadline, I've decided with Dorthory the Veterans Home Leader, should be November 11th, Veteran's Day. Please remember whether it was a war we were for or againt, we should alway support our troops, especially the ones that have served us so long. Please find it in your heart to help. I will put a tag that says "made with love by your name just for you". Thanks you, any donations will help. Krystal just pm me with any questions or for an address.:hug

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just posted a link on my Facebook page for folks.... hope it helps and good luck!!! :cheer

I am one of a few crocheters/knitters that are trying to put together some twin sized afghans together for a group of veterans in our area. We live in a military town, so this is near and dear to our hearts. I have just recently found out that the amount of group of veterans in the home we're making afghans for went from 30 to 40 at the most, and she can donate any leftovers to a sister home if there's less than 40 in the home at the time. I am begging you for afghans of any kind of yarn, red heart or what not, (but remember most of the veterans will be men). Or you can do a 12x12 square, anything would be sooooo apreciated. Our deadline, I've decided with Dorthory the Veterans Home Leader, should be November 11th, Veteran's Day. Please remember whether it was a war we were for or againt, we should alway support our troops, especially the ones that have served us so long. Please find it in your heart to help. I will put a tag that says "made with love by your name just for you". Thanks you, any donations will help. Krystal just pm me with any questions or for an address.:hug

Put me down for at least one afghan. I am honored to help.

So, any yarn, any pattern, any masculine colors? Sorry to ask, but what are the dimensions of twin size?

I'm not going to pm for your address until I have something to send. Thanks for thinking of our Veterans. They and their families sacrifice so much for all of us. They need some warm, snuggly comfort to thank them for their unselfish service.

Are you looking for lapghan/wheelchair ghan types or bed types? 3 x 4 is an excellent wheelchair size.

Single bed is usually 3x5 (right up to the pillow) or 3x6 to cover the top of the bed. There is no overhang with a 3 foot wide ghan.

You might get a better reply if you're also looking for wheelchair ghans.

Are you looking for lapghan/wheelchair ghan types or bed types? 3 x 4 is an excellent wheelchair size.

Single bed is usually 3x5 (right up to the pillow) or 3x6 to cover the top of the bed. There is no overhang with a 3 foot wide ghan.

You might get a better reply if you're also looking for wheelchair ghans.

Fortunately right now none of the Veterans in the home we're doing this for is in a wheelchair, thank god, to my surprise. But she gets people in and out so she never knows what kind of person she'll get but she thinks someone in a wheelchair would also like to have something nice like the rest to put on their bed, and not be singled out. And I'm gonna say on the size a 3x6 since it's all men in the home, so they're probably taller. Thanks for all your questions and great thought and wonderful help, it's greatly appreciated!

I have some 9" x 7" rectangle in a shell stitch. (5) dark purple, (4) green and (3) varigated green, blue, yellow and purple, if you think you can use these I will send them to you. I will also make a blanket as long as we have until November to get it to you.

Thank you all so much for the support you've given our little group here in Camp Lejeune, NC. We are hoping to make so many Veteran's a little happier this Veteran's Day. I can't believe all the help I'm getting in just a day or two. Thank you so much, all the hard work is much appreciated by me and I'm sure by many others. Thank you, Krystal :yay

Krystal, I'm about an hour from you, over by Cherry Point; but I will be happy to make an afghan for you. I have a LOT of yarn to use up, and will get a nice afghan ready for our veterans.

Well hey neighbor, thank you so much for your help, it's all apreciated! Thank you, Krystal

I'll pm you the address

please send me your address I have a bunch of squares made and will work on more. Will probably send them this summer.

Thank you I really appreciate your donation. I willl send you my address. Thank you Krystal

Good luck with this project. It's a great way to let them know they're not forgotten.

I'm making afghans and lapghans for the wheelchair bound on one ward at my local VA. Right now they've got 42 on the ward so it will be a while to get everyone covered!

Could you please give me more details as to how our church can get involved with this afghan project? Contact person? Where we can send the finished projects? Any other questions I might think of?

I'm looking for a project for our ladies to do during the month of March. That gets done WAY before Veteran's Day, but that's okay. Please respond asap.

I tried another charitable group, and they already had too many volunteers! I don't want this to happen again!:-( Thanks! Debra Stauffer

Good luck with this project. It's a great way to let them know they're not forgotten.

I'm making afghans and lapghans for the wheelchair bound on one ward at my local VA. Right now they've got 42 on the ward so it will be a while to get everyone covered!

That's wonderful! I'm glad your doing it for them. I think it does really show them that someone cares. It breaks my heart knowing that some Veterans aren't even thanked for their services. So thank you for doing what you do! Krystal

I'm going to get a full afghan out to you...started it yesterday so it will be a few weeks. Good luck on getting more than the 40 afghans so both Veterans' Homes can be thanked. :crocheting

Thanks for all the info. I'm making a granny ripple afghan for you in the colors navy, wine and tan. I love this pattern because it goes so fast. So count me in for an entire afghan and probably another one too!!! Happy Crocheting!

I'm going to get a full afghan out to you...started it yesterday so it will be a few weeks. Good luck on getting more than the 40 afghans so both Veterans' Homes can be thanked. :crocheting

Thank you so much, your time, effort and thoughtfullness are really appreciated. Again, thank you, Krystal

Thanks for all the info. I'm making a granny ripple afghan for you in the colors navy, wine and tan. I love this pattern because it goes so fast. So count me in for an entire afghan and probably another one too!!! Happy Crocheting!

Thanks for your hard work, it sounds beautiful, it's going to make some Veteran's day (and mine too!) I was feeling so much pressure but with all you helping me the weight is being lifted off my shoulders! Thanks, Krystal

Here's some beautiful work from Melody! My first in the mail. I need to get off my butt and get pics from the ladies here and post them! I hope this helps everyone else get motivated too. It's hard to get motivated when it seems like you have all the time in the world! For some reason the colors didn't turn out right on my camera. What looks blue is actually a matching kind of purple. Thanks Melody! Krystal :cheer

post-8490-135897510367_thumb.jpg

Here's some beautiful work from Melody! My first in the mail. I need to get off my butt and get pics from the ladies here and post them! I hope this helps everyone else get motivated too. It's hard to get motivated when it seems like you have all the time in the world! For some reason the colors didn't turn out right on my camera. What looks blue is actually a matching kind of purple. Thanks Melody! Krystal :cheer

Krystal..... when do you want/need to have the squares? Since you need to put them together into afghans?

Also when do you want to have the full afghans? I figure I want to get mine done before it gets hot. Not fun to crochet a full afghan in the heat.

Thanks for doing this for our Veterans!!! :hug Deborah

Not sure how many we'll have for you, but I'm advertising it at church tomorrow. We're going to work on them from now until Veteran's Day, so I'm hoping we'll have a good dozen! I'll keep in touch and let you know as the day approaches. We're going to work on them again as a gorup in September in order to get them to you in plenty of time! Thanks for organizing this! Debra in Mt. Pleasant

I would love to help. My DAD and BIL came home all in 1 piece and I want to help. But I am new to crocheting and I am wanting to know if anyone has an easy Afghan pattern in the correct size that I could get to use. I have some of Vanna's yarn in soft blue and beige so I think I might get some chol brown to add to it. Maybe a ripple with those 3 colors? I would appreciate any ideas or help. Thanks.

Archived