Does a knitted dishcloth need a border?

champygirl

I very very very new to knitting.:blush I made my first dishcloth this weekend, it's not pretty but I'm sure it'll work.:think;) I just have a hard time with the casting on, I need to practice more:yes. I was wondering if knitted wash clothes needed to be bordered or not? And wondering if they're were advantages and negatives to having a border? Usually when I crochet dishcloths I do a sc around, (unless they're crocheted in around, or I'm working from a pattern that has a shape to them or if worked diagonally.) Thanks for any input and suggestions ahead of time, it would be greatly appreciated.:yes

Hi Champ

I hope someone else comes in to give their opinion who knows more about knitting than I do. I would guess you could use it with or without a border, but I am just guessing. I am really new at knitting myself, so I am not a good one to answer knitting questions.

I just didn't want you to ask a question and maybe not have anyone answer you .

Hopefully someone else can drop in and give you some more educated input .

Good luck !

My mom, who is an expert knitter suggests either a seed stitch border, (her preference), or a garter stitch border. She says 4 stitches on each side and a half inch or slightly more top and bottom will be enough. A border will keep your dishcloth from curling and will make it look finished.

• 2 weeks later...

i 2nd what happytee said. most of the 1's ive seen/done had the border already in/on it. even the idiot's cloth done diagonally; it's got an "eyelet" look to the border edge.

Sandy

most of my dishcloths (the idiot's discloth aka grandma's favorite) is the main one I use, I also use a variation of that one that has a solid border (no eyelet lace). My cloths are all done garter stitch, so it doesn't curl up much on the edges, but I think a border would help to enhance and give a more finished look.

most of my dishcloths (the idiot's discloth aka grandma's favorite) is the main one I use, I also use a variation of that one that has a solid border (no eyelet lace).

I love the grandma's favorite but i haven't seen the variation w/o the eyelet. May I ask where that pattern can be found? thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I love the grandma's favorite but i haven't seen the variation w/o the eyelet. May I ask where that pattern can be found? thanks!

sorry it has taken me a little while to respond...not been here much lately had some virus issues...:( Sent you a pm with a link.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working on the easy diagonal dishcloth pattern and it has a garter stitch border.

I am having problems knitting with the 100% cotton for the dishcloth. I was using aluminum needles but the tension was so tight I could hardly knit it and I had to frog my project 4 different times. I am currently using a set of bamboo needles and it seems to be going better.

Does anyone else have a problem knitting with the 100% cotton and is there a specific type of needle you use with it?

Well, I finally finished the easy diagonal dishcloth I started a couple of days ago. It was quite a struggle, but it is done. I have decided that I won't bother trying to knit the 100% cotton anymore. It was too discouraging. I can crochet with it fine and I will stick to crochet for that material.

Sorry to hear you've been sick. It's been a long winter but hopefully spring is on the way now :rose Thank you!

somehow I missed this reponse until now.:think The virus I was speaking of was computer, lol. But my machine isn't sick anymore. I do hope that spring is just around the corner, I am very tired of cold weather, I am ready to see flowers blooming and all the other wonderful things that come along with spring.:sun

I make the common granny dishcloth all the time. Since I see the pattern all over the place and it has no copyright that I can tell, I don't think there should be a problem putting it here. It's like a recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Everybody's got the same few recipes, it seems.

Row 1. CO 4 stitches.

Row 2. K 2, YO, knit to end of the row. Repeat this row until you have 50 stitches on the needle. (These are increase rows.)

Row 3. K 1, K2tog, YO, K2tog, knit to the end of the row. Repeat this row until you have 4 stitches. (These are decrease rows.)

Bind off.

I think the Peaches and Creme dishcloth is more fun to make but it's too thick for my tastes. For everyday use I prefer the Granny Cloth.

Archived