Copenhagen Jacket

Tia

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Voilet would be pretty.

I'm going to do some swatching to see what yarn to use. I crochet loose and may need to go down to a different yarn with the hook. I like using Red Heart Super Saver (yes really, and yes on sweaters:lol) but using a G hook and crocheting loose may require a thinner yarn. I'm almost finished with a sweater in Bernat Baby Sport and F hook and I love it so far. But I could go down a size with WW and a G hook. Although that may not even work. Luckily there are 3 guage swatches to try (including the pattern stitch).

If you can, can you post a pic?

Tia, this is the pattern I chose to use with the yarn my sister gave me for Christmas. Looks like I'll be keeping you company also!

I'll be doing this in Antique Teal. Hope I have enough yarn. The nearest Hobby Lobby to me is half the country away!

I'm glad you're doing a CAL for this, because I really love the pattern...but I'm just going to watch and see how you all do for now. I swore off any new projects until I finish my WIPs this year. And look! It's January 28 and I still haven't broken that resolution! :lol

But it'll be good to see what you all create and if you have any troubles, so that when I start making it someday a I can refer back to this CAL. :D

Red Voilet would be pretty.

I'm going to do some swatching to see what yarn to use. I crochet loose and may need to go down to a different yarn with the hook. I like using Red Heart Super Saver (yes really, and yes on sweaters:lol) but using a G hook and crocheting loose may require a thinner yarn. I'm almost finished with a sweater in Bernat Baby Sport and F hook and I love it so far. But I could go down a size with WW and a G hook. Although that may not even work. Luckily there are 3 guage swatches to try (including the pattern stitch).

If you can, can you post a pic?

I'll definitely be posting pics along the way. Red Heart might be a bit thicker than the yarn called for, and using a smaller hook to get gauge might result in a stiffer fabric. I think you could get that baby sport to work, I'm using a thinner yarn, but as a result I'm having to work in extra stitches to compensate. But my long panel is exactly 8" wide.

Tia, this is the pattern I chose to use with the yarn my sister gave me for Christmas. Looks like I'll be keeping you company also!

I'll be doing this in Antique Teal. Hope I have enough yarn. The nearest Hobby Lobby to me is half the country away!

Yay! Welcome :hug.

I'm glad you're doing a CAL for this, because I really love the pattern...but I'm just going to watch and see how you all do for now. I swore off any new projects until I finish my WIPs this year. And look! It's January 28 and I still haven't broken that resolution! :lol

But it'll be good to see what you all create and if you have any troubles, so that when I start making it someday a I can refer back to this CAL. :D

Lurkers are welcome too!

This is stunning!!! Thanks for starting this crochet along. I will need a few days to get yarn, but I hope to join you! (The good thing is my staff got me a JoAnn's gift card for Christmas) I will have to pick a color and let you know.

I've completely 6 rows and I'm not sure I'm working the cables correctly, they look more like a zig zag. I'm going to try to find some videos of how to crochet cables and maybe those will help.

The problem is: I'm not sure how to work the skipped posts, i.e. in which order to do them...from the outside in or from the inside out? :think

Hi!

I SO want to do this pattern, but I am totally swamped with WIPs right now. I would like to be a lurker, as well, and learn from your experience. The cables are gorgeous, but they scare me!!! Good luck!!!:hook

Tia,

I was thinking yesterday that maybe this would make a nice "jacket" to wear back and forth to work when it's a bit cold and on the weekends around town (or just to the grocery store). So I looked at the RH at the store (was there anyway and needed a different color for some charity hats) and saw the nice Cafe color. I bought one skien to check the pattern, if it would show cables well (they had 3 bins, so they shouldn't sell out just yet).

And since I have a hard time waiting, I worked the guage pattern stitch, but wasn't in the place to crochet anything and should have waited. :(

The ends on the long panel are kind of a zig zag, at least in mine. I wasn't sure I was doing it right either. I was just doing a guage swatch of the panel. But yes, the ends are a zig zag and don't really seem to go in a stitch to keep it in place. I forgot to skip the stitch behind it so my first row sticks out, usually the pattern says that (skip stitch behind post stitch just made) but this one didn't and I should have known better.:P

For the skipped stitches, when worked, they will be on the wrong side of the piece. The post stitch on the right side. So when you turn the work and look at it from the rigth side, all the skipped stitches will be behind the post. At least that's how mine worked.

Oh mine was larger, but only by about 1/2 an inch wide. Length I'm not sure because, as I said, I think I skipped a row. I'll double check when I'm in a better place to work a patterned crochet piece. I do like the color and the cables show great on this color.

Even though I need to redo this, here's what I have done (and remember, I think I missed a row and my first row end sticks out because I didn't skip the stitch behind the post stitch).

