Copenhagen Jacket

Tia

I had a ball of the required yarn leftover from another project, so I started trying out the back panel. I have done some cables before, but not this many, so it should be a good challange, especially because I really like how cables look, my Irish ancestry coming out I guess!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea! I'm not a lurker anymore! The UPS guy just delivered my yarn from JoAnns's. I got the Naturally Caron Country in Claret. I've also never done cables although I've done plenty of post stitches in my day. Well, here goes...:hook

Roli, you should be fine. Cables are basically post stitches, some just longer, some around the stitch ahead or behind.

I'm wondering if I want to do mine in the brown now. I found that the cafe color I got maches a skirt I'm trying to crochet and I'm not sure if it would match enough. It's the Waves of Color skirt from Crochet Today and the waves in the hem have black in them, but aren't cabled or post stitches. So I thought maybe I would use this color to make a cardigan to go with the skirt. So I may choose another color for this. Not sure what.

Debbi

All your photos look very good. I had to start over by working with some scrap yarn in a light color to get the gist of the stitch pattern. I'm hoping that the cables will look better when the project is completely finished. They look very clunky.

I also am having a bit of a problem trying to locate the correct stitch for the slanted BPTR that results in the zig-zag pattern on the side. I always manage to get it into the wrong stitch.

I know that Tammy wrote this pattern but it's really beyond me how anyone can design something that seems so complicated. She must be a genius! :nworthy

Here's a photo of my swatch with scrap yarn and an H hook. You can see that I crocheted right over the zog-zag stitch on the 2nd row! But I think I have it figured out now. I'll do another swatch in scrap yarn and then start on the jacket. It's snowing heavily--what else is there to do? :)

post-2917-135897502349_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of my swatch with scrap yarn and an H hook. You can see that I crocheted right over the zog-zag stitch on the 2nd row! But I think I have it figured out now. I'll do another swatch in scrap yarn and then start on the jacket. It's snowing heavily--what else is there to do? :)

Your swatch looks good, are getting gauge?

You're in the blizzard too! :snowI haven't measure it but the snow is a couple inches higher that the patio table! And it's still snowing, but I don't have to tell you that. :lol

I'm in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. The power has flickered several times. I've filled up two gallon pitchers, two stock pots and several thermos' and travel mugs full of water in case of a power outage. But if we lose power, I've got a gas fireplace, 3-burner gas heater downstairs and a gas stove/oven. So I think I'll be okay.

My mom called and said my sister is without power and her place is all electric with well, so no water for her. Hope they manage okay (3 kids).

Keep warm and safe you guys! We just have scattered flurries and wind in SE Wisconsin, and I'm still cold. Hopefully I'll get a chance to run to Michaels later today to buy yarn for this project, since it seems like perfect weather for this project!

You're in the blizzard too! :snowI haven't measure it but the snow is a couple inches higher that the patio table! And it's still snowing, but I don't have to tell you that. :lol

I'm in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. The power has flickered several times. I've filled up two gallon pitchers, two stock pots and several thermos' and travel mugs full of water in case of a power outage. But if we lose power, I've got a gas fireplace, 3-burner gas heater downstairs and a gas stove/oven. So I think I'll be okay.

My mom called and said my sister is without power and her place is all electric with well, so no water for her. Hope they manage okay (3 kids).

Yep, our snow is also up to the picnic table. You are fortunate to have alternative heating. We have gas heat but it won't come on if the power goes out. Our neighbors have a fireplace so we might have to go over there. :yes

I got my yarn! I'll being using Peacock Blue, fortunately they had enough, they didn't in most of the other colors I would have wanted. Now to start swatching!

I'm having a problem with the horizontal zig-zags at the edges. I can make the first one but when I turn the work and try to make the one going in the opposite direction, I have a problem finding where to place the hook after the 2 YOs of the FPTR. Do I put it around the post of the zig below it? I noticed when I do that, the yarn slides down the post a bit and the zag doesn't look even with the zig. If I try to place it into a stitch, I can't find the skipped stitch in which to place it.

Any thoughts from you guys who are breezing through this?

