Scarves for Special Olympics

BPitard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I participated in the 2009 scarf project. If you look at the pic of the athletes on the bottom of the page in the link, those are the scarves everyone made for that. The colors were Delft Blue and White. It was a cool project. Thanks for posting this, I might have enough time to make a few for the 2010 Special Olympics.

Sorry I was so vague earlier - I was at work and shouldn't have been online LOL! Here is the post from Red Heart:

Special Olympics 2010 Idaho Winter Games

Today at 11:18am

Warm the hearts and fuel the spirit of the Special Olympics athletes competing in the 2010 Idaho State Winter Games!

In 2009, the Special Olympics World Winter Games invited knitters and crocheters from around the USA and the world to create a special gift for the athletes of the World Games. The response was overwhelming with more than 55,000 hand knit scarves, and in the end created an incredible sense of welcome and well-wishes for the Special Olympics athletes, where the response and generosity is still spoken about today.

With the 2010 Special Olympics Idaho Winter Games approaching in just five weeks, we are hoping to welcome the athletes here in our great state with a personal gift that inspires them to strive for their best in competition while sharing the spirit, kindness and respect of all communities.

Let’s bring the scarves back! Our goal is to provide the gift of a hand knit or crochet scarf to each of the 650 athletes competing in the Idaho Winter Games as they arrive during the Opening Ceremony on March 12, 2010.

Anyone is welcome to knit or crochet a scarf for the 2010 Special Olympics Idaho Winter Games, we just ask that you follow a few simple guidelines to help maintain consistency and uniformity across these gifts for the athletes.

Design: Any design or pattern is welcome.

Colors: Red Heart Super Saver Cherry Red and Red Heart Grey Heather

Length: Approximately 55 inches long

Width: Approximately 5 inches wide

All scarves must arrive by Tuesday, March 9, 2010.

Please deliver or ship to:

Special Olympics Idaho

Attn: Scarf Project

199 East 52nd Street

Garden City, ID 83714

Questions? Please contact Heather Hill at HeatherHill33@mac.com or 208.860.5353.

Updates and details on the 2010 Special Olympics Idaho Scarf Project can also be found here:

Facebook - Scarves For Special Olympics

Twitter.com/OlympicScarves

http://scarvesforspecialolympics.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the post with all the info- And Red Heart is on sale this week at ACMoore! I'm going to stop by tomorrow night on the way home from work and hopefully they have Cherry Red and Grey Heather!

Where do you order yarn from?

I went to "Createforless.com". It really wasn't "less", but they had both colors. Neither Herrschners or Joanns did online. I just wanted to know it was on it's way, so I didn't have to spend the time searching for it.

I got inspired by Holly's post in Crochet Games CAL that she is doing those scarves as a challenge.

I am going to make two scarves myself. I will check Joanne's and see if it have some RH in both colors. :)

Does anyone have a good simple pattern that could be for a female or male. I would like to make one but am fairly new to crochet and haven't made a scarf yet. I have searched a little online but was wondering if anyone had a pattern that they just love to make and is willing to share?

Thanks in advance!!!

I sent three previously, each with a note and in a ziploc per the instructions. It was neat to see the video after all this time, thanks for posting that. Don't think I will bother with individual packets as it looks like that held them up last time. :eek

I am doing a simple V-stitch for my first one. You can always do hdc (half double crochet) or dc (double crochet). Just pick your favorite stitch and have fun :)

quote=KimberlyNC5;1992346]Does anyone have a good simple pattern that could be for a female or male. I would like to make one but am fairly new to crochet and haven't made a scarf yet. I have searched a little online but was wondering if anyone had a pattern that they just love to make and is willing to share?

Thanks in advance!!!

Does anyone have a good simple pattern that could be for a female or male. I would like to make one but am fairly new to crochet and haven't made a scarf yet. I have searched a little online but was wondering if anyone had a pattern that they just love to make and is willing to share?

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm going to be doing a sc in one stitch, dc in the next, sc in the next, dc in the next. Very simple. Works up to be a very nice looking and warm scarf. Just chain an even number plus one, then sc in the first, dc in the next, etc., etc.

I'm going to be doing a sc in one stitch, dc in the next, sc in the next, dc in the next. Very simple. Works up to be a very nice looking and warm scarf. Just chain an even number plus one, then sc in the first, dc in the next, etc., etc.

That's my favorite "go to" scarf pattern :lol Quick, easy, and looks nice! That's what I'm going to be doing also- Didn't get home from work until 7:30 tonight- so didn't get a chance to get the grey heather- supposed to have quite a snowstorm here tomorrow night /Saturday, so I will be stopping tomorrow on my way home. Fingers crossed that they have the grey heather in stock!!

I got a skein of red cherry (last one at Joanne's - phew!) and a skein of heather grey.

I plan to start a scarf during the superbowl CAL. I might do another one during the crochet game.

http://crochetme.com/media/p/94252.aspx

Originally, I was going to do one knitted scarf - simple two rows stripes in alternative colors. But I might do this pattern for 2nd scarf if it go fast.

As I am going with bigger hook size, I should have enough for another one.

Thanks Debbie! So, I would chain an even amount like say 24 plus one making it 25 then so the sc, dc, sc....til the end. Would I then ch 1 and turn and just keep going!

Are you doing stripes since they want red and grey?

Yes, just chain 1 and turn. Your row should begin with a single and end with a double, so just a chain 1 for turning. My apologies for not telling you about the turning chain the first time.

I usually begin with a foundation chain of 161 or 181, depending on how long I want the scarf. In other words, I work long rows, not the short rows where you are constantly turning the scarf.

I use an "I" hook, goes very quickly.

Yes, I will be doing stripes. Two or maybe three rows of each color.

Archived