Favorite Charity

MadeJust4You

This might have already posted by someone else so if so I am truely sorry.

A group of ladies at my church are starting up a crochet for charity and I was just wondering what some of you like to do?

Also any suggestions or ideas on starting this group please let me know.

Thanks in advance.:hug

I make baby hats for the NICU and the well-baby nursery at a local hospital. The NICU doesn't use as many as the nursery (the nursery tells me they average about 250 babies per month!). Being just one person, I could never begin to supply that many hats, but apparently they are very "selective" with whom they give them out to...mostly young moms who apparently would not have much for their babies receive them first. I try to take 10-15 hats per week to them.

I do know that the NICU could use berevement blankets and burial gowns as well, so that might be something that your group could think about doing. I would suggest checking with a local hospital to see what their needs might be. I personally enjoy doing the baby hats because they can be done so quickly and it gives me a feeling of accomplishment.

I also donate scarves to the Advocacy Center here in town that are given to abuse victims and periodically I will make hats to donate to a homeless shelter, but the baby hats are the main priority.

Good luck with forming your group. I know that your members will get a wonderful sense of fulfillment when they see all their good work going to someone who really needs it.

I've made hats for the homeless shelter here. I made all sizes--infants to adults. We have so many homeless people now and a lot of them are families and need help. The center was delighted to get them. You could also do scarves or mittens. Call and ask what they need.

I might suggest a local charity.

I crochet for the crisis pregnancy center in my parent's town and mine.

I suggest calling the coordinator to see what they might have a need for.

By the way, I saw that you are in Tennessee...if you are in the Memphis Area, Birth Right of Memphis accepts handmade things for babies.

Ooops, the other thing I was going to mention was that when you contact a charity to see if you can make things for them, it can be pertainent to ask what guidelines they may have for objects. (i.e. Do they want them labled with care insturctions?, are buttons OK or not?, drawstrings (as on booties) ok or not?) Also, when you call, you may want to have two or three projects to propose. In the case of a crisis pregnancy center, perhaps, hat, booties and/or blankies? What do they have the need for.

You want to make sure that you items you put so much effort into would be able to be put to use, and not set to the side for some reason. Hope this helps.

I use up all my little balls and scraps to make cat toys for my local shelters and rescues. I use up even the smallest foot long scraps combine them together and crochet little balls to fill with catnip and stuffing. If you decide to do this let me know and I can write up a couple of my well loved toy patterns.

I also like project linus which is a national organization with many local chapters throughout. They need blankets for children and infants.

I'm making afghans and lapghans for my local VA hospital. I finally got in touch with one of the nurses there and will be making some for the wheelchair-bound and twin size for the beds

I visited one of the wards every day for a couple of weeks about two years ago and all they had were the plain white sheets on the beds. A few had afghans that added quite a bit of color, so I'm making it my pet project that everyone gets one.

The wards I'll be working with are a part of mental health, substance abuse treatment programs and such.

Archived