Hello from Planet Blanket

planet blanket

:welcome Hello from Virginia! I think your project sounds awesome. I'm going to check out your website later on. I'll likely be making you a square, though it will have to wait a couple of weeks so I can finish an afghan I'm currently working on. I'm sure the information is on your site, but just incase it isn't, are there any particular yarns you do or don't want used?

thankyou so much for wanting to make something for the project. all i ask is the size is kept to 12cm square or 24cm square, so they all join together without hassle. other than that the design, materials and extras (if you want) are entirely up to you! that way i feel the project will receive as much variety as possible :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PROJECT UPDATE:

First of all, thankyou to everyone who has become a fan, and has shown interest to the project! I have had so many emails and views on the site in the last few days, which makes me so excited about the future for this project.

I have got quite a few crochet professionals adding to the project; those with amazing books and blogs/websites out there! Planet Blanket is also already being featured in 2 government newsletters. I am hoping to add some charity sponsorship to the project soon, and I have also contacted the Guinness World Records for information on any large blankets etc.

If you know of anyone who can knit or crochet, friends or family, who might be interested in this project, from anywhere around the world please let them know. This could be a great opportunity to work with like-minded people, and get your work shown to many people.

Thanks again!

:)

If I could find a way to set up a fund-raising system for the project, which charity would you like the money to be donated to? I have always been a fan of animal and children's charities, but I would like your ideas as, after all, it is your project too! Do you have a specific charity you always donate to, or one that is close to home? I would love to hear any readers ideas about this. Please comment on this post, and it will hopefully help me come to a decision.

Thanks

Jenn

I've always been a fan of the World Wildlife Federation and The Nature Conservancy. There are others, but I think they are strictly US charities, so that wouldn't be fair.

Hello,

I would like to contribute a square from Lexington, NE. It formerly was called Plum Creek and Nebraska Football Team, The Huskers colors are red and white so my square will be the colors plum, red and white.

~~The Charity~~

~~~I believe the children of our entire planet need their cries heard. Their voices have been hidden under the many blankets of ignorance for too many years. Let us remove those blankets and free the children with each stitch we crochet.~~~

KathyWho

Hello,

I would like to contribute a square from Lexington, NE. It formerly was called Plum Creek and Nebraska Football Team, The Huskers colors are red and white so my square will be the colors plum, red and white.

~~The Charity~~

~~~I believe the children of our entire planet need their cries heard. Their voices have been hidden under the many blankets of ignorance for too many years. Let us remove those blankets and free the children with each stitch we crochet.~~~

KathyWho

Thankyou KathyWho, I shall PM you with my address and info to send your work too! :) A childrens charity is an excellent choice, do you have one in particular that you can think of that would benefit from Planet Blanket. In the UK we have the NSPCC as our main children's charity.

Thankyou KathyWho, I shall PM you with my address and info to send your work too! :) A childrens charity is an excellent choice, do you have one in particular that you can think of that would benefit from Planet Blanket. In the UK we have the NSPCC as our main children's charity.

Any Childrens Charity that deals with Child Abuse...Thank You..:)

So yesterday I chose a charity to help during this project, which is EveryChild. When I asked readers about what type of charity to aid, the majority suggested children charities that deal with abuse and neglect. I chose EveryChild as it deals with these issues, plus others, throughout the world, which was another criteria for me to find. Here are some quotes from the EveryChild website, to create a better understanding of where donations are used:

For over 25 years, and in over 15 countries around the world, EveryChild has been fighting to protect children without the care of a family, and those at risk of ending up on their own. By working with families, communities and governments, we ensure that the simple and practical initiatives we put in place to reach and protect vulnerable children will last long into the future.

Millions of children around the world have to cope not just with growing up in poverty, but growing up alone, separated from their families.

Orphaned by AIDS, abandoned into institutional care, escaping violence, trafficked into a life of prostitution or forced into child labour – these children are at their most vulnerable. Most at risk of ending up on the streets, in danger of abuse and exploitation.

EveryChild keeps children safe when they are alone and vulnerable, either within their community, or through crisis care and support. We protect children at risk by keeping families together. And we get children back into the care and security of a family environment, wherever we can.

I hope every reader appreciates my decision with this charity, and also hope that we can help these children to make better lives for them. I have added a sponsorship button on the right hand side of the page, which takes you to Just Giving, the website which is helping with the donations. Donations can be made and tracked there. Due to WordPress technicalities I cant seem to add the status box from Just Giving, which allows the donations etc to be viewed directly on the website, but I will work on that… For now I will update the donation status with posts.

Thankyou in advance for any donations, and I hope you feel, like I do, that this is a worthy cause.

Jenn x

Archived