Can you clear up casting on?

chenille4

I've been learning some knitting over the last several years, and I'm still trying to figure something out. How do you cast on and not make it too tight for the rest of the project?

I'm planning to make a Jayne Hat for the ravelympics. I've never had good luck with hats in the past, and I'm worried this time that I won't be able to get the edge around my head when it's done. Is there some different kind of cast-on or a technique that helps the edge to stretch with the ribbing? And is there a way to make the edge look nice?

Thanks for your help!

i can give you the note that was in a sock book i just bought to try making socks w/. it said to use the slingshot method of cast on (you measure out a length, make slip knot, put on needle. find center of the 2 threads when held tog., insert forefinger between and bring thumb in also to loop over it... cast on (clear as mud?) since it's stretchier ) AND to use 2 needles to make the cast-on to give it (hold needles together while casting on, then remove 1 needle.

A "Cable cast on" is one that is stretchy and will work well with ribbing. I bet you can find it in a book or on a website. Good luck.

:manyheart

:cheerCable Cast On is my recommendation too.

Here is my tip for working this cast on.

To start with, I knit with what everyone seems to call the English Flick Method.

Make a Slip Knot (make sure you make it so the working yarn is the bit you can tighten it with) and put it onto the needle. Cast on the next stitch by knitting it but do not slip it off the needle, put the left needle into the loop

from front to back, which puts a wee twist into the stitch.

Now, before you tighten the stitch onto the left needle, put other needle right behind both the whole stitch you just made and gently pull the yarn and then work the next stitch in the same way.

You will get used to just slipping the needle behind the last stitch you made.

Try to maintain the same pressure on each stitch as you make them and you will be able to see if the new stitches on the needle all look the same.

I will see if I can find a video which does it the same way.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

:cheerFound this video on Youtube.

Just watched but didnt listen to it so dont know if it is in English.

Good clear picture though so that is all you need.

Hope it works.

Have fun.

:cheerFound this video on Youtube.

Just watched but didnt listen to it so dont know if it is in English.

Good clear picture though so that is all you need.

Hope it works.

Have fun.

That was the cast-on that I was talking about. Perfect video.

:manyheart

Archived