Snowflake Stitch - can't find instructions anywhere!!

selvid

Question

Hi! I adore the snowflake stitch, but the only thing I can find online is someone selling the things they make. I would love to make a baby afghan with this stitch.

I found a very old thread about this on crochetville, but the star stitch someone suggested didn't look like the snowflake stitch when I tried it.

Please help!

20 answers to this question

Yes! Those are the ones! Thank you very much for your help, I will indeed get a pattern from ebay now I know the name of the afghan - I won't be able to get it right now, Mary, so you go ahead! (bills, bills bills!). Thank you much for your help! I do so love this stitch!

Ok, here are the pics for you. :)

They're posted in order, step 1 through step 5. Step 1, you have your 3 loops. Step 2 is where you hold back one loop before going through the 3 loops. You can see in Step 3 that the loop is a little loose since you're holding it back. Step 4 is where you go into that loose loop and slip stitch. You can see the completed stitch in Step 5.

Then you have one completed full stitch (what you'll get after you work the second row). And then a row of snowflake stitches.

Let me know if those help. :hook

post-5153-135897510632_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897510634_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897510636_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897510638_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897510901_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897510921_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897510933_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Mimi! I'm also doing a project - a large one granny square baby afghan for my neighbour who's having a baby. I invested in a bamboo crochet hook today, so when I manage to get the snowflake pattern, I'll have a go using the bamboo hook as I've heard nothing but praise.

Thank you everyone for your help :)

Ok, then I'll be taking pics of the stitch. :) It'll have to wait a couple of days though, no time during the week.

:yay:hug Thank you!! :hug:woo

I'm working on a big project right now, but I've already decided I'm going to make a couple scarves after this project - I need some instant gratification before I make another big project. I've got some yarn in my stash that I think would be great for a snowflake scarf. :clap

Ok, then I'll be taking pics of the stitch. :) It'll have to wait a couple of days though, no time during the week.

Thank you, Mimi!! :hug

Hmmm....Selvid's stitch instructions were removed by Admin.....if you don't mind posting pictures of the stitch in progress, that would really help. Maybe you could put it on your blog and we could just look at them there. Would that be too much trouble?

I heard my name. :)

It's been a long time since I started this afghan (now in my "in progress" pile) but I'll be happy to revisit it. I learned it before, I'm sure I can learn it again. It's a complex stitch, but it gives beautiful results. The pattern I've got has illustrations that really help with understanding the stitch. The pattern is the same as what selvid posted, except mine says a 1" loop instead of a half inch.

Btw, the pattern I'm using is available on eBay. Just search on "Candy Stripes" afghan. That's what it's called in the Vanna White binder. Here's one of the patterns on eBay.

That 'hold aside' bit is a little tricky, but what they mean is, after you have your first 3 loops, you yarn over again, but this time before you go through everything, you hold back the yarn a little bit with your left hand so it just hangs loose, like you forgot to tighten it as you drew it through the 3 loops. Then you basically sl st in that loop you created by letting it hang loose. I don't know if that makes sense. I can take a pic of the stitch in progress if needed. Just let me know. :)

Thanks, guys! I think it's the snowflake baby layette - #59. I looked on ebay but they didn't have the snowflake layette one. Grrr.

I found the following post online, so I have the foundation instructions, which I think are from that leisure arts:

[info from other site removed]

Admin Note: Due to our copyright guidelines, please do not paste in text you find on another website. Instead, post a link to the information you want people to see.

You can order the booklet right from Leisure arts. Have ordered numerious things from the site and even some instant downloads and they have great service. I have the Vanna binder but I think mine is incomplete and I didn't realize that when I bought it on e-bay so have to start ordering the missing pieces. The only red and white striped afghan I have for Christmas in my binder is baby's first Christmas and it's V stitches for one row then the next row is double in each ch 1 space so don't think that's it. If you find out what afghan from the binder please post. Mary

Mary, I have used that one before, but in her blog, she says it's not quite the snowflake stitch, and when compared to this:

http://mchristi.wso.net/snowflake_stitch1.jpg

it looks a bit different (I have already made a blanket in the Galaxy Stitch).

I know there is a Leisure Arts pattern with it, (#59) but I can't find this one, either!

Archived