Learn to Knit -Barbara Walker Afghan Book

JulieKay

I just thought I'd put a thread in here so those who may be working on this book have a place to ask questions and discuss squares. etc .

I am a VERY new beginner, so certainly don't have the skill to lead a knitting group,but I just wanted a place where we could all meet to possibly help each other out,and maybe someone could assist us out there if we get stuck .

I am currently on Square 4 .

Drop on in if you have the book or are interested. It is a gem of a book,and seems very basic in the explanations, so it helps get a newbie like me started in the right direction .

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jude

Well, maybe this will be the week for you to get a good start on square one . You'll do fine. If I can do it, anyone can . I have noticed my squares look a little better with each one, so it must just take lots of practice so the stitches look all even .

Cindy- you have a big jump on us, so you have already done lots of them that we haven't . We'll see if maybe we can all get on a schedule of some type in here so we can complete this in a certain length of time .

Since you are ahead, maybe we will have to complete 2 to your every one ...

I don't know yet, but maybe somehow we could work out a system so we all make progress and get this completed .

If you guys have any ideas, I'm open to them. Like I said, I would not make a good leader for knitting,but maybe all of us together can come up with a plan .

Wow, Sherri --

You have a lot of patience to stick with a project that long ! I guess maybe we could all figure out what type timetable we want to work out, whether we want our own,or whether we will try it as a group to do a certain number of squares in a certain time frame .

I'm really hoping to make one square a week...we'll see how that goes:lol

Sherri....you are one of the most disciplined people I know!!

How about this idea ...

How about,since we are all at different levels and have started at all different times, that each week, we can have either a challenge week or a pledge week ?

Each challenge will start on a Sunday ,and we can take turns making up the challenge for the others, or if you don't have a challenge idea that week, then someone else can lay down the challenge .

This way, we will all be actively working on it .

The pledge week ,we can each come on and pledge to reach a certain level that week .That pledge will only be for yourself, not everyone else .

I'll start out this week to lay down a challenge :

