Easy Diaper Cover Pattern

hyphenatedlady

Tina's cute and easy diaper cover (size 0-3 months)

100_0100.jpg

Materials

2-3 ounces Caron Simply Soft or other light worsted weight yarn

Size H hook (G if you crochet loosely) Note: to get more stretch out of the waistband you can use a hook one size larger for the foundation chain.

This is for a diaper cover for 0-3 months in size

Yarn needle

3/8" elastic about 16 inches

Small amount of thread and sewing needle

Special Stitches

DCdec: YO insert hook in first stitch YO pull loop through insert hook in second stitch YO pull loop through, YO pull through first three

loops on hook, YO pull through remaining two loops on hook

ch. 72

Waistband

Join to make loop (make sure you don't twist the chain before joining)

Round 1) Ch 3 DC in each across, join last stitch to top of 1st DC with slip stitch, Ch. 3

DO NOT TURN

Round 2) DC in next st and in each around. Join. (put work down for next step)

Make a loop out of the elastic overlapping the edges by at least 1/2 inch. Stitch together securely.

Round 3) Drop the loop from your hook, hold part of the elastic round against your first DC row. Fold the bottom DC row

around the elastic. Insert your hook through the loop that should be folded in front of your joining loop from the previous

round, pick up the loop and pull it through, now SC through both layers matching the loops around. Make sure you are folding

the work around the elastic as you go. Join to first SC.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/hyphenatedlady/100_0104.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/hyphenatedlady/100_0106.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/hyphenatedlady/100_0107.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/hyphenatedlady/100_0108.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/hyphenatedlady/100_0109.jpg

Round 4) Ch 3, DC in same st, *DC in next five, 2 DC in next* around, join.

Round 5-6) Ch 3, DC in each st around

Round 7-8) Ch 3, *DCdec over next two, DC in next five* around, join

Shaping the leg holes

Row 9) Ch 3, DC in each of next 23 st

Row 10) CH 3, turn, DCdec over next two, DC in each stitch across until last three stitches DCdec over the second and third

st from the end, DC in last St

Row 11) (start out counting stitched from previous row) CH 3, turn, DCdec over next two, DC across to the middle of row,

DCdec over two middle stitches, DC in each stitch across until last three stitches DCdec over the second and third

Row 12-13) Ch 3, turn, *DCdec over next two, DC in next two DC* across until last three stitches DCdec over the second and third

Row 14-16) Ch 3, turn, DC in each across

Row 17) Ch 3, DC in same stitch, DC across, two DC in last

Joining to finish leg holes

Turn work inside out, drop loop from hook. You are now going to match the row you just finished to the bottom of your last

round, you want to count the stitches from one leg opening to the other and match row 17 to the center stitches. You are going

to do what you did for the waistband and pull the dropped loop through but slip stitch through both layers to the end of the row. Fasten off.

Leg ruffles.

Join yarn at the back leg hole corner

Ch 3, DC 4 times in same st, *sk 2 st, sl st in next, sk 2 st, DC 5 times in same st* around join last sl st to first ch 3. Fasten off.

Repeat for other leg hole

Weave all loose ends in using the yarn needle.

You can adjust the size by adding stitches to the foundation chain and by adding a couple (or more) to the first row of leg hole shaping.

NOTE: This pattern is VERY forgiving on the rounds. If your counts aren't perfect during increases or decreases it shouldn't make a noticeable difference to the finished item.

I'd love to test your pattern. I've got a grandchild (or two) coming within the next week and I'm collecting really neat baby patterns. I love this one!

Just finished it last night.

I really, really like this Diaper cover. I also like the way you did the elastic, it was a really good way to put the elastic on around the waist. :cheer I finished it last night, here's a pic of it:

post-8194-135897509888_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

So excited to try this. I made a cute little dress with some excess yarn I had and turns out I didn't have enough of my main color to finish the dress according to the pattern, so I cut back on the length and now I'll make these darling bloomers in the accent color to go with it. I'll post pics if you want.

• 1 year later...

I made one with a drawstring instead of the elastic and it is awesome!! it can be small enough to fit a new born but gets big enough to fit my 18 month old!! plus you don't have to buy anything extra just make a long chain and tie a little bow and use that the same as you would use your elastic and instead of crocheting together the pieces where the bow is just go behind it and its perfect.

here is a pic of my 18 month old modeling it, i made it for a raccoon set someone wanted :)

post-35148-135897774296_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived