Sign in to follow this  
Krumpet

What is this tool?

Question

My mother used to use a tool that looked like a dome and had strings with wooden 'sticks or handles' hanging down all around it. I believe she used it to knit / crochet / ??

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can you identify what I am speaking of from my cryptic description? Can you point me to an image?

6 answers to this question

Almost sounds a bit like bobbin lace but I don't recognize the dome you are speaking of. Here are images of bobbin lace. http://images.google.com/images?q=bobbin+lace+making&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=UQlzS42pDJTgsQP6iby8BQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC0QsAQwAw Does this look like what you are talking about?

It sounds like a weaving tool. I can't recall it though & cannot find it online. Maybe someone else will have better luck or knows what it's called.

Wiz, that's exactly what I was thinking of--hopefully it's what the OP remembers her mother doing too.

Wow that if fantastic, I don't think I will try it...way to complcated

It's called Bobbin Lace, and makes really beautiful lace items.