What size rectangles to make for poncho?

MarvieN

Question

I've got an idea for a poncho, but I've never made one using two rectangles before. I used to have a site saved in my bookmarks that gave directions for measurements and such but the site seems to be gone now.

So my question is, what size rectangles should I be aiming for? or how do I measure myself to figure out what size I need to make? And in case I'm just too clueless to figure out how to assemble them once I've made them, can anyone point me to a picture to follow?

Thanks in advance!

12 answers to this question

Okay, found it! It's in the fall 2004 issue. The instructions are for sewing, but according to the directions you can just as easily substitute knit or crocheted rectangles (haven't gotten arounnd to trying it yet, but the one in the photo looks pretty). It says to use two 32 1/2" by 20" rectangles... It didn't get into sizing, it's pretty much presented as a one-size thing. On each of them, it looks like you match the short side to one end of a long side of the other piece.

(Mods, sorry if this violates the rules, but it seemed like such a general concept that it wouldn't be violating anything...)

I think:idea the length needs to be about 3 times longer than the width, but if you want to check that, there ar some Ponchos either on Lionbrand or Berrocco web-sites. If you Google them you should find their sites then just search about a bit. I was just looking about last night and saw a couple.

I made my 9yr old Grandaughter a Poncho using this method, without a pattern, and found it really is imrortant to have it right or your neck hole is too small. I had started off too wide so had to make it longer to accommodate the extra width. Got there in the end and it looks wonderful.

In my mind, I imagine that the length ended up 3 times the width.

I just had an idea:idea, if you have a normal V shaped Poncho that fits, measure from the neckedge to the hem on the straight, not at the point, and this will tell you how wide you need it to be to make that size Poncho, then measure right around the bottom and halve, this should give you the length you need to make each piece.

I have a small childs Poncho, made in one piece, in the conventional manner, and it is 10 inches long and 30 inches around the bottom of half. So your pieces need to be 3 times longer than they are wide.

What a pity I had not realised that when I was making my Grandaughters one.

Funny how something pops into your head like that.:idea

Hope you understand all of this rambling. Just look at Lionbrand if you dont.:think :think :think

Have fun.

Colleen

Keep in mind (and it took me a while to figure this out) that the closer the two measurements are to each other, the smaller the neck hole. So if you do 2 rectangles 22x27, your neck hole will be fairly small, if you do 2 rectangles 20 X 30, your neckhole will be larger. I would take newspaper or some paper, and make yourself a template. Once you start playing around with your template you'll see how changing the length or width will affect the outcome of your poncho. It sort of makes sense, once you start playing around with the paper. I think when I made mine I used computer paper and taped it together.

It is so funny that you would ask this when I had my absolute favorite poncho pattern out because I made one last weekend. This is not my pattern. I think it is someone on here, on the copy I printed it says "JScholssma" so if anyone knows who that is please give them credit. The rectangle size for an adult M/L she gives is 29" wide and 13 1/2" high. It's right on the money. All of my daughter's friends were begging for these last fall and I could do this pattern in my sleep. For worsted weight I used an I hook and chained 70. This made a kids size 8/10 if that gives you an idea. It uses about 8 oz. of yarn. I made these in all kinds of color combinations because it's really easy to change at the end of each row. The one I whipped out Sunday was to fit my super petite receptionist. She's a maybe size 4. I made it with Homespun and a N hook, chained 50. By the time I put the fringe on it, it will use the biggest part of 2 skeins.

Dana,

Thanks for putting that link in there. I'm such a nerd, had no clue. I found the pattern before I found this board and wasn't sure where I had come across the link.

Beth

Archived