Haiti Disaster

BPitard

We put out a box in the kitchen at work yesterday afternoon for World Cares, a local charity that works with the Red Cross, and which also worked during the tsunami. By this morning at 9:30, there were four large bags of t-shirts, socks, toothbrushes (all in unopened packages), bandages and first-aid supplies, etc. If you want to donate a 'thing,' that's what the agencies need.

Otherwise, a check or online donation is best. As tonyal pointed out, the last thing we want them to do is waste time sorting through handmade blankets and scarves (and you know people would donate hats and scarves to a tropical nation, they just would; their intentions would be the best, but they simply wouldn't realize that was inappropriate). We need organizations moving foodstuffs and medicines in as fast as possible to Haiti.

Patty

Another thing I noticed, for those wanting to give a monetary donation, when you use paypal to pay for an ebay purchase, you can donate to the haiti fund at the same time (they added in a line item for that). Perhaps if you have any ebay purchases coming up, then you can use that too.

Just in case there's anybody who hasn't heard, you can donate to the Red Cross through text messaging. By texting "Haiti" to 90999, you donate $10. It will be added to your phone bill. It only takes a couple of minutes, and while you can opt in to receive news from the Red Cross, you can also choose not to. There's more information on this page on the Red Cross' website.

I went to Haiti on a Missionary trip in 2000. Very very poor country and lots of unrest.

It is very hot there, so I dont know how many would use afghans.

I amplanning on making comfort dools and sock monkeys or any stuffed animal. I KNOW the children in the villiages WILL appreicate it.

To be sure my pkg gets to the right place and delivered , when my box is ready I will send it my churches regional missionary director.

Just thought I'd share my idea with you.....

I went to Haiti on a Missionary trip in 2000. Very very poor country and lots of unrest.

It is very hot there, so I dont know how many would use afghans.

I am planning on making comfort dolls and sock monkeys or any stuffed animal. I KNOW the children in the villiages WILL appreicate it.

To be sure my pkg gets to the right place and delivered , when my box is ready I will send it my churches regional missionary director there.

Just thought I'd share my idea with you.....if anyone wants to help make any of these dolls / animals and send them along pm me for addy.

It will take awhile to make and gather a bunch so by that time sending / receiving things should be a bit easier. Thanks

Of course money would be the most immediate need at this time. I did come across an organization that is collecting handmade items such as washcloths, or lightweight blankets. You can also donate new items such as hygiene items clothing ,first aid and more Bev's Country Cottage has more information on her site if anyone is interested

According to the news, they do not want any clothing, blankets or what ever handmade goods. They want money. They said they just don't have the means to distribute charitable clothing goods and such. I thought of wanting to help by making something, but they just wouldn't accept it. They have all kinds of phone numbers to assist with monetary donations. It's not the same thing as when good people got together to donate things for Katrina victims.

This is soooo different. They just said that money is what was needed, but I don't feel comfortable with that.....at least not yet.

I agree that it seems strange not to send something handmade and comforting, but think about this... Haiti is in the tropics and is HOT almost year-round. It's in the 90's down there now. As nice as it would be I don't think an afghan would be much help!!;)

From what I've seen on the news and read in BBC - they're very small international airport is completely overloaded. They are telling the airliners to carry enough fuel to circle for a couple hours and land and refuel at any other off-site location.

What these people need now is clean water and medical care. I highly doubt that an afghan in a tropical island would be practical.

They are being taken care of. The US and the UN are right on top of things. The Red Cross and other organizations that were made to handle these things are in the middle of it. The hospital ships are stationed outside the harbor (it's too shallow to get in close).

If you feel moved to help these people then please donate thru the organizations that are capable of helping them.

Use the money that you would have for your yarn purchases this week and donate to Red Cross or another good location. Or use your coffee or breakfast money for one day. if we all did this it would make a big difference. You do not have to send in alot of money, just alot of us need to help. They are the poorest of the poor and it would break your heart if you saw them BEFORE this disaster.

UMCOR (The United Methodist Committee on Relief) also takes donations of money and items. Although they are asking only for money right now, you can give items for a health kit. Go to their website and they have a list of items that you can send to make kits that they give out. The list is very specific (nothing can be added to what is to be put in the kit) but if you want to help in that way you can do that. The website is http://www.gbgm-umc.org/umcor. It will give directions on how to ship the kits (or take to a local United Methodist Church). Just a note, if money is given to UMCOR, all the money goes directly to Haiti relief efforts.

I'm currently working on a Haitian Doll to sell and I plan to donate the proceeds to the Red Cross. Ever little bit helps even if all you can donate is $1 it's adds up.I saw last night on Larry King that 50 cents will pay for the mix to purify water for a family of 4.

Based on the destruction I just saw on the news, they need food, water, medicine....inflatable hospitals are being flown in by Doctors w/o Borders because the hospital buildings collapsed. Haiti is so poor and so politically unstable that UN peacekeepers are stationed there (some of whom were killed or are still trapped in rubble).

I think it will be a long time before the Haitians can benefit from any material things that an individual can send to them. But if you go to the websites of Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders you can make a contribution. If you don't want to do that online, you can make a contribution in person to the Red Cross in your community.

I think this is so true. I just made a donation for myself and for my husband through the Red Cross site. Two separate transactions took less than two minutes.

I understand people do not trust other governments, heck we don't even have complete faith in ours in The United States, but ALL people need water, food and shelter no matter where they were born.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but you can also send a monetary donation through Sears. I have seen warnings about ficticious organizations soliciting donations, but feel comfortable that by donating through Sears the money will indeed reach them and help fulfill some of their needs.

Archived