Jacob's Ladder Round Ripple 8 pointed star afghan crochet

alostlady2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yay!! I figured it out and I love it!!! Thanks again for sharing!!!

Julee

You ROCK Miss Julee!!!

so........................... got any tips for us on how? :hook

:heart

:mug

I used Monica Kennedy's 8 point round ripple baby preemie afghan found here:

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?grpId=3659174697252379&articleId=281474977270508

I've been trying to get in touch with Monica in crochet partners, ravelry and here. So far no reply.

I hope she doesn't mind my sharing this adaptation.

Everyone it is perfectly fine with me for you to share your innovations.

I feel I can't take credit for this because all I did was starting in round 4: : Ch 3, 3 dc in next dc, dc in next 2 dc, ch 10, dc in next 2 dc, (3 dc in next dc, dc in next 2 dc, ch 10, dc in next 2 dc)around, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3.

Then proceed to half the next row count and do the chain 10.

Next time though I'm trying chain 7 instead. The chain 10 was awfully loose.

I made another one changing colors nearly every round and using the chain 7 instead of 10. It reminds me of those candy necklaces i used to buy when I was younger. 40 years ago. OH MY

So, my version is actually quite different than your version so would it be wrong for me to post my pattern for it? I'm assuming that you had to remove your pattern because it's an adaptation or something like that. Just let me know and I'll get working on it.

Julee

I'd love to see your pattern. I took mine off because I can't get into touch with Monica. It's her work. I just didn't feel right about it.

Somewhere on her gather site, I thought I read that she used a combination of 10 different patterns she had found online.

Pam

Oh wow. Well, I hope you can get a hold of her. I don't have a computer so I'll have to write my pattern up using the tiny qwerty keyboard on my iPod touch but I'll get working on it though.

Julee

Ok, I'm almost done with it. Would you mind if I posted it in the free patterns section? I will give you full credit. It was your idea to incorporate the Jacobs Ladder design into a RR anyways. :-D I'll post it here too (very shortly).

Thanks

Julee

This pattern has not been tested. If you find any errors please PM me. If anything confuses you please PM me and I'll do my best to help. I tried my hardest to make this pattern understandable but today is one of those days where my brain is just fighting me all the way. Lol Oh well.

I wrote this pattern but the design was made possible thanks to Pam (alostlady2). It was her brilliance that combined the two. So, THANK YOU PAM!!!! :-D

Jacobs Ladder Round Ripple Afghan Pattern

Materials:

You can use any Hook and Any yarn you want.

Double Crochet Finishing Technique Stitch *DcFTS* (any better ideas for a name? Lol)-

(yarn over, insert hook in top of next Dc, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, place hook through loop made by the Ch6, yarn over, pull through Ch6 loop, yarn over, insert hook in top of next Dc, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through remaining 4 loops on hook).

Ch4,

Rnd 1: Make 15 Dc in 4th Ch from hook, Sl St in top of Beg Ch3. (16 Dc)

Rnd 2: Ch3, (Dc, Ch2, 2 Dc) in same st as sl st, *Ch 6, Skip next Dc, Shell (2 Dc, Ch2, 2 Dc) in next Dc. Repeat from * to * around. Skip next Dc, Sl St in top of Beg Ch 3 and in next Dc.

(8-Shells, 8-Ch6 Sps)

Rnd 3: Ch3, Shell in next Ch2 Sp, *Dc in Dc, Skip next Dc, Ch 6, Skip next Dc, Dc in next Dc, Shell in next Ch2 Sp*. Repeat from * to * around. Dc in next Dc, Skip next Dc, Ch6, Sl St in top of Beg Ch3 and in next Dc. (8- Shells, 16- Dc, 8- Ch6 Sps)

Rnd 4-?: Ch3, Dc in next Dc, Shell in next Ch2 Sp, *Dc in next 2 Dc, Skip next Dc, Ch6, Skip next Dc, Dc in next 2 Dc, Shell in next Ch2 Sp*. Repeat from * to * around. Dc in next 2 Dc, Skip next Dc, Ch6, Sl St in top of Beg Ch3 and in next Dc. (8 Shells, 32- Dc, 8- Ch6 Sps)

Repeat rnd 4 adding 1 more Dc to each side of Shell until you reach your desired blanket size.

Before you work Finishing Rnd: Twist the first 6 chains and pull the 6 chains after that through (do not twist the second or any other chain after the first one). It will look like the top of a crocheted chain. Repeat that between all 8 hills.

Note: Your very last DcFTS will be worked just like every other DcFTS except you will work the very last set of instructions for that stitch in the top of the Sl St. I really hope that doesn’t confuse ya’ll to much.

Finishing Rnd: Ch3, *Dc in each Dc to Ch2 Sp, Shell in Ch2 Sp, Dc in each Dc to the last Dc (before the Ch6 sp), DcFTS over next Dc, Ch6 loop and Dc*. Repeat from * to * around. Sl St in top of Beg Ch3.

I didn’t make any more rnds after this but if you wanted to you could continue on for a few more rnds in which ever way you like.

That's great!!! :-D I added you a while ago and commented on your 'ghan!!!

I'm gonna go take a nap so I'll check in later (yup, an almost 22 year old taking a nap. Funny stuff. I'm so dead tired right now though and I have NO idea why).

Julee

Way cool!! Let me know how it works. I do just one twist at the very beginning of the ripple to get rid of the gap that would be there other wise though, I don't twist the other ones. I'm gonna give it a try though.

Julee

Beautiful job on the Jacob's Ladder! I love this afghan because when it's done in contrasting colors like you did, it always reminds me of those cakes where you drag the knife through the batter! Very pretty!

Archived