knooking hook

merkity

I purchased 2 locker hooks from ebay. They were only $11 for both, including shipping. I also purchased susan bates hooks, the cheaper white, plastic ones at joanns for $2.99 and smoothed the thumb rest down a little and drilled holes in the end. The only issue I'm having with these modofied hooks is the shoelace being too bulky to easily slip the sts past the 'eye' I figured I'd need a thicker cord because I was working with bulkier yarn, but it's not too bad. They were easy to modify. I might even try filing down the sides of the hole I made so the cording lays down in it (hope that makes sense)

Oh! I wanted to add that I worked worsted weight yarn with the locker hook, and while the hook seemed a little too small at first, I got used to it, and my sts weren't too loose....they turned out nice. IMO. :) I used scrap yarn for my cord then.

Now if you get the circular crochet hooks that unscrew at the ends... you can just unscrew one... use the one with cable to knook ... but have the ability to put it back together.

:heart

:mug

You can buy a 40" circular crochet hook.... cut it in half and have two hooks with attached cables.

Cutting in half may give you too short a tail.

You may find it a bit easier to work "Knitting with a Crochet Hook" stitches if you but the cable at the base of the second hook.

I did this with a set of circular crochet hooks so that I would have both hooks with a reasonably long cable AND an "identical" hook that could be used for "not flexible cable" stitches - particularly since I like Tunisian.

I am not sure "yet" it may be possible/easier to alter Clover's new Tunisian hooks to use for this technique - that is as soon as I get over the mental block associated with terminally defacing a tool (as in if it does not work it will be destroyed ) <G>

There is a new book out called Knit 1 Purl 2 in crocheting. I just purchased it from Annie's Attic. Now I have to wrap my mind around the concept of knitting with a crochet hook.

I did this with a set of circular crochet hooks so that I would have both hooks with a reasonably long cable AND an "identical" hook that could be used for "not flexible cable" stitches - particularly since I like Tunisian. >

Wheat,

I'd love to know how you do it with a permanent cable attached. I get this question and lot. So far I've been telling ppl that it's possible, but awkward because (as far as I can tell) you have to leave the cable & hook in the work until the next row has been worked.

Do you have a work around for this? Am I telling folks the wrong thing? Thanks!

This is really interesting. Can any knit pattern be done this way?

People are working on patterns. Though I don't think all patterns are interchangable. I have done k and p and am currently practicing a cable swatch. I have done a m1f and it turns out nice, but that is about all the knitting experience I have, so I haven't tried any patterns that have anything more than those sts. I believe it is more the increases and decreases that may work out to be different, but again, I'm new to knitting, so my experience is limited.

This is really interesting. Can any knit pattern be done this way?

Yes, as Amy said, we have discovered in the Raverly Knooking forum that the nature of Knooking means that not every two-needle knitting pattern will translate exactly. However, we're working together to try and create a new "language" and stitch guide that will help us adapt as many as we can.

But it's not all about the knitting, it's also about being able to combine our crochet skills with knitting ones in whole new ways. :hook

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just saw this "new" way of crocheting this evening and I am on a search! I have crocheted forever and can knit but knitting does not give me the instant gratification I require and the crochet patterns never look enough like knitting. I cannot wait to try this. I feel a new obscession coming over me. LOL I am anxious watching this thread.

Diana

this is the first I've heard of Knooking but I LOVE the idea, hmmm I have a ton of hooks and some I wouldn't mind working on to change up, oh yes I sense a new addiction coming on

I just saw this "new" way of crocheting this evening and I am on a search! I have crocheted forever and can knit but knitting does not give me the instant gratification I require and the crochet patterns never look enough like knitting. I cannot wait to try this. I feel a new obscession coming over me. LOL I am anxious watching this thread.

Diana

I saw an ad for this in my current issue of Crochet Today, and I tried to go to one Walmart and they didn't have any of these. I was so disappointed! I really want to try it out. Some of the patterns they showed are super cute.

Yes you can follow any knitting pattern when knooking.

"Any"? It's possible to do knitting maneuvers like

yo (yarn over)

ssk (slip slip knit)

k1b (knit in row below)

kfb (knit in front and back)

M1 (make one)

psso (pass slipped stitch over)

knitting in the round? (seamless hats)

Admittedly, I've only watched one short video on knooking, and I'm only a novice knitter. But "any" sounds pretty good....and I have an interchangeable crochet hook set, and I'm pretty sure they would work!

DCM

"Any"? It's possible to do knitting maneuvers like

yo (yarn over)

ssk (slip slip knit)

k1b (knit in row below)

kfb (knit in front and back)

M1 (make one)

psso (pass slipped stitch over)

knitting in the round? (seamless hats)

Admittedly, I've only watched one short video on knooking, and I'm only a novice knitter. But "any" sounds pretty good....and I have an interchangeable crochet hook set, and I'm pretty sure they would work!

DCM

I am a crocheter at heart and very new to knooking. I havve been told that I will be able to do anything a knitter can do.

Maggi,

Our WALMART had them in a cardboard display with some other small knit and crochet books/pamphlets. The Knooking set was not on the wall by the other hooks and needles. This display box was actually sitting on the bottom of the shelves and was by the other knit and crochet books. Just don't want anyone to miss it if they are looking for it hanging by the other crochet hooks and knitting needles. I almost missed it at my store.

JILLfromWI

Went to 4 different Walmarts in the past 3 days. Not one of them carried it, nobody to ask in the department, (one dept was the back corner of the store, it's now 1 aisle.). Hardly any yarn in 3 of the stores, a lot of the stores don't even carry yarn anymore.

Archived