knooking hook

merkity

You can get 'amazing needles' or 'magic needles' which are the same thing on ebay and on etsy. I have some I got years ago from someone on ebay and I have some more I am waiting on. It's pretty bad when something is sold 'exclusively' at Walmart and none of the Walmarts have them grrrr.

• 4 months later...

I was surfing the net the other night. Can't even remember what I was looking for when I ran across knooking. Saw a Youtube video and I was hooked! I have been crocheting for 40 years. I tried a little knitting now and then, but I would lose stitches too easily,get frustrated, and I would give up. No one has posted here in a few months. Just wondering if anyone is still knooking.

I bought the Knook kit a couple of months ago because I've tried several times over the years to knit and just couldn't do it. I have to say, I don't like knooking. I find the cord a nuisance. It made me decide that I have to learn to knit now, no giving up this time.

I tried knooking and didn't like it either.

I had learned to knit as a teen around the same time as crochet, a little before actually, but dropped the knitting and just crocheted for the intervening decades.

2 years ago I decided to pick up knitting again, and tried knooking first...the thing I didn't like was the cord, it is much easier to pick up stitches from a sturdy knitting needle with another needle than from a floppy cord with a hook IMO.

I was taught (and re-learned) to knit continental combined, I recommend at least the continental part if you want to learn knitting, since hold the yarn in the left hand as you would crochet. Also circular needles are easier to handle than straights.

one of our area walmarts had the basic knook kit with 3 (i think) hooks and the strings and books clearanced for $5.00 I got one the other day, its here somewhere in my stash lol

if any one is interested, I'd be glad to pick some up and ship em to ya. just lemme know in a PM

I tried knooking and didn't like it either.

I had learned to knit as a teen around the same time as crochet, a little before actually, but dropped the knitting and just crocheted for the intervening decades.

2 years ago I decided to pick up knitting again, and tried knooking first...the thing I didn't like was the cord, it is much easier to pick up stitches from a sturdy knitting needle with another needle than from a floppy cord with a hook IMO.

I was taught (and re-learned) to knit continental combined, I recommend at least the continental part if you want to learn knitting, since hold the yarn in the left hand as you would crochet. Also circular needles are easier to handle than straights.

I'll try the Continental and see if that goes better for me. Thanks!

Good luck! :) Another tip that worked for me, as I was re-learning and watching videos, I tried to hold the left-hand yarn the way they showed me and I just wasn't comfortable. I tried tensioning the yarn exactly as I did for crochet, and it worked fine. One less new thing to learn!

• 4 months later...

All right, already...Sooo I gave in and bought a Knook Kit..I thought it couldn't be all that hard...It really wasn't, but I just had a hard time getting comfortable with it...It seemed awkward to me...I crochet more than knit and thought this would give me more variety...I have given up and put my Knooking supplies on their own little shelf...Perhaps I'll try again when my patience is at an all time high...I know I'll just have to be persistent and never say NEVER...

I was very tempted to try the Knook. But since I already knit, I thought it would just mess me up. Has anyone else thought the same thing?

:manyheart:manyheart

I was very tempted to try the Knook. But since I already knit, I thought it would just mess me up. Has anyone else thought the same thing?

:manyheart:manyheart

Yes. Since I already knit, I see no need to knook. Exactly what you said, Linda. However, I understand different tools for different folks. :)

Walmart now has a kit, even in their stores without extensive craft sections. I was very surprised to see it there today, especially since the Walmart I use most in town isn't the one with all of the fabric and other art supplies.

• 3 years later...

I have a friend who owns a 3D printer, and it recently occurred to me that I could have him design and print out custom-sized knooks instead of relentlessly searching the Web for places to purchase them.

This might be an idea for folks who want knooking hooks in sizes other than the ones sold by Leisure Arts.

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone:  

I have read all your comments about "Knooking".   They are quite interesting.   Long years ago--long before what is now called "Knooking"-- was once called the Amazing Needle.  The amazing needle was made of wood, not plastic.  The company was based in California.  There were some patterns designed by Janet Rehfeldt and Nancy Nehring.  I still have those Amazing Needle kits.  

Recently I enjoy Tricot Crochet, which is very similar to Knooking.  However, it is worked in the round, and without seams.   The specialty interchangeable cabled crochet hooks that I like to use are made by 3 companies:   Skacel, makes the metal Addi Crochet Clicks;  Tulip, makes the Bamboo cabled hooks; and Denise makes the quality plastic cabled hooks.   The sets are pricey; however, they are worth their weight in gold and tricot crochet.  I have a set of all three of the above brands.   You can view them at:   www.skacelknitting.com;  www.tulip-japan.co.jp; and www.knitdenise.com .  Smile for me:  Tell them Joan A. Davis recommended them to you !!!  

The knook is difficult to work in the round; it is difficult for left hand crocheters--no one enjoys a craft which makes our hands hurt nor the finished product has to be only be wash clothes.  However, on either of the three brands, I listed, I have taught left-hand crocheters to tricot crochet in the round.  AND HAVE FUN!!   With tricot crochet,  like knooking, you are really knitting in the round on your cabled crochet hook.   I posted some hats I have made on my Facebook page.   You can make circular shawls, scarves. hats.     

Thanks for allowing me to make my comments.  post-29610-0-61530800-1444927305_thumb.jpg

Archived