projects to do with itchy yarn

CyM

Question

I have received some old yarn called Kitten (it's been discontinued) that is an acrylic with some wool. It is sort of thin, but I think it is supposed to be worsted weight. It is kind of fuzzy and really pretty. However, it is super itchy to me even after being washed. Any ideas for what kind of projects and patterns would work well? I don't think it would work well for a bag because it doesn't seem that sturdy, and I don't have enough for a humongous project. Any suggestions would be quite appreciated!

10 answers to this question

Lanolin. I hate wool until I hand wash it and then soak it in warm water with some lanolin melted into the water. Then it gets really soft and the itchies go away even on fisherman's wool which seem really scratchy when I work with it.

If you can't soften it and have just a little. First thing that comes to mind is scrubbies!

*kitchen pan scrubbie.

*back scrub (I made one out of Red Heart that was itchy and still is, which is surprising as most gets soft for me... just one of those skiens I guess. Works great as a bath scurbbie)

*cleaner scrubbie. Make like a washcloth or dishcloth

*soap holder scrubbie. This can be used to clean with too using all your little pieces of soap.

You could also try to pair it with another, softer, yarn to work with.

Debbi

Make a scarf for someone you don't like.

Only problem, they might actually like it.:lol

I actually like the snuggie idea for dogs. Dogs will lay on anything, trust me. I try to make it comfortable for them, but they don't care if they lay on something or half way down the stairs or half off a chair. :lol Actually my last male dog got jealous of the puppies on my lap and when I sat on a chair he put his chest on my lap, laid down his head on the othe side of me (hide legs on the ground) and closed his eyes.:think

Life is too short to use that itchy yarn. Just donate it someplace and get rid of it. If you think it's itchy now try crocheting with it - your hands will think you were crocheting with steel wool and you will regret it.

Just hurl the stuff. ;)

hee hee.

Thanks for the suggestions. I could think of a few people I might like to make a scarf for. :)

I may try the fleece lined headband thing, because it is a really pretty yarn, just itches! Otherwise, I may pass it on to another unsuspecting person and donate it somewhere. I won't feel so bad about that now that it's been suggested. :)

Thanks!

Archived