Getting started, whats best to buy?

Munkey

Question

Hi, I'm off to buy things tomorrow to get me started to learn to crochet.

Looking on the internet, there seems to be lots of different types of hooks etc, what is best to buy when just starting out? I know some of it is probably personal preference but, as I'm a complete beginner I don't know what size hooks to buy or what type of yarn/wool.

Also what stitch is best to learn first?

Sorry for all the silly questions :blush

Thanks

9 answers to this question

I'd suggest starting with an H hook, and some worsted weight (size 4) yarn. Red Heart Super Savers is a good one to start with.

Learning to chain and do the SC (single crochet) are the foundations for learning everything else. You can google for videos on YouTube of these.

If you are in the UK, let us know - your terminology will be a bit different.

Thank you!

I am in the UK, will the hook sizing still be the same do you think?

I'll have a look on you tube tomorrow then, it's sometimes easier to learn when you can see somebody else doing it, sometimes books can be a bit confusing.

Thanks for your help!

Hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

Since you plan to learn from the internet, you will be seeing both UK and US terms. here's a handy list http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38393

I think that outside the US, hooks are usually marked with mm sizes, here is a list of US/mm sizes http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38391

I saw in your other post that you knit, so you already know how to match yarn and needle. :knit Generally, for crocheting you will want a hook 1 or 2 mm bigger than the suggested knitting needle.

a few good web sites http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/index.htm

http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=53

Thanks so much for your replies, there are some really useful links there. Its difficult to know where to start as there are so many sites with info on, but at least you have given me a few good websites here to get me started already.

Thanks again

I would suggest a multi pack of acrylic or plastic hooks to start with; they are inexpensive. Then when you figure out which size(s) you use most, you can try individuals of the more expensive hooks. I like ones with enlarged handles, so I have settled on Bates w/ bamboo handles.

WW (or whatever the British equalvant is) is easy to start with, & a light color is best to see your stitches.

Start w/ the basics, chain, single, double, ect. Practicing each one till you feel comfortable with it.

It's hard to not jump into a pattern (there are so many out there!), but something simple like dishcloths will give you the repition you need, & give you a sense of accomplishment. That is if you have access to cotton yarn.

If your local thrift shop doesn't have any hooks, buy yourself one each of a Bates and Boye type. One has an "in-line" head, the other a tapered shank and a hook that sticks out slightly. Some of us like one kind, some the other, and some don't care. For me, an H is a good size for a lot of things; your favorite size may vary, but you probably have some hint as to whether you knit tightly or loosely, so you might be able to go in the same direction with your hooks.

I'd use Red Heart Super Saver too if you can get it. If not, try a plain, smooth cotton yarn. Either should be tolerant of repeated frogging. Light, plain colors make it easier to see your stitches when you start.

Having knit already, you know about all the little accessories that you need. Try to go by MM for hook sizes as even here in US there seems to be some slight discrepancies between MM sizes of different brands. As mentioned before, the chain and single crochet are your best bet until you can establish a steady tension and differentiate between the front loop, back loop and bar... then learn your abbreviations and move on to doubles, trebles, double double and double treble, not forgetting half double crochet. Keep in mind the names for these stitches are different in UK. Once you have that all down pat you should be able to handle most other stitches and will want to experiment with techniques. You have taken the first steps to a new adventure in creativity.

4ply worsted weight yarn and a 5.5 (I) Boye hook.

A book with good pictures can be helpful - especially one with a spiral spine and digest size so that it's easy to take along with you. I like the Crochet Stitch Bible.

Can you get Red Heart in the UK?

Hi, I'm off to buy things tomorrow to get me started to learn to crochet.

Looking on the internet, there seems to be lots of different types of hooks etc, what is best to buy when just starting out? I know some of it is probably personal preference but, as I'm a complete beginner I don't know what size hooks to buy or what type of yarn/wool.

Also what stitch is best to learn first?

Sorry for all the silly questions :blush

Thanks

I started with a "H" hook was really easy to use the boye kind although susan bates is easy too. I like red heart and soft yarns depends what u want to make the easy stitch i found to work with was single crochet then build from there get some books and dvds from the library and you tube has great videos

Archived