video game crochet-along anyone?

arabookworm

Wow that looks like a lot of work. I wouldn't worry about copyright unless you're trying to sell it. If it's for you, I believe it's okay.

I'm not into Mario, are there any others out there?

I was inspired by this:

Crochet Mario blanket whole

and I'm planning on making a sweater with a picture of mario on it (is that copyright infringement?) if it isn't, then would anyone care to join me making some sort of video game themed article? or am I the only one here who plays video games?

Technically, you need permission to use another person's intellectual property, such as a trademarked character. However, most companies aren't going to do anything if you make something for your personal use. (Although I have heard of Disney being very stringent on this, but that could just be a case of urban legend.)

However, because of copyright/trademark laws, for this type of CAL to take place here, everybody would need to design their own original patterns or use officially licensed patterns (and not share copies of those patterns with anyone else). I'm not aware of any licensed patterns of video game characters/logos, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. There may be some patterns out there being distributed (for sale or for free) without stating they're officially licensed or without the designer/website stating that permission to distribute the patterns has been received from the trademark/copyright owner. These patterns would not be eligible to be used in a CAL taking place here at Crochetville, so that we can stay away from any legal troubles related to contributory trademark/copyright infringement.

If you have any questions at all about whether a pattern you want to use would be okay with our guidelines, please send me a PM with a link to the pattern before you post about it. Then I can look over the website, and we can figure out together if the pattern fits with our guidelines.

Wow that looks like a lot of work. I wouldn't worry about copyright unless you're trying to sell it. If it's for you, I believe it's okay.

I'm not into Mario, are there any others out there?

Just to clarify, the trademark/copyright issues would apply to any pattern, whether it's for sale or made available for free.

But if she designs something for her own personal use, and doesn't distribute the pattern to anyone, that is okay to post about here.

Archived