Debbi

Debbie, you're looks good but if each of your panels is a 1/2" wider, your jacket will probably end being a size too big.

I understand that the there is a zig zag on each end of the panel, it was the cable in the middle that looked zig zaggy to me as well and not twisted like I thought it ought to look.

I found some videos and it turns out I was doing them correctly (working the skipped sts from the outside in, i.e. working the 1st skipped st 1st, not last.) I found other videos for twisted cables and like the look of that better, so I'm going to see if I can't incorporate that into the pattern.

Also the zig zags near the edges are confusing the heck out of me, so I think I'll slant them 'left to right' on the left edge and 'right to left' on the right edge. If that's still confusing me, I'll slant them all the same way. :D

I know it's going to be bigger, that's why I'm doing it this way with this yarn (I figured it would be). I said I wanted it like a jacket to wear when it's cold. Not just a sweater. Although I don't think that much bigger. I can always adapt the panel "edging" to fit what I want it to be, and the umderarm panel. I can always go down a size when I get to the panels if I need to (I'm still not too thin that I can change sizes:lol).

And you didn't specify which posts you were talkinga bout. Sorry. I thought you meant the ends, which are zig zaggy. I don't think the middle (of mine anyway) looks too zig zaggy. They don't look twisted, but not zig zaggy (my opinion only). Maybe yours does. Can you post a picture?

I'm sure yours will work out.

I already frogged it and started over. I went to an even smaller hook, and even more stitches per row than I had before. I figured out a way to make the cables like I want.

It's slow going, but I'm still trying to get used to the pattern, hopefully I can pick up some speed soon. I should have a pic by tomorrow afternoon.

Before I chose this pattern I went to Ravelry and looked it up in the pattern section to see what other people thought of it. There are some great pictures of the finished garment as well as some really good hints and tips. I think 28 people are posted as working on it.

Initially I had chosen another pattern but when I looked it up on Ravelry no one had anything good to say about the pattern and the finished garment was atrocious!

Tia I'm glad you found a way for it to work for you.

I think I may have found why the center cable (in the long panel) isn't twisting. There's possibly an error. If you notice, the BPc has you "working behind the 3 PBtrc". then if you notice the FPc has you "working behind the 3 FPtrc". I'm guessing that the FPc should say "working in front of the 3 FPtrc." I tried this and here is what I've done.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/Debbi-a1/copenhegen2.jpg

Oh, I wish I could do this, but I just can't afford the money for the yarn right now & I'd really want to do something like that in the right kind of yarn for it.

One gripe I have about the Caron patterns & the Coats too actually, is that they either show the pics so small you can't really see it or the yarn color is so dark you can't see it then either. I wish they'd lighten up the pics & show full front & back views. Some of these are gorgeous patterns. I've seen some people have completed on Ravelry, but you'd never know it from the company pics.

Good luck everyone!

Before I chose this pattern I went to Ravelry and looked it up in the pattern section to see what other people thought of it. There are some great pictures of the finished garment as well as some really good hints and tips. I think 28 people are posted as working on it.

Initially I had chosen another pattern but when I looked it up on Ravelry no one had anything good to say about the pattern and the finished garment was atrocious!

Oh, is that right? I'll have to go over there and look. I love this sweater too but in my size it will take a mountain of yarn. I'll follow your crochet-along as a lurker, though. I'm sure I'll be making it myself once all my wips are finished. :)

Tia I'm glad you found a way for it to work for you.

I think I may have found why the center cable (in the long panel) isn't twisting. There's possibly an error. If you notice, the BPc has you "working behind the 3 PBtrc". then if you notice the FPc has you "working behind the 3 FPtrc". I'm guessing that the FPc should say "working in front of the 3 FPtrc." I tried this and here is what I've done.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/Debbi-a1/copenhegen2.jpg

The only place I see where they say to work 'behind' or 'in front of' is where you make the zig zags near edges and the posts on either side of the cable. The cable part will just say to work cable over next 6 sts. I think the reason why it's not twisted is the you do a cable and then the next two rows you just do FPtr, then you do another cable st.

The way I'm doing it is to work a cable every other row (on the RS of course) and do 6 dcs over the cable on the WS. So I only need to repeat two rows not rows 2-7. But then again I'm not doing the zig zags. I should have known I couldn't leave this pattern alone! :devil

Oh, is that right? I'll have to go over there and look. I love this sweater too but in my size it will take a mountain of yarn. I'll follow your crochet-along as a lurker, though. I'm sure I'll be making it myself once all my wips are finished. :)

Welcome :lurk. Some peoples notes say that it doesn't take as much yarn as listed. And keep lurking, I know I'm going to be here for quite a while as I'm doing this in fingering weight yarn with and E hook. :hook Come and join us when you're ready.

Archived