I'm having a problem with the horizontal zig-zags at the edges. I can make the first one but when I turn the work and try to make the one going in the opposite direction, I have a problem finding where to place the hook after the 2 YOs of the FPTR. Do I put it around the post of the zig below it? I noticed when I do that, the yarn slides down the post a bit and the zag doesn't look even with the zig. If I try to place it into a stitch, I can't find the skipped stitch in which to place it.

Any thoughts from you guys who are breezing through this?

Sometimes the one row doesn't look quite right until you do the next row. Doing the next row pulls some stitches below it a certain direction and then it all looks right. I remember having to play around with turning my work early, just after a zig zag to do the next zig zag to see if I was doing it correctly. I frogged the first 4-6 rows several times before I 'got' the pattern.

Oh thanks, Teresa! Just one more question...when I make the zig zags on the edges, should I be doing my post stitches around the post of the zig zag on the row below? There's not some mysterious skipped stitch that I should be trying to locate, is there? :think

Oh thanks, Teresa! Just one more question...when I make the zig zags on the edges, should I be doing my post stitches around the post of the zig zag on the row below? There's not some mysterious skipped stitch that I should be trying to locate, is there? :think

I don't think so. The post sts are made into the post sts below so that you have a vertical line of post sts on the front side. The zig zags are next to the post sts. But you know, I've changed the pattern and kinda doing my own thing now, so I'm going from memory. Maybe someone else can shed more light on it for you.

We had 30" of snow. It finally stopped yesterday at sundown. The last couple days have been really quiet, no planes, no traffic, no dogs barking, hardly any birds chirping. Our streets have not been plowed yet. My DH is stuck at a hotel near his work.

I've been having a LOST marathon on Netflix instant view, doing dishes & laundry and calling my folks/sister. I haven't lost power, so that's good. Now they are calling for MORE snow on Tue., another several inches!

Okay, I think I have it down, finally! :clap I've never done anything with cables so I wasn't used to how they can look in crochet. The zig zag stitches along the edges were giving me a problem because they wouldn't lie down properly. But as Tia said, the subsequent stitch will pull up the one from the row below. Once I stopped agonizing and started going with the flow, things became easy! I've hit gauge on the chosen yarn. I'll post a new photo later.

I did my zig zags around the post stitches. I thought that's how it was suppose to be done:think. But I could have been doing it wrong. I guess you could do it either way, see which you like. I think I'll keep mine this way.

I'm going to start working on mine when I'm done with a few WIPs (I know, I keep saying that), but I am so close to finishing two (okay one I just started, but it's quick).

Debbi

Here's a photo after about 20 rows completed. I can see that this project is going to take a while...:P

Looking good! My first long panel is 19" long now and I can see that I'm going to run out of yarn. Not quite sure how much more I'll need, so I'll wait and see.

Finished the guage swatches today, and got gauge with all three, so I'm all set to start friday night.

With the side zigzags I went into the treble zigging or zagging below it, and found it laid nicely once you get a few rows in.

I did my zig zags around the post stitches. I thought that's how it was suppose to be done:think. But I could have been doing it wrong. I guess you could do it either way, see which you like. I think I'll keep mine this way.

I tried it that way first, Debbi, and the stitches kept slumping down. Teresa told me that they look better after a few rows and she was right. I've got it all worked out now. I also have 3 other WIPs to finish so this will be a slow go for me too. :juggle

Looking good! My first long panel is 19" long now and I can see that I'm going to run out of yarn. Not quite sure how much more I'll need, so I'll wait and see.

Oh-oh! Maybe changing the stitches has something to do with it. I thought about changing the stitches too but since I had ordered the exact amount called for in the pattern, I was afraid to make a lot of changes. I hope you can still get your dye lot...:(

Oh-oh! Maybe changing the stitches has something to do with it. I thought about changing the stitches too but since I had ordered the exact amount called for in the pattern, I was afraid to make a lot of changes. I hope you can still get your dye lot...:(

I'm using Knitpicks bare (undyed) and can get more no problem. I will dye the pieces before sewing them together.

Archived