Project Linus

BPitard

I just wanted to share this with everone. It came from my landlord whose daughter was born (I think) 25 weeks early :faint

Just so you know, your hard work on the blankets does not go un-noticed. The nurses, doctors, children and parents in the NICU at Umass Memorial love the project Linus blankets. Every baby that needs to go through the Nicu for a long period of time gets there own Project Linus blanket. It really helped out the first few days to go up there and see her with her own blanket, and not just a hospital issued white blanket, the blankets give each of them their own identity up there.. So your work is very appreciated.

So, lets keep it up! Lets use this thread to share our favorite patterns, stories of inspiration, etc.

Agreed, thanks for the reminder. Like Dawn, I've been a blanketeer for years, and while I know the blankets are appreciated, it's nice to be reminded from the recipients how such a small effort on my part makes them feel.

I dropped of ten blankets to our chapter on Saturday--6 from me and 4 from Mom. A wide variety, with crochet-edged fleeces, crocheted, and knitted blankets. Mom's infant sized and my child sized; I have my preferred teen-sized on the hook, but need another one pound skein to finish it.

I've been sidetracked working on my Greek Games sweater this week, but I can't wait to get back to my blanket in progress. Can you believe it--I'm craving getting back to a blanket! :lol

And our Make a Blanket Day is in two weeks, the first Saturday in March. Can't wait!

Patty

I have been wanting to do some crocheting for charity but there are so many and I could not decide which one so I decided to look into project linus when I went to look into a local chapter if there was one I was so shocked to find out the national headquarters is right here in my town I can't wait to contact them and get started with them I am so excited I just had to share my excitement with all of you

I started this thread, so I am going to use it to post my frustration with my local "chapter".

I have been looking for a local chapter to join so I could work with them and kinda feel like I was part of the chapter. However, they have been together 12 years and rather than include me, they suggest I get a group together and make a bunch of blankets then deliver to her chapter. I know its wrong to feel this way, but I don't think I am going to deliver any more blankets to her chapter. If I had the space and I could afford it I would start a chapter of my own just to show her how a chapter SHOULD be run and how including people is IMPORTANT.

I honestly don't care who disagrees with me on this, I simply posted to vent. However, if you are a newer chapter and need more blankets please PM me and I will consider sending my contributions your way :) If I do not hear from anyone, I will probably just go back to being an Angel (soldiers angels).

Beth, I appreciate your frustration. No local chapter, have to drive about 25 miles, they were not very open and welcoming but I've continued to donate. They are much more into quilting than the knitted or crochet products. I do get all the emails form chapter coordinator. She just recently sent out a notice that she had quit and encouraged new chapter coordinator applications. I'm thinking about it but like you I have a storage issue and limited places we could meet without considerable fees. I love and do all three disciplines.

Beth - I unfortunately got the same type of response when I first started to try to donate items. I just kept making them and basically started "interviewing" places like local hospitals and pregnacy centers. My sister actually spoke to our minister's wife and she jumped all over my blankets. By that time I had 37 ready to go.

Keep trying! You'll find a local group who loves what you do!

I am glad you understand my frustration and don't think I am just a meanie (almost use a B word there LOL!). My heart is in the right place... I will probably do what you did Tricia and contact places on my own and just deliver directly myself.

Darlene - did you check out the info on starting a chapter at projectlinus.org? They charge you to be a coordinator... and they have a list of rules that you have to adhere to. check it out before you submit that application :)

That's really sad that people would be exclusive while trying to do something for charity! Have you tried talking to your church? I donate blankets to our local crisis pregnancy center and social services center through our church. I think it's great to try to keep stuff local, though I have sent things places, too.

I have seen it happen to where you almost feel like you are trying to join a click so to speak instead of all coming together for 1 cause that is why I chose to go to a different chapter and its a lot more fun they have bazzars and goodies where as the other place turned everything into a free for all like the donated yarn and such where I go now its a lottery type thing where you at least get to get something

I don't belong to a church but if I did that would be the first place I would offer my stuff to.

I just emailed Project Linus main headquarters. I don't expect a response but I feel better now that I have vented to them.

I am going to finish the blanket I started then focus on another charity. Sad. I was so excited about Project Linus just yesterday! :(

That's another problem I have had Dawn. At least working alone there is no free for all. I have found that if you ask the right person you CAN get free yarn to do charity projects.

Anyone in Worcester want to help me get a group together to do work in the name of Soldiers Angels?

I to do a lot of work for Soldiers Angels they are a great group aren't they have donated to them for a few years now as well I used to send a bunch of stuff to my brother and his unit when he was deployed he always made sure some one got something.

I'm sorry your experience was bad and you felt frustrated. Our former chapter coordinator was very much someone who didn't like change and who didn't like to delegate responsibilities. Several of us volunteered to help with blanket labeling, blanket delivery, organizing a MABD--she flatly refused all offers without explanation. And there was nothing we could do, as she was the chapter coordinator. After a few years, it overwhelmed her and she quit. Several volunteers stepped up, re-organized the chapter, and one of the first things we did was have a MAB Day. It was extremely well attended. There are multiple 'levels' on the chain of command, and everything runs so smoothly now it's amazing. Those ladies are to be commended!

Having said that, let me explain a few things: we are a huge chapter. One chapter serving a city of nearly 1 million people.I think there are something like 300 members. Although there is a monthly business meeting open to everyone, I am assuming the same group of people show up for that as anyone who works can't attend a weekday morning meeting. However, there are a lot of smaller groups that regularly meet to work on blankets together: Cactus Quilters, for example, several church groups, several retirement communities. The chapter doesn't get together, except for MABD, to knit/crochet/quilt together. We couldn't, and probably wouldn't want to even if we could.

Chapters will therefore differ depending on the number of members, location, how geographically spread out the membership is, if anyone has expressed an interest in a meeting to work on projects as opposed to the business meeting.

You could either decide to educate the quilting clique by attending meetings, working on your own projects, and generally enlightening them to how beautiful crocheted blankets can be; or, you could work on your own, continue to donate blankets, but not interact with the membership; or you could look for a charity that suits your needs better. There is nothing that says you can't attend a knit and crochet group that meets weekly and work on a blanket if what you are seeking is just companionship. Your state may have several nearby chapters covering different counties; you might look into working with another chapter.

There are benefits to working with an established charity. However, setting up something one-on-one with a local hospital or homeless shelter may be an alternative.

Good luck! Patty

The Project Linus Mission

Project Linus is comprised of hundreds of local chapters and thousands of volunteers across the United States. Each volunteer and local chapter all work together to help us achieve our mission statement, which states:

First, it is our mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”

Second, it is our mission to provide a rewarding and fun service opportunity for interested individuals and groups in local communities, for the benefit of children.

I won't be posting on this topic any more, its getting me upset. Off to crochet something.

Archived