I challenge each of you to finish at least one square. If you are more than half way done with the one currently on your needles, then I challenge you to finish that one,AND another one by next Sunday .

~~~~NOTE : This is ONLY for fun and not to put any pressure on anyone . Don't feel you HAVE to do the challenge, I'm just trying to think of a way that we will complete the project . ~~~~~~~~~~~

good idea, about trying to complete one square a week as a group...we are small...but determined;)

OK...Back to the last side of the border and a pic before it gets too dark!!

I have finished square 29, and am now working on 30. I think that Sundays are going to be knitting days for me. Generally I can't finish a square in 1 day, but at least I'll have a good start. (I told you I was slow.)

For anyone who is contemplating learning to knit, this is a good way to learn the basics and more. When I started I could just barely do a straight knit stitch. I couldn't even cast on, (I got my mom to do it for me), and now I'm almost to the cable section. And if a klutz like me can do it, anyone can!:yes

Cindy, you HAVE given me encouragement!! I appreciate it...a lot!

No knitting today...tomorrow, though, I'll start it. Tonight when we're relaxing in front of the TV I'll be working on the project for the new CAL.

Sounds good guys -- whatever way works best. Maybe if we keep on task we'll get this done yet.

It sounds pretty daunting,when we have people that started so long ago, and it does really take the time to make just one knitted square, but we'll keep chipping away at it and get it done yet .

As in losing weight in Weight Watchers: any big undertaking should be looked at as a marathon...not a sprint.

I'm going to plow through these squares no matter how long it takes...or what they look like:lol

And I'm using odds and ends here, as on the CAL. I don't have enough of any one colors for a big coordinated project...but do have quite a pile of skeins on hand:D

Hi knit and purlers. :waving

I took a couple of really long breaks from working on this. Don't remember if I said that before. You do pick up speed after awhile. A really good friend saw me when I first started and she told me she'd never ever try to knit (I taught her to crochet about 10 years ago). Well, about a half dozen squares in she ordered the book and bought some needles. She said it help seeing how awkward I was at first, and also seeing me develop a rhythm.

Judy

You've got the right idea. You sound very determined to finish and that is what this will take, I think .And this sounds like a good year for you to use up a lot of spare yarn,so maybe by the end of the year, you will have all your extra yarn used up and can start next year with all new .

Sherri - yep, you are probably right -- I think gradually the speed will pick up on this once we get familiar with holding the needles,etc .

It's just a lot different to learn than crochet, but so far, this book has helped a lot .

Whoo, you gals! You have no idea how happy I am here, seeing this KAL going on. :D

I am up to square 28 or is it 29 ? I am doing 1-2 LTK squares per week. It's possible to finish one square in 2-3 days. So far, I managed to do just one square within a day.

I vowed that I will finish this UFO by December 10th, 2010 (my birthday date). I bought this book as my birthday gift to myself back in December 2000. That's when I made the vow. :rofl

I did few squares in 2000 but I got distracted by life changes, etc. I start it up back in 2008, about the same time as Sherri. I work on it on and off over time. Last week or so, I just start it again after few months hiatus.

If you need some help with co-hosting this KAL, I will be happy to oblige.

Few tips: Pick out the colors that you LOVE, any color combinations are awesome in this afghan, two lights and two darks. If you can, do it in wool. Acrylics can be tiring, even with the risk of no blocking. There are few squares that are too small or big. So, try to watch the gauge. Use the first square as a gauge guide.

Also, it help to do one repeat at a time, especially if you are doing two squares at same time. It's rather a marathon, not a sprint. :) This afghan is rather fun when I know others are doing it along the way. It's extra motivation for me! I already have other ideas from this book. I might do some charity squares or doing a freeform tote using different stitches in smaller gauge.

Once again, thank you. :c9

Good morning Diane !

Boy, am I glad to see you ! I will gladly take all the help you want to give us,and all your advice is very helpful .

You are certainly more than welcome to help out , and I don't need a CO-Host, I need a HOST,if you want the job.

You are much further along than me. I think a couple ladies are right in your general area as far as square number .

You certainly HAVE wanted to do this, by having the book that long and never giving up . Good for you !

So, welcome,and jump on in . The more ,the merrier . And any help, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

We can maybe egg each other on to keep going with this. I think there is a good chance that you will make your goal of having it done by your birthday .

We'll all try to help keep you on task if you start sliding ,and you can do the same for us .

Forgot to say :

I am on square 4, just finished row 13 . Maybe it'll help if we come in and put where we are each day,that will keep us going too .

So far, I have used many different colors. not sure I like that idea now, but re-doing any squares sounds like climbing a mountain to me. They take so long, I believe I'll just use the ones I have done and keep going ,

re: colors and using whatI like...

Diane your point hit home. I'm using odds and ends for Julie's CAL, so in order to keep me going on this I changed my mind about colors and I'm going to pull out my huge bag of purple yarn (different shades, including variegated) and use black for contrast.

I won't want to waste this stuff so it'll help keep me on track since it's so pretty to work with,

I hope to start square one today:knit

:hi Diane. You make some very valid points about yarn. I'm using RHSS and the green that I'm using is very scratchy. The other colors are not like that, just the green.

I did nothing else yesterday and got square 30 completed. For now, I'm still going with the one square a week approach. I have lots of other things to get done.

Photos will be coming in a day or two.

Julie, black for bordering and or joining will be your best friend with lots of different colors. Good job on square 4. :yes:clap

Judy, I cannot wait to see your blanket in purple. :yarn

Hi Sherri

Thanks for the idea of bordering the squares in black -- that probably will make it look better doing it that way .

I think if we can all keep posting in here and doing even a little bit on our squares each day,maybe even if it's only one row, you will be making slow but steady progress each day .:yes

:hiHi Diane!!

I have one repeat done on square 30. I have three earlier blocks that I want to redo though, because I decided against using the color and yarn that I knit them in. It was RHSS and I don't like how rough and scratchy it feels.

I saw this finished afghan on Ravelry recently, and it made me decide to do all my one-color blocks in off white to get a similar look. My other colors are green and brown. My yarn is Caron pounder and Bernat Berella. Both are quite soft and they are similar in texture and weight despite being different brands.

Archived