Halycon Perle Cotton, Crochet Thread Size Equiv?

luigiwu

Hi, I'm new here and found you guys while looking for info about Halcyon's Perle Cotton to use instead of crochet thread as it comes in more colors.

I'm not sure what the sizing equivalents are though.

Is Halcyon's perle cotton 10/2 the same as Crochet #10 thread? WPI. 34

Is Halcyon's perle cotton 20/2 the same as Crochet #20 thread? WPI. 68

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks so much! :)

I could have sworn I'd seen other comparison sites, but so far I've found this (last paragraph under crochet threads

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/webcontent3.htm

Perle cotton sizing does not match 'crochet cotton' sizing. This would suggest (per the linked site info) that if you have #20 perle cotton that it must be really tiny, like #50 or #70 crochet cotton.

It does seem odd that there isn't a site somewhere listing the wpi for common crochet threads :think

Interweave Crochet magazine has a listing in each issue of the wpi of every yarn/thread used in the issue. I think these are all of the crochet threads they have used:
Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread size 10, 29 wpi (in the winter 09 issue; fall 06 issue says 25 wpi for the same thing; spring 08 issue says 28 wpi---did it change, or is it because different colors are slightly thinner/thicker???)

Aunt Lydia's size 30 thread, 51 wpi (summer 09 issue)

DMC Pearl Cotton size 5, 23 wpi ( fall 06 issue)

Red Heart Lustersheen, 17 wpi (spring 08) 18 wpi (summer 09)

i think these are discontinued:
Coats Opera 5, 23 wpi (spring 06)
Coats Opera size 10, 30 wpi (spring 07)
Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet, 15 wpi (fall special issue 05)

edited for spelling

Interesting you mention different WPI for Aunt Lydia. I don't have much choice for local thread supply, I use a lot of Aunt Lydia #10 and SWEAR that the thickness varies by color. White always seems thicker than 'natural'.

And I guess I skipped over the WPI info in the original post, sorry. Now I'm confused, 10/2 means size 10, 2 ply, right? But then why is 20/2 nearly the same WPI? Mumble.

Interesting you mention different WPI for Aunt Lydia. I don't have much choice for local thread supply, I use a lot of Aunt Lydia #10 and SWEAR that the thickness varies by color. White always seems thicker than 'natural'.

And I guess I skipped over the WPI info in the original post, sorry. Now I'm confused, 10/2 means size 10, 2 ply, right? But then why is 20/2 nearly the same WPI? Mumble.

I've noticed slight differences in different colors of certain yarn brands, can't remember exactly what now. I understand it is because of the dyes. I wonder what is done to the Aunt Lydia's white to make it thicker than natural?

I don't understand the 10/2 etc system. it's probably explained on the Halcyon site. My head hurts from trying to count the size 20 yarn wrapped around a pencil :lol so I'm not even going to think about the meaning of 10/2, 20/2 etc. right now:lol

Hi guys. Firstly, I'm sooo sorry. I made a typo for the WPI for the Halcyon 20/2. Its 68 WPI (and not 38 like I initially typed. I have updated the original post above.)

Yeah, I looked on their website and couldn't find any info about the numbering. The /2 refers to the plys but that's it. I even emailed them but no reply. I guess I'll just make a small initial order to see for myself to begin with.

• 2 years later...

Late to this party but here's a list i have compiled so far:

In Crochet thread, the higher the # the finer the thread

when noted as "3/2" the '3' is the thread size, the '2' means there are 2 strands plied together.

size-material--------------------WPI--------equivalent

3--cotton-----------------------14--------fingering 4 ply

3/2--perle cotton-----------------19--------superfine, fingering

5---mercerized cotton-----------23--------superfine, fingering

5/2--perle cotton-----------------25--------superfine, fingering

10--mercerized cotton----------25-29------superfine, light fingering

8/4--cotton carpet warp----------28--------superfine, light fingering

8/2--perle cotton-----------------30--------superfine, light fingering

10/2-perle cotton-----------------34--------baby, lace

10/2-tencil-----------------------34--------baby, lace

20--mercerized cotton-----------44--------cobweb, lace

30--mercerized cotton-----------51--------cobweb, lace