February Charity Blitz 2/18 - 2/23

nicolep

Our all charity blitz will begin 2/18 and run through 2/23. As in previous months, any charity item will count.

Please join us in making this weekend a huge success! Let me know if you have any questions.

Some extra info about the weekend -

Any handmade item that will be donated to charity counts. During the weekend, we post our successes (and any discouraging events that occasionally pop up) and motivate each other to keep on hooking! At the end of the weekend, the host (nicolep) will ask that totals be posted. The host will tally everything up and let everyone know the impact for that month. We can definitely get a lot accomplished in six days!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a big conflict in the form of the Crochet Games of Ancient Greece, but I'll see what I can slip in and how the other project is progressing. :hookMaybe I can work back and forth between the two. :think

I want to remind everyone that the Crochet Games will conflict with this CAL for February. It's really unavoidable at this point since the games start on Friday and run through the end of the month. I decided to go ahead and post the CAL because there are people making charity items for the games. I will be here checking things out and hosting, but will likely not make anything specifically for this CAL this month.

Linda - what size do you make your preemie afghans?

I make mine 18" by 18". The guidelines from the NICU say that the preemie ghans can be as small as 14" by 14" and no bigger than 18" by 18". I just prefer mine on the larger end of the scale. One that size uses 1 skein of variegated RHSS (15 rounds in the solid sided granny square) and then I finish it with a couple rounds of a contrast color. If I push I can do one in a day. This is a sample of what one mine looks like when done. The border is a round of single crochet followed by a round of: chain 1, sc in same stitch, *chain 4, slip stitch in 3rd chain from the hook, chain 1, skip one sc, sc in next sc*, repeat around and join with a slip stitch in the 1st sc of the round.

post-9295-135897503177_thumb.jpg

I can do this! Do you think they will accept hexagon shaped blankets? I actually started one this morning (yes - I get up an hour earlier than I have to so I can crochet while watching the news before work LOL!)

I'm sure they will love them, whatever design you use. We've had some ladies do them as baby round ripples, which are lovely, too.

I have three days before I can start on the Crochet Games of Ancient Greece project and I'm caught up with my quiltghan for the moment, so I'm going to do some crocheting for charity for the next three days. I'm making preemie sized round ripples using some yarn that I've had forever. It's so long ago that I bought it that I don't even remember when that was. A long time ago for sure. It's working up nicely and I'm liking the results. I'll take a picture when the first one is done. Just three rounds to go. :hook

...for more yo-yo's and maybe even some blanket work.:hook

-Marzee

2010 Stashbusting CAL: WTD: 0/YTD: +7

Yo Yo’s for Charity

February Charity Blitz 2/18-2/23

Charity of you choice.

My sutures are due to be removed on Wednesday. I'm hoping to join in slowly as part of my rehab. Can't hold a hook firmly yet but need motivation. I'll at least be checking in and cheering you on.

I'm in! I had lots of fun last time!:D I will decide what I am doing when I tidy out my work basket in the next couple of days...granny squares of some kind knowing me!:lol

Darlene... I am so glad to see you back safely after your surgery.:manyheart I'm glad it is behind you and you are already talking rehab with your crochet hook!:hook

Ok, so I make things for whatever charity I'd like and just post here what I've done?

I can do that. I've got some afghans/lapghans to finish for my local VA, and hopefully can get at least 1-2 finished after doing the olympic thing and a baby blanket.

Ok, so I make things for whatever charity I'd like and just post here what I've done?

I can do that. I've got some afghans/lapghans to finish for my local VA, and hopefully can get at least 1-2 finished after doing the olympic thing and a baby blanket.

You've got it, Marie. It's a time once a month when a bunch of us get together and crochet things as a way to give back to our communities. It lasts 6 days and we cheer each other on and have a good time chatting while crocheting. The projects are as varied as the people who make them. Glad to have you join us. :hug

I usually end up making preemie afghans for our local NICU. Last time I did a helmet liner for the troops in Afghanistan, too. I have two preemie round ripples started for this month already. Since I'm participating in the Crochet Games of Ancient Greece, I'm working on my charity projects whenever I need a change of pace from that project since the two things overlap.

I'm in. The weekend this runs is a weekend that fiancee has to work so I will be able to do this. I will be knitting hats for babies to take with me when I go into the hospital to have this one. I am hoping to get 100 hats made by the time I go in.

You've got it, Marie. It's a time once a month when a bunch of us get together and crochet things as a way to give back to our communities. It lasts 6 days and we cheer each other on and have a good time chatting while crocheting. The projects are as varied as the people who make them. Glad to have you join us. :hug

I usually end up making preemie afghans for our local NICU. Last time I did a helmet liner for the troops in Afghanistan, too. I have two preemie round ripples started for this month already. Since I'm participating in the Crochet Games of Ancient Greece, I'm working on my charity projects whenever I need a change of pace from that project since the two things overlap.

Ok, I'm definitely in, then. Technically I already have my 'olympic' project done but going to add a baby blanket to go with the sweater, so I'll be able to focus on my veteran's afghans during this period.

I probably won't get a new one done, but I think I have one or two that I started that I could finish within that time frame. Great idea!

Archived